What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Omni Dragon

Spent my Easter Sunday watching the Japanese extended export cut of The Young Master on the 88 Films BD. Previously I'd only ever seen the HK theatrical cut (in full).

• Like 5

The Big Boss

My annual rewatch of the BL movies starts with this raw classic, i never tire of watching. So clever of Lo Wei to wait nearly 50 minutes before unleashing Lee into the action. As it's the 50th Anniversary this year how great would it be to see the original version...i want to see what happens between Lee throwing his belongings in the river and arriving at the Bosse's gate eating his bag of chips...

• Like 4

Omni Dragon
On 4/5/2021 at 2:00 AM, Omni Dragon said:

Spent my Easter Sunday watching the Japanese extended export cut of The Young Master on the 88 Films BD. Previously I'd only ever seen the HK theatrical cut (in full).

Just to be clear, as I realize my post could be misleading: The Japanese version is considered extended relative to the International export cut. I assume the HK theatrical cut is still considered the definitive version.

The running times for the known/surviving cuts/versions of The Young Master are:

Around 106 minutes for the Hong Kong Theatrical cut

Around 104 minutes for the Taiwanese Version

Around 99 minutes for the (Japanese) Extended Export Cut

Around 90 minutes for the (International)  Extended Export Cut

It's not as simple as the longest version has everything. There Is in depth comparisons on https://www.movie-censorship.com/list.php?s=the young master for those interested.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
On 10/3/2020 at 11:21 PM, sym8 said:

Kung fu from beyond the grave-1982

Directed by Lee Chu

Starring Billy Chong,Lo Lieh,Alan Hsu

Found this a lot more enjoyable than his other Kung fu /horror movie Kung Fu Zombie.Chong is on top form in the fight sequences(choreographed by Alan Hsu)and Lo Lieh is a worthy adversary,and unlike the afore mentioned Kung fu Zombie the undercranking isn’t over the top.Check it out 👍👍

On 10/10/2020 at 11:57 PM, paimeifist said:

Watched another horror themed fu movie in Kung Fu from Beyond the Grave. 

Highly enjoyable fu with horror themes, the typical hopping vampire/wizard mix but what made this one unique is that there wasn’t any comedy mixed in. Maybe a short scene at most.

After seeing a couple other films starring Billy Chong, I had been disappointed because he is clearly super talented, but the movies were only decent at best. This one managed to be a decent movie where he is in top form, with kicks as smooth as butter. The always reliable Alan Chui looked good in the action as well, he has always struck me as B grade Kwok Choi in his style. Lo Lieh and Addy Chung while less talented than Chong and Chui made for good dancing partners as the main villains.

The horror elements were fun, not overdone and didn’t rely on terrible special effects like other early 80s HK films did. I also enjoyed that they didn’t really try to make it comedic, as Spiritual Boxer series and Spooky Encounters has already done that, and done it well.

Good fu flick for around Halloween time!

On 1/21/2021 at 7:25 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Still reeling from this morning’s watch I decided to watch a film I hadn’t seen but one that comes from a reliable source: Billy Chong. I settled on 1982’s Kung Fu from Beyond the Grave.

Ladies and gents, I loved this movie. I’m not sure what the general consensus is on this one but, for me, it’s beautifully batshit crazy and features genuinely interesting and crisply choreographed fight scenes.

The plot is easy. Chow’s dad returns from the grave one night to tell his son that he must seek revenge on the man that killed him. The man in question is Lo Lieh, who’s currently collecting human hearts in order to become invincible. Billy Chow decides to use magic against Lo Kiev’s own magic (and his cronies’) and...well...all he’ll break loose.

I think I just live supernatural kung fu movies. I wish there was a way to watch more but it seems a bunch of them have either out of print DVD releases or just haven’t been released at all. This film is nuts on all the right ways. It’s manic and there’s no time to breathe and I just wouldn’t have it any other way.

Just when you think it’s reached it’s height of weirdness, Dracula turns up.

While it does lean more toward the spooky stuff, fight fans should get a kick out of it too. There’s a scuffle seemingly every few minutes in this one.

I recently got through giving this one a first time watch myself, and I seem to be in the minority that prefers 'Kung Fu Zombie', but only by a smidgen! I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/kung-fu-from-beyond-the-grave-1982-review/

• Like 5

On 3/27/2021 at 8:55 AM, DragonClaws said:

Thats one early morning Kung Fu movie fix, is this the one with Wong Tao, Chang Yi & Chi Kuan Chun?.

