What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

The hot, the cool and the vicious AND Challenge of death

It was the second or the third viewing for The hot, the cool and the vicious, and my first time watching for Challenge of death.

These movies are GREAT !! I wonder how come they didn't come in France at that time !

I loved each second of each of them !

I didn't search, but are there any other movie in which Tan Tao Liang paired with Wong Tao ? They made a very good pair, and I laughed a lot when they were disguised in Challenge of death, this sequence was worth to be seen !!

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I didn't search, but are there any other movie in which Tan Tao Liang paired with Wong Tao ?

I don't think so, but I wish there was. Instead of Tan always pairing up with the utter bore that is Meng Fei..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane

6 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Meng Fei was a poor man's Chiang Sheng.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean, here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Meng resembles him somewhat but Chiang was better as an actor and overall performer.

I always found him to be a low-grade Fu Sheng, even though he was a leading man before AFS.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

Kinda looking forward to revisiting Prodigal Boxer on Blu as that is the only film with him that I remember not putting me to sleep within the first ten minutes.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Kinda looking forward to revisiting Prodigal Boxer on Blu as that is the only film with him that I remember not putting me to sleep within the first ten minutes.

And Five Shaolin Masters?

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
Just now, DrNgor said:

And Five Shaolin Masters?

Totally forgot he was in that one. Clearly didn't make an impression any of the times I watched it.

• Like 2

Just now, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Clearly didn't make an impression any of the times I watched it.

He kills Beardy with a blood-spurting groin kick and it didn't leave an impression on you?  You're a hard man to please. ;)

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
29 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

He kills Beardy with a blood-spurting groin kick and it didn't leave an impression on you?  You're a hard man to please. ;)

The shaolin cycle films are a bit like the Chor Yuen wuxias... with time they all start to blur together for me in my memory.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

I liked Meng Fei in Prodigal Boxer. Was rather nonplussed by his debut in The King of Boxers where he's apparently a senior martial arts master, but looks about 12.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Was rather nonplussed by his debut in The King of Boxers where he's apparently a senior martial arts master, but looks about 12.

That movie could not decide if it wanted to rip off Vengeance!Fist of Fury, or Duel of Fists.

• Like 4

Chinese (Taiwan, 1972) - aka Dragon's Vengeance; Dragon's Executioner -  Rather downbeat (moreso than normal) Fist of Fury rip-off about a guy (Mantis Combat's Wei Tzu-Yun) whose wife is raped and murdered by the Japanese. They also drive his father to suicide trying to force him to reveal the whereabouts of a hidden fortune. Some time later, the guy teams up with the son (David Tang) and daughter (Doris Lung Chun-Ehr, who has never looked cuter) of the nobleman on whose land the fortune is hidden to fight the Japanese and the Chinese traitor (Yee Yuan) who is behind all of this. Besides the bleak ending, the film is notable for a scene where the Japanese hang three children, after which the woman bangs her head against a post until she dies.

The fights are choreographed by Lin Feng-Sheng and Ching Kau-Lung, both of whom worked on the cult favorite Queen Boxer. The choreography is actually pretty good by 1972 standards. Doris Lung looks better in her fights than she did in Brave Girl Boxer in Shanghai: her hits are stronger and kicks are higher. Wei Tzu-Yun flounders back and forth between looking good by basher standards and being outright sloppy. There are your requisite Japanese judo and kendo villains in this one and those guys aren't bad: the judo guys are stiff, but convey more power in their hits than the leads do. In the end, Chinese is worth a view for fans of early 70s basher cinema.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 4

On 7/28/2021 at 3:27 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Another actor who you can't stand, then ?

I just watched Green Jade Statuette, and...WOW ! What a movie !!

First, a bunch of our favorite actors : Shan Mao, Lung Fei, Lung Fong, Beardy, Sit Hon (who doesn't have a single fight !), Chen Hui Lou (same comment), Gam Ming, Chi Kuan Chun, Meng Fei, Wnag Kuan Hsiung, Kitty Meng Chui, Hu Chin, Ko Fei...and surely other ones who escaped to m vigilance, since I was doing something else when watching the movie...

