What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Revenge of the Black Dragon aka. Death of Bruce Lee

Saw it yesterday again from the new german bluray ( same as  "The Film Detective" release only there are more extras on the disc).  What a great movie. Nice settings showing Hong Kong in the seventiens. Also the clothes. we see here everybody wears bell bottoms and very ger shirts. It is like a time capsule. Choreography is simple but effective. Nice kicks and fist fights more in the way you see it in japanese karate movies. I think this is because Ron van Clief and Charles Bonet are experts in japanese styles. And we have weapons like katana and nunchaku, sai. The endfight is fast brutal and bloody. In supporting roles are Jason Pai Piao, Linda Ho, Yuen Qiu (the landlady from Kung Fu Hustle in here tweenties she shows some amazing kicks in a streetfight). Addy Sung Gam-Loi in a non fighting role. Lau Hok-Nin is the main villian.

Liked it alot and the german Mediabook https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B095GS1JQB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  realese english friendly is recommended.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 2:50 PM, kuenfist said:

Revenge of the Black Dragon aka. Death of Bruce Lee

Saw it yesterday again from the new german bluray ( same as  "The Film Detective" release only there are more extras on the disc).  What a great movie. Nice settings showing Hong Kong in the seventiens. Also the clothes. we see here everybody wears bell bottoms and very ger shirts. It is like a time capsule. Choreography is simple but effective. Nice kicks and fist fights more in the way you see it in japanese karate movies. I think this is because Ron van Clief and Charles Bonet are experts in japanese styles. And we have weapons like katana and nunchaku, sai. The endfight is fast brutal and bloody. In supporting roles are Jason Pai Piao, Linda Ho, Yuen Qiu (the landlady from Kung Fu Hustle in here tweenties she shows some amazing kicks in a streetfight). Addy Sung Gam-Loi in a non fighting role. Lau Hok-Nin is the main villian.

Liked it alot and the german Mediabook https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B095GS1JQB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  realese english friendly is recommended.

While looking at your link, I saw a movie called Kung Fu 10 Finger aus Stahl.

What is it ?

The details say that the actors are Wen Chiang Lung, Yi Yuan and Liu Ping, which makes me think that it could be Shaolin Kung fu, but the cover art doesn't show any of these actors, nor any rickshaw , so I wonder what is this movie...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

While looking at your link, I saw a movie called Kung Fu 10 Finger aus Stahl.

What is it ?

The details say that the actors are Wen Chiang Lung, Yi Yuan and Liu Ping, which makes me think that it could be Shaolin Kung fu, but the cover art doesn't show any of these actors, nor any rickshaw , so I wonder what is this movie...

Yes it is Shaolin Kung Fu. So if you have the Vengeance Boxset from Eureka of Joshep Kuo you don't need the german Blu.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, kuenfist said:

Yes it is Shaolin Kung Fu. So if you have the Vengeance Boxset from Eureka of Joshep Kuo you don't need the german Blu.

Thank you very much !

• Like 2

I watched Kung Fu King in it's German release today.

Great movie, too bad that there wasn't any English option.

Too bad too that Queenie Kong didn't have more fights, and longer ones...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I watched Kung Fu King in it's German release today.

Great movie, too bad that there wasn't any English option.

Too bad too that Queenie Kong didn't have more fights, and longer ones...

I'm almost sure that a Mandarin version with English subtitles of this movie exist somewhere, because near the end of the movie, there is a line with both English and Chinese subtitles that appear during the movie...

I need to check the dvd rip of my French language VHS I made a long while ago in order to see if the movie is cut or not, and if I understand better some points of the plot that weren't very clear for me...

• Like 3

Militant Eagle

While there's some stodgy pacing here how can anyone not love a movie where there's a bald giant henchman wandering about with a giant club.Plus Bai Ying and Barry Chan are always worth seeing.

Shanghai Killers

James Tien and Maria Yi star in this GH early 70's actioner, revolving around the blood sword and Tien's seeking revenge for his father's death. While James is a little po-faced here it's a decent movie and i recommend KFR's new custom blu ray.

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

KUNG FU KING - Cheung Lik helping a hitherto poor family defend their land on which gold is discovered against local gangsters/ corrupted authority. Nice and frequent action, ok plot with the usual questionable decisions. Young Stephen Tung spotted. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

KUNG FU KING - Cheung Lik helping a hitherto poor family defend their land on which gold is discovered against local gangsters/ corrupted authority. Nice and frequent action, ok plot with the usual questionable decisions. Young Stephen Tung spotted. 

I watched it a few days ago !

I would say that it's almost a non stop action movie, and yes, I recognized Tung Wei, who had a few good fights during the movie.

