What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

NoKUNGFUforYU
I just rewatched this and I gotta say I love this movie. I have to get a poster of that slow mo shot where Lung Fei and the man in white are walking down the street with their gang. The one huge problem I have with this movie is the final fight. It gets really boring.

If you are talking about 4 Real Friends, that too me is Wang Yu's best work in terms of basher fight scenes. It looked like he really tried to do martial arts form in that one, not just flail away.

Watched Crush last night, and while it is a good print, I just don't see what the fuss is about. No offense, but it looked like Pai Piao needed more training- which I can see he got later in his career.

• Like 1

Coliseum1972
I just rewatched this and I gotta say I love this movie. I have to get a poster of that slow mo shot where Lung Fei and the man in white are walking down the street with their gang. The one huge problem I have with this movie is the final fight. It gets really boring.

At least you enjoyed it then....I tried anyway ;)

• Like 1

Last night I rewatched Hell's windstaff (been a few years). Even though white lettered english subtitles were camouflaged in front of Hwang Jang Lee's white suit:mad: I will never get tired of watching it. Does anyone know where I can find an english dubbed version?

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Someone on ADC made a custom version, uncut, with almost all English dub. ADC is like fight club, though............

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
Last night I rewatched Hell's windstaff (been a few years). Even though white lettered english subtitles were camouflaged in front of Hwang Jang Lee's white suit:mad: I will never get tired of watching it. Does anyone know where I can find an english dubbed version?

The Wutang Soldiers of Darkness 20 pack has an English version.

• Like 1

THE TRAITORIOUS

Starring: Chang Yi, Carter Wong & Sammo Hung

Gave this an airing the other night (last time I watched this was on VHS). This is my type of movie, 'Shapes' galore. Carter Wong is actually good in this one, i'm not one of his biggest fans, but he uses 'Crane Fist Style' so that was enough for me. Sammo and Chang Yi are the baddies, with Sammo looking evil with his 'White Hair' (Fox) doing a decent Mantis Fist, sometimes he did look a bit uneasy, but hey it's Sammo.

This was the FLK eng dub print with a couple of minutes of subs near the beginning, where the dub wasn't available, on my version, the subs actually got stuck on the last line, but no issue with my viewing pleasure. I would highly recommend this to all 'old school' fans,

4/5

Bless:cool:

• Like 1

blue_skies

Invincible Armour – A good film but not among my favourites personally. I'm not really a big fan of iron armour or opponents that can't be hurt except for one tiny vulnerability.

• Like 1

Invincible Armour – A good film but not among my favourites personally. I'm not really a big fan of iron armour or opponents that can't be hurt except for one tiny vulnerability.

What??!!! Everything about Invincible Armour is top notch.How can it be any less than a 5 out of 5? The movie was Ng See Yuen's finest directorial effort in my opinion. The production values are big, the plot is intriguing, the choreography is superb (with Yuen Biao, Yuen Kwai and Yuen Shun Yi all choreographing and stunt doubling), the pacing is brilliant. In fact this is the best old skool movie that was never produced by shaw bros or golden harvest.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has got one. But mine really matter (everyone else's is bollocks) :tongue:

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

Too lazy to search and start a new thread which deserving-ly deserves it's but Sammo Hung's The Victim, MY GOD!!! Just got around to watching it on a shitty VHS tape, fucking that third act of the film/ non stop fighting, just nonstop.. Sammo gets his ass kicked a little too much in this film by Beardy but tons of fights in this one, just tons.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Too lazy to search and start a new thread which deserving-ly deserves it's but Sammo Hung's The Victim, MY GOD!!! Just got around to watching it on a shitty VHS tape, fucking that third act of the film/ non stop fighting, just nonstop.. Sammo gets his ass kicked a little too much in this film by Beardy but tons of fights in this one, just tons.

This is your first time seeing it bro? :smile: Yes indeed, it is one of the best kung fu films ever IMHO. :nerd:

• Like 1

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

the-victim-sammo-hung-kung-fu-leung-kar-yan.jpg

I saw this on the big screen in Boston in the early 80's.

sammo-and-beardy.jpg

An amazing classic kung fu movie.

Don't forget Beardy

And Chang Yi wow what a performance. Once again he can play 'Bad To The Bone'.

http://www.brns.com/picts13/victim4.jpg

victim4.jpg

For your reading and picture pleasure:

http://www.brns.com/pages4/7fort55.html

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

Kung Fu Cook 1982 FLK Widescreen VHS Rip

Starring: Chiang Tao, Bolo, Bruce Tong Yim-Chaan & Nick Cheung Lik.

Typical 80's 'Action Comedy Fu', that was kicking around after the success of Jackie Chan's Snake & Drunken, and with a few 'Shapes' thrown in, especially Chiang Tao's death move!

Surprise 'wanna be' Jackie Chan is well known Shaw Brothers regular Bruce Tong Yim-Chaan, not best known for comedy! He's ok and the movie itself is ok! Too much comedy for my liking, I really hate it when the same characters keep fighting one another throughout the movie…..Just Kill Him!

Bolo fights well and the action is fast, but not brutal, but just enough to keep me interested. The story, basically, is about a treasure map and double crosses.