It's a non stop action movie, and the fights are GREAAAT !!

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
22 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Another actor who you can't stand, then ?

I don't hate him, I just find him boring and bland to watch.

• Like 2

Death Dimension

I've reviewed this before but each viewing of this bonkers Jim Kelly starrer brings new delights. Jim's a cop on the trail of Harold Sakata, who's super villain "The Pig" who's kidnapped the daughter of a scientist who's invented a freeze bomb that will bring world domination. Every frame of the film seems sleazy,dirty and cheap, which adds to it's charm. We have epic battles like Kelly vs Odd Job, James Bond (aka George Lazenby) vs Myron Bruce Lee, Aldo Ray, Terry Moore, real prostitutes. It's pure Al Adamson madness. The print on the blu ray is rough but miles better than any DVD you will have seen.

Black Samurai

More Jim Kelly/Al Adamson craziness, presented uncut on this blu ray. Secret Agent Kelly is on the trail of a drug baron, who wears a cape and has a dungeon with killer snakes who he feeds people to. Jim flies a jet pack, battles midgets, fights a Hawk, pretends he's Muhammad Ali, comes out with some (dubbed) very unpc language and wears groovy tracksuits throughout. Epically great.

• Like 5

Super Ninja
15 hours ago, saltysam said:

Death Dimension

I've reviewed this before but each viewing of this bonkers Jim Kelly starrer brings new delights. Jim's a cop on the trail of Harold Sakata, who's super villain "The Pig" who's kidnapped the daughter of a scientist who's invented a freeze bomb that will bring world domination. Every frame of the film seems sleazy,dirty and cheap, which adds to it's charm. We have epic battles like Kelly vs Odd Job, James Bond (aka George Lazenby) vs Myron Bruce Lee, Aldo Ray, Terry Moore, real prostitutes. It's pure Al Adamson madness. The print on the blu ray is rough but miles better than any DVD you will have seen.

Black Samurai

More Jim Kelly/Al Adamson craziness, presented uncut on this blu ray. Secret Agent Kelly is on the trail of a drug baron, who wears a cape and has a dungeon with killer snakes who he feeds people to. Jim flies a jet pack, battles midgets, fights a Hawk, pretends he's Muhammad Ali, comes out with some (dubbed) very unpc language and wears groovy tracksuits throughout. Epically great.

Big fan of Black Samurai, defo my favorite Jim Kelly movie. The Blu-ray you're mentioning would be Severin's Al Adamson collection I guess? 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, saltysam said:

Death Dimension

Black Samurai

How long is the running time of your Black Samurai, please ?Is your Blu ray region free ?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Big fan of Black Samurai, defo my favorite Jim Kelly movie. The Blu-ray you're mentioning would be Severin's Al Adamson collection I guess? 

yes, it's the Al Adamson disc

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

How long is the running time of your Black Samurai, please ?Is your Blu ray region free ?

Region-Free, runs 1:24:07

• Like 4

I watched the Blu-Ray of Kill and Kill Again and I watched it with the James Ryan interview, which takes up half of the commentary of the film. Learned a lot about him and even saw a bit of the interview with screenwriter John Crowther, who confessed he had no idea how to pitch the film when he met with FVI's Edward Montoro and Igo Kantor. He winged it and mentioned only "The Magnificent Seven" and they hired him to write the script right away. He said it was the shortest pitch he ever got in his life. 

• Like 4

Jade dagger ninja

How to say it...I found it just so-so. Maybe because I was doing something else while watching it, maybe because it was English subbed and I didn't like the dubbing...

It's another Lu XIao Feng's story, this latter being impersonated by Tien Peng. Since it's one of my favorite actors, and Tsung Hua also played in it, I should have enjoyed it much more, but well...Just so-so !

• Like 3

The silver spear : it was a little bit better than Jade Dagger Ninja, but just so-so too, for me...

Young hero of shaolin 1 + 2 : These were two excellent movies that I enjoyed a lot today !

And, for @Iron_Leopard, these are two great Mainland movies, with a lot of excellent fights, great locations, great plot about Fan  Shi Yü, Hu Hui Qin, and Miao Cui Hua. I recommend this movie at 100% !

• Like 3