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang
22 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I watched it a few days ago !

I would say that it's almost a non stop action movie, and yes, I recognized Tung Wei, who had a few good fights during the movie.

So far, this is my favorite Cheung Lik movie! I'd like to see him in a sword movie. Looking at his filmography, it seems he was not in many, and if so he didn't play lead. 

• Like 3

I've made my way halfway through the Kuo box. Everything in there except for 7 Grandmasters is new to me. Both the Bronzemen films were excellent Carter Wong vehicles in the Shaolin study of MA films. The first one was the better because it had a little bit more of a story and plot to it IMO. Enjoyed the second one a as well, love the visuals with the colours and lights done in the chambers. Solid stuff!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

So far, this is my favorite Cheung Lik movie! I'd like to see him in a sword movie. Looking at his filmography, it seems he was not in many, and if so he didn't play lead. 

I don't even know which movie of this to choose as my favorite ! I love them all ! He shows a kind of furor in his fights that remind me those of Yu Tien Long and Bruce Lee.

• Like 4

Black Dragon's Revenge

Supercool Ron Van Clief is paid $100,00 to fly to HK and find out why Bruce Lee died. On arrival he hooks up with his buddy the Latin Panther Charles Bonet.They then spend a fair bit of time walking around the streets looking cool and hijacking a rickshaw driver. Meanwhile wise old sage Chan Lau spouts nonsense to his disciples including Jason Piao Piao, they aso want to know who killed Bruce. Not a great movie by any stretch but an entertaining one, Ron's acting is as stiff as a board and his reaction to tragic news is the same as if he's been told it was raining outside. I picked up the new grman mediabook, same print as the Film Detective release but it's on a pressed disc, not a BD-R.

• Like 6

On 12/17/2021 at 12:28 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

I remember there was an interesting discussion on frame trimming over in this thread which goes into the technique in some detail -

Yes frame clipping The bane of so many Kung Fu movies to quote my post in that thread! 

• Like 3

The Concrete Jungle (1974)

Gracy Tong Ka Lai was in the film industry for a decade, but made a number of films that MLB Hall of Fame pitcher Mordecai Brown could have counted on his pitching hand…..three.  The Concrete Jungle was the second picture with the third and final film coming in 1983; then she was gone.

Sharing only the same title as the “women-in-prison” film eight years later, The Concrete Jungle is a film under the radar.  The story starts small as Fei Hsiao Chi (Gracy Tong) appears to be a random victim of a gang assault.  She is rescued by chance as Chen Chien Chong (Lo Lieh) stumbles upon the cowardly act and teaches the perpetrators a lesson.  In the process of this heroic act however, Chen leaves behind his work ID badge.  And given the fact that one gang member was killed at the scene makes our hero a suspect by the police.  Matters become complicated however as Fei chooses not to inform the police of the assault; this will ultimately lead to constant harassment by one of the gang members (Michael Chan Wai Man) and leaving Chen without a witness to his innocence.  Chen spends the rest of the film dodging the police and slugging it out with constant surprise attacks by the perps.

The story takes an interesting turn however, and it becomes clear as to the reason for the relentless badgering of Fei.  The plot of The Concrete Jungle pans outward as we are given a view of one incident then revealed how it fits within the entire story.  The screenplay is fairly tight and does a good job at connecting events.  Lo Lieh is cool as ever and Michael Chan Wai Man is excellent as the villain you love to hate.  Lau Kar Wing and company did a bang up job in the choreography department as Lo Lieh used his legs and elbows to break down opponents -and doing so in a practical, efficient manner that so many times misses the mark in “outnumbered” fights.  Just a shade under 80 minutes, The Concrete Jungle is a nice little film under the direction of Lo Chen.

P.S.  I can't seem to locate this dvd anywhere.  I stumbled upon this film on Youtube....recorded off a badly worn VHS copy at that.

concrete jungle poster.jpg

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 11:07 PM, morpheus said:

Gracy Tong Ka Lai was in the film industry for a decade, but made a number of films that MLB Hall of Fame pitcher Mordecai Brown could have counted on his pitching hand…..three.  The Concrete Jungle was the second picture with the third and final film coming in 1983; then she was gone.

Sharing only the same title as the “women-in-prison” film eight years later, The Concrete Jungle is a film under the radar.  The story starts small as Fei Hsiao Chi (Gracy Tong) appears to be a random victim of a gang assault.  She is rescued by chance as Chen Chien Chong (Lo Lieh) stumbles upon the cowardly act and teaches the perpetrators a lesson.  In the process of this heroic act however, Chen leaves behind his work ID badge.  And given the fact that one gang member was killed at the scene makes our hero a suspect by the police.  Matters become complicated however as Fei chooses not to inform the police of the assault; this will ultimately lead to constant harassment by one of the gang members (Michael Chan Wai Man) and leaving Chen without a witness to his innocence.  Chen spends the rest of the film dodging the police and slugging it out with constant surprise attacks by the perps.