Agreed, one of my best friends at school had an older brother who raved about this film. He recorded it off T.V on a VHS tape, and made us watch it. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen before and remains a strong favourite of mine.

I’ve watched Eagles claw so many times... such a good classic Kung fu movie. Never get tired of watching it. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Dragon’s Claws (1979) - I’m a big Joseph Kung fan. He usually doesn’t mess around when delivering straight up kung fu. While this one does feature some insane action, it does slip into the realm of corny comedy and sadly, it’s just not all that great. There’s not one but TWO piss-based jokes. Both of which feature urine on the mouth.

The plot is ridiculously simple. Hwang Jang Lee wants to get his hands on the dragon claw tablet and will do anything to get it. Lau Kar Yung has to stop him. That’s literally all you need to know.

The action is as good as you’d expect from a Joseph Kuo film and the finale in particular is crisp, showing off Hwang Jang Lee’s boot work nicely. However, this wasn’t a great watch for me. It’s alright. A mediocre movie in my eyes.

Oh and the dub is insane.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Jonny said:

I’ve watched Eagles claw so many times... such a good classic Kung fu movie. Never get tired of watching it. 

I agree! It's a tie between Eagle's Claw and The Hot The Cool and The Vicious for me, I like them both equally much.

I can't wait to see Fatal Needles vs Fatal Fists!

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 4/9/2021 at 2:59 AM, Jonny said:

It's the same for me, I've watched it countless times over the years.

On 4/10/2021 at 12:39 AM, Django said:

I can't wait to see Fatal Needles vs Fatal Fists!

Well worth watching, especially if you enjoy The Hot The Cool & The Vicious and Eagles Claw.

• Like 1

Duel to the Death

Drunken Dragon aka Exciting Dragon (1985)

Is this related to the Drunkard movies? It's in the same style. 

I had a hard time getting into this one. While i love the Drunkard movies i was bored to death with this one. I don't know if i was wrong mood but i just couldn't get into it. 

It does star Chiang Sheng (Venom Member) in drag as Granny. 

• Like 2

Challenge Of The Lady Ninja

Jaw droppingly bad but somehow watchable taiwanese ninja flick, unbelievably directed by Lee Tso Nam, a long way from the likes of classic like Hot,The Cool,The Vicious. Chen Kuan Tai slums it as the bad guy,again a long way from his shaw brothers heyday. The print i saw was in HD,widescreen and subbed.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2021 at 9:54 AM, DragonClaws said:

It's the same for me, I've watched it countless times over the years.

Well worth watching, especially if you enjoy The Hot The Cool & The Vicious and Eagles Claw.

Fatal needles is another excellent one! Do you know if either fatal needles, eagles claw or the hot the cool & the vicious are available anywhere in Cantonese/ mandarin , with English subs? Prefer watching movies that way rather than dubbed. I’ve found movies that I’ve previously watched with bad dubbing in Cantonese/mandarin & it makes a huge difference for me. Can’t watch Shaw or Golden Harvest movies dubbed.. knowing they come in their original language with subs. As of now.. I’ve never found these three movies in anything other than dubbed.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, Jonny said:

Fatal needles is another excellent one! Do you know if either fatal needles, eagles claw or the hot the cool & the vicious are available anywhere in Cantonese/ mandarin , with English subs?

The versions I own are English dubbed, there might be some Fan Customs or Official release that are subtitled?. I'm just not aware of them, there a lot of fans on here who are more in sync with releases/versions than I am. @saltysam being one such member.

• Like 1

Just watched Snuff Bottle Connection again.

Great bootmasters John Liu and Hwang Jang Lee, would love a blu ray of this and Invincible Armour, two of John Liu's best films in my opinion.

eine_prise_fr_tdliche_pfeifen_03._bild.jpg

Edited by drees5761
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Jonny said:

Fatal needles is another excellent one! Do you know if either fatal needles, eagles claw or the hot the cool & the vicious are available anywhere in Cantonese/ mandarin , with English subs? Prefer watching movies that way rather than dubbed. I’ve found movies that I’ve previously watched with bad dubbing in Cantonese/mandarin & it makes a huge difference for me. Can’t watch Shaw or Golden Harvest movies dubbed.. knowing they come in their original language with subs. As of now.. I’ve never found these three movies in anything other than dubbed.

