What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Bamboo Gods is a title i'm familar with in name only,i've never seen it. Going to rectify that this week. I thought Inglehart was decent in Death Force,i wonder why he never made another movie.

• Like 5

Showdown at The Cotton Mill (1978)

1978 was possibly the best single year for Shaw Brother's regarding film releases.  This re-discovered gem probably gave Shaw Studios a good run for the money.  It currently is in desperate need of a re-master.  Chi Kuan Chun really shines in this film which also features Mr. Flash Legs -Tan Tao Liang.   Shan Mao gets killed off early on in a scrap with Chi Kuan Chun.  The twanging sound at just about every screen entrance of Tan Tao Liang can get pretty tiring to hear, but in no way detracts from the story and great choreography.

showdown.jpg

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 9

End Of The Wicked Tigers

A 70'S basher full of familar faces , in widescreen is right up my street. The new Police captain arrives in town to find it's being terrorised by The Big Boss himself Han Ying Chieh, who's son Wilson Tong and his sidekicks including Sammo rape and pillage for kicks. Charles Heung witnesses a murder but is pressured by his brother Eddie Ko into keeping quiet. Charles eventually hooks up with the righteous policce captain to kick ass on the rogues. Good fun, liberal use of ETD  music, very short at around 75 minutes ( am aware a unnecessary rape scene is missing ) recommend NoKUNGFUforYU's custom.

• Like 6

The Flash Legs

A gang of 8 thieves steal a treasure map, cut it into 8 pieces and agree to meet three years later to put the map back together and find the loot. Law enforcement officer Tan Tao Liang is on their trail however and he goes after the bandits one by one. Fairly standard fare, decent cast is underused.Kam Kong , Lung Fei and Lo Lieh are among the gang of thieves. Lung Fei is like Samson with his hair cut when he appears clean shaven , nowhere near as menacing as when he has facial hair :evilgrin

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Iron Head Rat
On 3/17/2021 at 2:10 PM, saltysam said:

Bamboo Gods is a title i'm familar with in name only,i've never seen it. Going to rectify that this week. I thought Inglehart was decent in Death Force,i wonder why he never made another movie.

Agreed.. I quite liked Death Force

• Like 3

The Double Crossers

Detective Lung finds out his father was murdered by his business partner,he teams up with his father's friend Chen Sing to get revenge, which involves heading to Bali and a business swindle. This was a little disappointing, not a great deal of fisticuffs until the last part, the lead is played by the guy i recognise as The Godfather character from Dragon Lives Again, he was rather bland. Chen Sing does what he can, Chan Wai Man looks menacing and Sammo comes to the party late as a thug with a tach. The new Asia Line DVD is english-friendly, retitled Kung Fu Killers, has english dub and mandarin with english subs. The widescreen print is heavily worn.

Bamboo Gods & Iron Men

Boxer James Ingleheart and his new bride are honeymooning in HK when he saves a mute chinese man from drowning,He also ends up buying a buddha from a shop which unknown to him contains something a big shot gangster wants. This isn't great at all and rather silly, the martial arts action is pitiful. Disappointing, while Ingleheart had presence the later Death Force is better.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

Roving Heroes aka Buddha’s Palm and Dragon Fist (1980) - I don’t know why this one isn’t brought up when people discuss the likes of The Mystery of Chess Boxing and other late 70’s shapes classics. This film is an absolute fight fest with a scuffle breaking out what seems like every six minutes. The choreography is beautiful and both Li Yi Min and Chi Kuan Chun look fantastic.

As for the plot, it’s utterly forgettable. But there’s no need for twists and turns here. Everything is an excuse for a fight scene and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I really enjoyed this one.

• Like 5

The Big Boss - I ordered the Bruce Lee Criterion Collection set this past weekend and I watched it with my son while working from home on Monday. He's never seen it but we watched it on 4K and it looked amazing! My son has only seen Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon, so I plan to show him the rest of the set first chance I get. Loved that this was the uncut ending intact with the alternate "clean" ending and three alternate opening credits, 

• Like 7

DragonClaws

Please click on the link below, for my thoughts on my latest Old-School Kung Fu movie related viewing.

https://i.mydramalist.com/qg7pP_4f.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

I woke up 04:00 in the morning today, which is 2 hours before I need to go to work so I made a huge pot of coffee and enjoyed EAGLE'S CLAW!

• Like 7

The Prodigal Son (1981)

I almost forgot how good this film is.  Once in a while I need to re-watch it just for an appreciation for the choreography.  A very talented cast -from the main characters to some of the supporting ones.  Lee Hoi San, Dick Wei, and James Tien Chun grace this film.  Yuen Biao's acrobatics are top notch. although I think his martial arts skills become much more refined in the late 80s.  It's a shame that Lam Ching Ying passed at such a young age; his talents are surely missed.

Below is the poster of the film as it was released in Thailand. 

prodigal son.jpg

• Like 8

DragonClaws
23 hours ago, Django said:

I woke up 04:00 in the morning today, which is 2 hours before I need to go to work so I made a huge pot of coffee and enjoyed EAGLE'S CLAW!

Thats one early morning Kung Fu movie fix, is this the one with Wong Tao, Chang Yi & Chi Kuan Chun?.

13 hours ago, morpheus said:

The Prodigal Son (1981)

I almost forgot how good this film is.  Once in a while I need to re-watch it just for an appreciation for the choreography. 

Agreed, one of my best friends at school had an older brother who raved about this film. He recorded it off T.V on a VHS tape, and made us watch it. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen before and remains a strong favourite of mine.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thats one early morning Kung Fu movie fix, is this the one with Wong Tao, Chang Yi & Chi Kuan Chun?

