What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Chu Liu Hsiang

TIGER OVER WALL - the annoying dramatic scenes dragged horribly, and the dubbing did not help there, but the action was worth it! I especially enjoyed Phillip Ko vs Chiang Tao in the umbrella shop and of course the endfight Phillip Ko vs Hwang Jang Lee. I don't think I've seen HJL using a Guan Dao before.

Contrary to oh so many movies, they tied up the loose plot end before freezing the screen by mentioning that Candy Wen's mother told them to leave  town but decided to stay behind, so one does not have to wonder what became of her. We never found out what really happened to the missing doggie but it's probably better that way. I will just assume he left his dreadful people to live on a farm. 

• Like 3

DragonClaws
13 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

TIGER OVER WALL - the annoying dramatic scenes dragged horribly, and the dubbing did not help there, but the action was worth it! I especially enjoyed Phillip Ko vs Chiang Tao in the umbrella shop and of course the endfight Phillip Ko vs Hwang Jang Lee. I don't think I've seen HJL using a Guan Dao before.

Always had a soft spot this one even if its not too action heavy. Thankfully the fight s we do get, are all top quality from what I recall?.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2021 at 8:18 AM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

and of course the endfight Phillip Ko vs Hwang Jang Lee. I don't think I've seen HJL using a Guan Dao before.

He uses a horse-cutting blade (like a guan dao, but with a medium-sized handle) in Heroes of the Wild (1977).

• Like 4

The Sword (1980)

Adam Cheng plays a swordsman looking for a duel with the old master Tien Feng. Along the way he comes across the devious Norman Chu & Eddie Ko. Good movie, small cast a little downbeat and melodramatic at times. The new HK blu ray is a real disappointment, a clear as day upscale and only 5.1 audio. After the stellar release of The Skyhawk this is a big step back. Unbelievable these upscales are being churned out in 2021,and they aren't cheap either.

• Like 4

ShawAngela
On 7/2/2021 at 10:18 PM, saltysam said:

The Sword (1980)

Adam Cheng plays a swordsman looking for a duel with the old master Tien Feng. Along the way he comes across the devious Norman Chu & Eddie Ko. Good movie, small cast a little downbeat and melodramatic at times. The new HK blu ray is a real disappointment, a clear as day upscale and only 5.1 audio. After the stellar release of The Skyhawk this is a big step back. Unbelievable these upscales are being churned out in 2021,and they aren't cheap either.

Could you explain me what exactly is an upscale, please ?

• Like 3

ShawAngela

Today, I watched :

Black belt : Larry Lee and Billly Chong...Do I have to say that I loved it as much as for the first viewing ?!

Shaolin raiders of death : I loved it ! I read bad reviews on hkmdb, but I loved every moment and I didn't find that Ricky Cheng Tien Chi was a so bad actor as it's said ! And I loved Chia Kai. I wasn't familiar with this actor, but wow, what a good onscreen fighter !

Duel with the devil : Chang Ching Ching and Kong Ban, my idol couple ! What more to ask for ? I felt that Chang Ching Ching wasn't as a strong character as in her other movies, in which she doesn't show too much her feelings, if I remember well (except in Sorrowful to a ghost, still if I'm not mistaken)

Lady whirwind and the rangers : Shan Kuan Ling Fung, Yasuaki Kurata, Kam Kong...Ahhhhh (delighted sigh...:bs_laughing:)

Many thanks to our friend @teako170, who provided me with these excellent movies. I still have to watch two movies from the batch he sold me...

• Like 4

On 7/4/2021 at 10:11 PM, ShawAngela said:

Could you explain me what exactly is an upscale, please ?

It's an SD source upscaled to 1080p , fake HD if you like.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, saltysam said:

It's an SD source upscaled to 1080p , fake HD if you like.

So it still looks bad but kinda good? I have no idea what to think lol 😂 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WangYu said:

So it still looks bad but kinda good? I have no idea what to think lol 😂 

It looks like a DVD

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 7/4/2021 at 3:52 PM, ShawAngela said:

I forgot to mention that I also watched the HKL release of Game of death 2.

I re-watched this one over the weekend too, lost count of how many times I've sat through it.

• Like 3

I have watched the upscale Japanese blu ray of Game Of Death 2 countless times. One of my favourite films.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

I hope 88 or Eureka can find a way to unleashing a genuine HD transfer of GODII on the world. Future generations will thank them.