KungFuRobber has an excellent version of Hot, The Cool The Vicious with chinese audio and subs, unfortunately on standalone players there was a timing issue with the subs, not sure if KFR ever sorted the problem out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

KungFuRobber has an excellent version of Hot, The Cool The Vicious with chinese audio and subs, unfortunately on standalone players there was a timing issue with the subs, not sure if KFR ever sorted the problem out.

What ?! Was it ever for sale in her store? I don' t remember to have seen it, but I would love to watch  her version  !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

What ?! Was it ever for sale in her store? I don' t remember to have seen it, but I would love to watch  her version  !

I got it from here

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

2 hours ago, saltysam said:

I got it from here

I remember that I had seen this post, but, as I'm more interested in physical copies and I hadn't discovered how a true gem The hot, The Cool, The vicious was as yet, I hadn't paid enough attention to @TheKungFuRobber's post !

I regret it, now !!

• Like 2

I finally got the German dvd of Duel of the seven tigers and I just finished to watch it.

What  GREAT, SUPERB, EXCELLENT, MARVELOUS...(I don't have enough words) non stop action movies, with a bunch of great martial artists and actors.

Ko Fei as the villain always arranging his hair when fighting is excellent !

If I were to fight someone who already knows all the techniques I use, I wouldn't shout the technique I'm going to use with the risk that he finds the counter attack at once ! It seems that it's a recurrent habit in martial arts movie to announce the technique used !...

Except this little stupid thing, it's a must have in all collectors' collection !

• Like 3

I finally got the German dvd of Duel of the seven tigers and I just finished to watch it.

What  GREAT, SUPERB, EXCELLENT, MARVELOUS...(I don't have enough words) non stop action movies, with a bunch of great martial artists and actors.

If I were to fight someone who already knows all the techniques I use, I wouldn't shout the technique I'm going to use with the risk that he finds the counter attack at once ! It seems that it's a recurrent habit in martial arts movie to announce the technique used !...

Except this little stupid thing, it's a must have in all collectors' collection !

There's a picture on the cover art of the dvd that I never saw in the movie, and I wonder if it might be a mistake.

Picture Duel of the 7 tigers.jpg

• Like 3

There's a picture on the cover art of the dvd that I never saw in the movie, and I wonder if it might be a mistake.

• Like 2

Super Ninja
9 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Picture Duel of the 7 tigers.jpg

Yeah, because it's from Secret Rivals 2.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Duel to the Death

Hong Kong Godfather 1985

I have mixed opinions. The ending was so awesome and brutal. I loved it. But the rest of the movie was slow and sluggish. I love Norman Chu and Beardy. But they don't do much until that scene. What this movie needed was more fighting in the middle of the movie. Norman getting chased is not really fighting. 

Shih Kien is great as always and does feel like a Godfather type character. Besides him the movie didn't make me care for the other characters. It tries to get you to care for the relationship between Beardy and his daughter but there was nothing there at all. Beardy dying in Knockabout had more emotion. 

A lackluster movie with a totally epic ending. 

• Like 2

Duel to the Death

Snuff Bottle Connection 1977

Fun movie, i liked it. Fighting was real good. That move where John Liu caught the sword with his foot and hit him back was wild. That was genius.

I see John Liu isn't in a lot of movies. I guess he didn't have the leading man type of looks. But boy can he fight. I have seen 2 of his movies so far, this one and Invincible Armour. Maybe i need to see the Secret Rival movies next. I see both John Liu and Jang Lee Hwang are in those as well. 

Is there a halfway decent version of this on Dvd? The version on youtube is Widescreen, halfway decent picture, in Mandarin with Subtitles. I have this weird feeling that is probably better than the version on Dvd. But i have been wrong before. 

• Like 3

J.J. Hayden
32 minutes ago, Duel to the Death said:

I have seen 2 of his movies so far, this one and Invincible Armour.

I'd highly recommend Fighting Ace (aka Master Of Death) it features John Liu at his very best imo and also a great chance for Korean super-kicker Kwon Yung-Mun to play a protagonist and as usual he dazzles with his kicking abilities.

• Like 4

Duel to the Death
6 minutes ago, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I'd highly recommend Fighting Ace (aka Master Of Death) it features John Liu at his very best imo and also a great chance for Korean super-kicker Kwon Yung-Mun to play a protagonist and as usual he dazzles with his kicking abilities.

Thanks, i added it to the watch list. 

• Like 3