That's the one, by Tso Nam Lee!

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 3/27/2021 at 12:07 PM, Django said:

That's the one, by Tso Nam Lee!

Chang Yi is one of the best dressed Old School villians in that one, with the curled shoes and wizards hat.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Chang Yi is one of the best dressed Old School villians in that one, with the curled shoes and wizards hat.

Haha indeed! 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

The Fearless Duo (1979) - There aren't many better feelings than stumbling across a kung fu movie gem you haven't seen before. Since this one had Hwang Jang Lee in it, I thought I'd give it a go as the man can do no wrong in my eyes. I'm happy to say this was all I wanted in a martial arts movie.

The plot is simple. Hwang Jang Lee (who's called Ghost Leg in this one) has murdered a number of family members of an old kung fu master and his nieces. Lau Kar Yung plays the hero who learns kung fu from the master and reintroduces the family members to one another. Together, the plan to avenge their fallen family members and put an end to Ghost Leg.
There are other aspects to the plot. There is a weird "sex comedy" angle where Lau Kar Yung wants to show off his sexual prowess in the bedroom but his wife (one of the nieces) won't let him. There's also a bizarre scene where a ghost anally rapes Lau Kar Yung.
With that said, these moments are harmless and the first is actually rather funny in a very "Carry On..." movies kind of way.

Oh yeah, the bad guys get the old kung fu master addicted to opium too.

What you need to know is that various moments make way for some truly ballistic kung fu action. The fight scenes here are fantastic. The ladies were so skilled I had to look them up and found myself pretty ashamed at the fact I'd not recognized Yuen Qiu.
There are hand to hand fights, loads of weapons and they all lead to one of the most action packed finales I've ever seen. Both women get a chance to shine and Hwang Jang Lee gets to deliver some serious boot work.

I loved this movie. LOVED it. It's one of the best old school kung fu movies I've seen in ages.

• Like 6

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

The Fearless Duo (1979) - There aren't many better feelings than stumbling across a kung fu movie gem you haven't seen before. Since this one had Hwang Jang Lee in it, I thought I'd give it a go as the man can do no wrong in my eyes. I'm happy to say this was all I wanted in a martial arts movie.

One movie I'd love to see 88-Film pick up, paired up with another Hwang Jang-Lee movie from the same era. Love the scene near the start of the film, where the guys putting the local town sign back up. Then someone tells him the locals are so Kung Fu mad, that theres no point fixing it. Beucase they will only kikc it back down anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

The plot is simple. Hwang Jang Lee (who's called Ghost Leg in this one) has murdered a number of family members of an old kung fu master and his nieces. Lau Kar Yung plays the hero who learns kung fu from the master and reintroduces the family members to one another. Together, the plan to avenge their fallen family members and put an end to Ghost Leg.
There are other aspects to the plot. There is a weird "sex comedy" angle where Lau Kar Yung wants to show off his sexual prowess in the bedroom but his wife (one of the nieces) won't let him. There's also a bizarre scene where a ghost anally rapes Lau Kar Yung.
With that said, these moments are harmless and the first is actually rather funny in a very "Carry On..." movies kind of way.

Oh yeah, the bad guys get the old kung fu master addicted to opium too.

What you need to know is that various moments make way for some truly ballistic kung fu action. The fight scenes here are fantastic. The ladies were so skilled I had to look them up and found myself pretty ashamed at the fact I'd not recognized Yuen Qiu.
There are hand to hand fights, loads of weapons and they all lead to one of the most action packed finales I've ever seen. Both women get a chance to shine and Hwang Jang Lee gets to deliver some serious boot work.

I loved this movie. LOVED it. It's one of the best old school kung fu movies I've seen in ages.

Is there a a decent dvd of this out there?

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, nectarsis said:

I watched it online so I couldn't tell you. Sorry.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
On 3/31/2021 at 11:30 AM, nectarsis said:

I got a great fan custom DVD of this from a fellow member on the forum. Someone on here might still be offering the movie on DVD?.

• Like 3

Black Belt Karate

Clumsy country bumpkin Larry Lee arrives in Indonesia to seek his Uncle, who must've have heard he was on the way and scarpered off to a remote island. Larry is a karate fanatic but has no skills.He finds work washing dishes and delivering food (is this where Deliveroo started :smile) he is soon fired and becomes a rickshaw driver,where he comes across a karate school,is accepted and soon falls for the master's daughter, which riles the bully lead student. Billy Chong plays the girl's brother and Larry's friend.Later on in the movie the film switches to HK for a spell and we meet Bruce Leung as a fellow karate expert. The finale features the great Lo Lieh, who's short appearance he must have filmed in his lunch break from another production. The film has an annoyingly repetitive tune throughout but is actually not bad, amusingly Larry at one point sports the same red tracksuit he wore in Mandarin Magician. I'd like to see a remaster of this one with Larry Lee audio commentary.

• Like 6

Chu Liu Hsiang

HE HAS NOTHING BUT KUNG FU - not a fan of comedies in general but really like this one. Great action, Liu Chia Hui and Wong Yu make a good odd couple team. I'll never get used to the sight of LCH with hair, I always think he's wearing a wig.

With subs and uncut, thanks to @TheKungFuRobber Go Ahead Reaction GIF

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

HE HAS NOTHING BUT KUNG FU - not a fan of comedies in general but really like this one. Great action, Liu Chia Hui and Wong Yu make a good odd couple team. I'll never get used to the sight of LCH with hair, I always think he's wearing a wig.

With subs and uncut, thanks to @TheKungFuRobber Go Ahead Reaction GIF

This is a GREAT movie. I watched it at least twice or thrice and enjoyed it at each time.

• Like 3