3/5

Bless:cool:

• Like 1

I watched Furious Slaughter over the weekend. Still a very interesting take on the Ma Yung Chun legend. Jimmy Wang Yu's bravado fits perfectly here as a brash, bold, hero of the weak. Each time he comes across a baddie, he just wants to pummel them.

My favorite scene?...

When the bad guys from the gambling house bring him to the boss, for a "talk", Ma's greating to the boss: "Hey Pops!"

:xd:

zuHCMVS-GaU

• Like 1

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

Fighting Life (US DVD): Not as good as Part one, because more modern setting and sometimes more drama than martial arts movie. but still it's amazing to see how the crippled actors manage their practise- and fightscenes! fans from the crippled masters will have a nice one with this film. looking forward to part three.

• Like 1

Watched 4 hands of death today. It is bad, sometimes to the point that its funny, but most of the time annoying. Particularly the 6 ft tall fat guy who acts like an idiot and his dub is constantly bumbling and groaning. With all of that said, the fighting was actually excellent, and made me watch til the end. The slapstick comedy during the fights was where the comedy didn't fall flat. Story was a throwaway. There was some hilarious animal sounds and...styles during the end fight.

• Like 1

Kung Fu vs Yoga and Return of the One Armed Swordsman.

To my surprise, I enjoyed Kung Fu vs Yoga much more than I did Return of One Armed Swordsman.

Kung Fu vs Yoga was typcial independant kung fu cheese fest, with a bad dub that was at times funny, a transexual, a "monk" that was psychotic, some crazy weird yoga style that was awesome, and some exceptional fighting throughout.

I had heard good things about Return of One Armed, generally that it was better than the first... I disagree, I like the first film more, I thought it was definitely more emotional, and the fighta were actually fights...in the second movie a "fight" was generally Wang Yu swinging his sword twice and killing his opponent(s).

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Shaolin Deadly Kicks (HK, 1977)

picture.php?albumid=244&pictureid=7228

For once, they had the summary right on the backcover (must be the second time after Fist Of Fury III, and it's the 7th film from this collection I've seen) - however, the pictures on the back are totally unrelated: there's even a picture of a Black guy fighting a Gwailo dressed in a white Ninja outfit. :tongue:

Originally mistook this one for The Champion, a 1973 movie that also has the alternative title Karate King (according to hkcinemagic). However, the hkcinemagic on SDK leaves no doubt about the movie I've seen. It was also released by Bach Films as Shaolin contre les 8 Serpents, but I don't have that release (yet).

8 guys steal a treasure map that gets cut into 8 pieces and each guy keeps one piece. They are to reunite to get the treasure, but someone hears of it and interferes, killing the gang members one by one and gathering the pieces.

Very basic basher as one can tell, but the action is enjoyable. Despite some plotholes (parts of the movie seem to be missing and it's not always clear who actually has the pieces) and some characters lacking development, one can follow the story rather easily.

• Like 1

Yeah I watched Fist of Fury last night, couldn't help but feel thereare quite a few bashers id rather watch. With that said, it is still a fun flick, and Bruce just being Bruce is always good.

• Like 1

I FINALLY got around to seeing Magnificent Butcher. It did not let me down, great film. I probably rank it below Knockabout but above Prodigal Son.

• Like 1

I FINALLY got around to seeing Magnificent Butcher. It did not let me down, great film. I probably rank it below Knockabout but above Prodigal Son.

MB is one of my absolute favorites in classic MA cinema. Glad you finally got to see it! I rank it right next to Knockabout.

• Like 1

Yeah I watched Fist of Fury last night, couldn't help but feel thereare quite a few bashers id rather watch...

:neutral:

Fist of Fury is my favorite. There are other bashers from the era that are equally if not more entertaining...

• Like 1

:neutral:

Fist of Fury is my favorite. There are other bashers from the era that are equally if not more entertaining...

Why do you consider it your favorite than?

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

You know what would be great? If someone took Fist of Fury and cut out almost all the Lo Wei scenes. The movie would be much tighter and drag a lot less. Wei obviously saw that Lee was a big deal and decided to insert himself into as much of the film as possible, which probably further aggravated Bruce. Sure, the movie would be 15 minutes shorter, but who care if Lo Wei's fat ass is in it? The guy was great early on at Shaw's and some of his GH work, but he had drifted off to hackdom way earlier. There are better bashers, in terms of movie making, than this. I would say that HapKiDo/Lady Kung Fu is a tighter movie, and as far as flicks around the same time, Delightful Forest is a way better story. Most of what is good in Fist of Fury is the fights and a few of the acting scenes. As I understand it, Lee was not considered a great actor even by Hong Kong standard he was a little to hammy and melodramatic. But he got people pumped, and for a time, almost up until 1980, it was cool to be Asian. After that, not so much.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

PS, Someone said that Delightful forest is a basher. Actually, it is, really, a shapes movie. There is an actual Kung Fu form called Wu Sung breaks manacles, which is mostly elbows and kicks, these are the jazzed up Wu Shu versions and traditional, but it is legit as a Tiger Crane form-

• Like 1