The story takes an interesting turn however, and it becomes clear as to the reason for the relentless badgering of Fei.  The plot of The Concrete Jungle pans outward as we are given a view of one incident then revealed how it fits within the entire story.  The screenplay is fairly tight and does a good job at connecting events.  Lo Lieh is cool as ever and Michael Chan Wai Man is excellent as the villain you love to hate.  Lau Kar Wing and company did a bang up job in the choreography department as Lo Lieh used his legs and elbows to break down opponents -and doing so in a practical, efficient manner that so many times misses the mark in “outnumbered” fights.  Just a shade under 80 minutes, The Concrete Jungle is a nice little film under the direction of Lo Chen.

P.S.  I can't seem to locate this dvd anywhere.  I stumbled upon this film on Youtube....recorded off a badly worn VHS copy at that.

If I'm not mistaken, out friend @bigrogie has it, and still if I'm not mistaken, it seems to me that it's from him that I got it, because of Adam Cheng, who plays Gracie's friend (if I remember well) and...doesn't have a single fight in the movie !!

On 1/1/2022 at 11:07 PM, morpheus said:

And if I remember well too, Gracie was married to Lo Lieh before or after this movie, I'm not sure...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

And if I remember well too, Gracie was married to Lo Lieh before or after this movie, I'm not sure...

They were married in 1976, so that does explain the hiatus.  The split more than likely occurred in the 80s.  Adam Cheng indeed does not have a single fight.  Sadly, Concrete Jungle is quite typical as more than two-thirds of women who are sexually assaulted do not come forward out of shame or fear.  Tong played the role quite well.

• Like 2

Adventure for Imperial Treasure (1979) - There's an "Absolute Worst Kung Fu Movie Ever" thread floating around here that was created circa 2008. At least two users mentioned this among their picks--although one user is a bit suspect: he also hated Blooded Treasury Fight. Don Wong Tao plays the eldest son of Architect Lee Lin, one of a group of Ming patriots in the early days of the Qing Dynasty responsible for guarding the location of some treasure belonging to the deposed dynasty. An evil official (Lung Fei) has his men kill Lee Lin and Wong Tao flees to a mountain inhabited by a former Shaolin abbot. He eventually finds the abbot, who trains him to fight against Lung Fei. There are some other characters, including a beggar kung fu master, a kung fu woman, and an old man (who turns out to be the abbot's son).

Is the movie among the Worst of the Worst? No, not really. It's not great though. There isn't much adventuring. The Imperial Treasure is never actually seen, either. We're supposed to believe that Don Wong spends three years in training at the same mountain where Lung Fei and his men attacked him, but they could never find the place until (coincidentally) Wong completes his training. The alternate title, Disciple of the Shaolin Master, is more accurate in terms of what we see onscreen. The fights aren't bad, but nothing to write home about. This is a rare example where the best fighting on display comes during the training sequences. After The Hot, the Cool, and the Vicious, Wong Tao mainly allowed Southern styles to eclipse his tae kwon do training. He does a lot more kicking than usual here, especially during the training scenes. And then he inexplicably doesn't use his feet in the final fights. Weird.

• Like 4

On 12/18/2021 at 10:26 AM, Django said:

Is this the one where there is a character called Woodcock? 😆

Principal Skinner (about the Bolivian Tree Lizard): "It's already wiped out the Dodo, the Cuckoo, and the Nene. And it has nasty designs for the booby, the titmouse, the woodcock and the titpecker."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Two Assassins Of Darkness

Wong Tao and Chang Yi complete with cool hat are the title characters in this rather weak effort. Tung Wei and a few familar faces appear but it's all very lacklustre.

• Like 3

Back Alley Princess

Despite the film's title and poster art suggesting lots of 70's basher action there's not too much of it in this tale of orphaned and destitute Polly Shan pretending to be a young boy,teamed up with an older but dumber Samuel Hui to rip off various people to survive. They try to con Tien Feng and his family,are rumbled but end up being taken in by them. Way over long at 122 minutes,this Lo Wei effort reads like a who's who of the mid-70's GH acting workshop, the only surprise was Sammo didn't appear (well i didn't spot him) the action is sporadic,Carter Wong,Angela Mao ,Han Ying Chieh have some but it's limited.Worth a watch for the who's who cast.

• Like 2