• Like 5

On 7/4/2021 at 4:20 PM, ShawAngela said:

Many thanks to our friend @teako170, who provided me with these excellent movies. I still have to watch two movies from the batch he sold me...

Glad they finally arrived. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

The Awaken Punch (1973) - While reminiscent of Bruce Lee's The Big Boss, this basher holds its own and is actually a pretty enjoyable watch. The plot is fairly simple: bad guy's want good guy's farm land. Bad guys end up killing someone close to good guy. REVENGE!
Considering this is a 1973 film, the choreography is fast and ferocious. Henry Yu Yang - who I don't know that well at all - plays a very decent leading man and really shows off Yuen Woo Ping's action direction well.

• Like 6

On 7/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, Killer Meteor said:

I hope 88 or Eureka can find a way to unleashing a genuine HD transfer of GODII on the world. Future generations will thank them.

Yes!!! As I was watching the recent Roy Horan interview on the SITES disc I was thinking it'd be great to get him involved in a GOD2 release. I still regularly watch the HKL dvd but an upgrade would be sweet.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

ENCOUNTER OF THE SPOOKY KIND - I had not seen this yet and thus enjoyed my first encounter via the amazing Eureka blu. What a treat! Will rewatch soon. hkmdb lists Yuen Biao "only" as one of the MA directors but according to Eureka information, he also played the Vampire. Some scenes I could have done without but the whole genre is not for mollycoddles.

• Like 3

Yesterday, I watched Deadly China Doll, many thanks for your help @KUNG FU BOB  !!

I enjoyed it, but I would say it isn't really an Angela Mao's movie in the sense that she isn't the real lead. It looks rather like a Carter Huang/James Nam movie.

She has a great fight with Lung Fei, and a few other ones in the movie, but she doesn't hold the whole movie on her shoulders.

I liked it very much, and there are a bunch of famous actors here :

Angela, Carter Huang, Lung Fei, LI Hong, Yi Yuan and a lot of familiar faces from Shaws and Golden Harvest movies.

As the movie was English dubbed, of course, there are some words that escaped to me. At the end of the movie Yi Yuan asks here father who he really is, and I didn't clearly heard the answer. Does anyone have a clue, please ?

• Like 2

Deadly China Doll desperately needs a decent print to surface. It's quite bizarre one hasn't,as it was a big cinema release back in the day.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Deadly China Doll desperately needs a decent print to surface. It's quite bizarre one hasn't,as it was a big cinema release back in the day.

It would be great if Arrow or EUreka or 88 or Spectrum decided to release a boxset with ALL Angela Mao's movies !

And I think that there are some cuts in several scenes in this movie...

• Like 2

Hot,The Cool,The Vicious

All time classic never grows old, Tan Tao Liang,Wong Tao face off against one of the most awesome villains in kung fu history in Tommy Lee. Awesome soundtrack and one of the best credit sequences ever. KFR's blu ray is the best this movie has ever looked on home video, when you take into account the limitations of the source. Highly recommended.

Challenge Of Death

The main players of HCV reunite under Lee Tsao Nam to lesster effect, though the movie is still very good. Chang Yi joins the fun as the big bad and he sports the coolesst cape since Lung Fei in Bruce Lee Vs Superman

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
21 hours ago, saltysam said:

I wonder if Warners, current owners of the MGM back catalogue pre-1980s, has anything?

• Like 3

The Shaolin Invincibles 

I thought this was gonna be way worse, but I have to admit that I enjoyed it quite slot. The little twist at the end and Tan Tiao Lang popping up from nowhere to do his thing. Fun stuff!

Master Killers

It's the third or fourth time I'm watching this now. I find the comedy in it pretty tiresome, but it's all forgiven once the actions kicks in. 

• Like 2

Chinese Hercules

Chan Wai Man accidentally kills a bully in the films opening sequence, legs it and vows never to fight again, ending up lifting bags of rice at a ferry terminal run by a group of evil thugs, which worsens when bad bastard Fang Yeh and his right hand man Bolo arrive. This is one of those bashers that while not particularly loved,i find myself watching often, despite my annoyance with Chan Wai Man's punchbag character. Uncle Wang from WOTD appears in a heroic role as the workers foreman, as does Chin Ti in a similar role from Way-avoid fighting when you can. Very grim, no humour in this one and the vilains are real bastards.The english dubbed blu ray is rough but clear, great stuff.

• Like 5