What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

How would this have turned out, if those guys had been directed the action?. Who's actually giving credit for directing the fight scenes, other than Jim Kelly?.

Pat E. Johnson did the non-Kelly fights, according to the IMDB.

• Like 3

I like Jim Kelly. He went downhill pretty quickly though from working and starring in WB movies to Al Adamson schlock. Tattoo Connection is very good ,if you can get hold of Kuenfist's widescreen custom. It's quite crazy he didn't make a comeback of sorts in all those late 80's early 90's DTV movies.

Ninja 3:The Domination

Silly 3rd entry in the trilogy has garnered something of a cult reputation,for me it's the worst of the three movies. An areobics instructor is possessed by the spirit of a dead Ninja. It's very hokey.

• Like 2

A Fistfull of Talons

Admittedly, I already knew the ending of this one before watching it.  Over a decade ago, there was a YouTube video: top 10 WTF moments in martial arts movies.  This made the cut.  The film itself is actually very good, even with the WTF ending.  Lots of fights, brief runtime, an actual engaging story.  Billy Chong is very good and Whang In-Shik absolutely kills it in the final fight, just like he did in the previous year with Jackie in Dragon Lord.  

• Like 6

Vices of Terror

Been going through the nordic Kung Fu Classics, Vol. 1 Box Set and just finished with Last Hurrah for Chivalry.

One of the better flicks for sure. John Woo's directing skills were already there before his heroic bloodshed stuff, the plot is a solid tale of honor and vengeance and what's best, the final fight is insanely intense!!! Loved it.

Edited by Vices of Terror
  • Like 6

On 12/6/2020 at 7:31 AM, saltysam said:

Ninja 3:The Domination

Silly 3rd entry in the trilogy has garnered something of a cult reputation,for me it's the worst of the three movies. An areobics instructor is possessed by the spirit of a dead Ninja. It's very hokey.

Agreed, I always thought this was the weakest of Sho Kosugi's Cannon ninja flicks. That said, it has one of the best Ninja/Martial Arts movie openings of all time.

On 12/6/2020 at 7:31 AM, saltysam said:

I like Jim Kelly. He went downhill pretty quickly though from working and starring in WB movies to Al Adamson schlock. Tattoo Connection is very good ,if you can get hold of Kuenfist's widescreen custom.

I'd like to see this get an offical Widescreen release, I still only have bootleg full-screen copies of this one.

• Like 4

Tower of Death (1991) - The fight scenes on this one are top notch. I’m a massive fan. They’re pretty varied too. The rest of the film is very enjoyable but most people will like it in a wacky, ironic way. This film is OUT THERE. The first half an hour “starring” Bruce Lee is pretty dismal. The cut and splice scenes of Bruce just do not work in the slightest. It’s only when Tong Lung (in the Bobby Lo role) comes long that the film finds its pace and delivers on its potential.

That’s not to say the film isn’t insane when Bobby Lo comes along. It’s crazy. Roy Horan is on top form as a rare steak eating peacock lover.

It’s very fun and, again, the action is wonderful. But ultimately it’s a complete mess. Albeit an enjoyable one.

• Like 4

On 12/10/2020 at 11:58 AM, Vices of Terror said:

Been going through the nordic Kung Fu Classics, Vol. 1 Box Set and just finished with Last Hurrah for Chivalry.

This has been on my to watch list for far too long, I really need to pick up Eureka's release of this one.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

A Blow of Fury(1977) - Click on the link below for some of my thoughts on this Old-School production.

BobbyKim22.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Killer Meteor

I dug out my old tape of BRUCE TAKES DRAGON TOWN, which is a mid-70s Taiwanese basher with an 80s dub and new, misleading, title card, and even more misleading video box - it claims the film stars Bruce Le and then gives a description of the plot from the Bruce Li film DEADLY STRIKE. The dub, with everyone given English names, doesn't help but overall the film is a run-of-the-mill flick hampered by its bizzare leading man, Yuan Si-ho, who is a rather scrawny guy with bad teeth and unremarkable fighting skills. I can only assumed he financed the film, as it kisses his ass a lot!

• Like 5

Vices of Terror

Knockabout – went in blindly, was surprised positively. I liked the insane acrobatics and the dark turns the story takes while beginning with a lightier, comedic mood. Definitely above average with flips to remember it by.

• Like 6

Chu Liu Hsiang

18 JADE ARHATS - I was distracted in between and thus missed some plot details but enjoyed the multitude of fights and weird characters. Will rewatch in a while. Polly Shang Kuan so delightfully snippy! I have not seen Li Lung Hua before, according to hkmdb he was only in seven movies. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 10:40 AM, Drunken Monk said:

The first half an hour “starring” Bruce Lee is pretty dismal. The cut and splice scenes of Bruce just do not work in the slightest. It’s only when Tong Lung (in the Bobby Lo role) comes long that the film finds its pace and delivers on its potential.

Agree with your thoughts on this, though the Casanova Wong/Kim Tai-Chung glass house fight staged Sammo Hung being a highlight. As is the staff fight featuring Yuan Biao & Brady Yuen Chan Jan-Yeung. I like the other two early fights in the singers dressing room, and the street brawl. That said, the films gets better when the Bobby Lo character come on board.

• Like 3

Any film that features Roy Horan eating raw meat, keeping a monkey on his shoulder and having his own personal safari park deserves a Criterion Collection solo SE, not relegation as an extra on a BL box set.

• Like 4

On 12/14/2020 at 2:11 AM, DragonClaws said:

This has been on my to watch list for far too long, I really need to pick up Eureka's release of this one.

Yes, please watch it....pretty please.  Watching Woo's The Killer actually led me back to Last Hurrah for Chivalry and The Young Dragons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, morpheus said:

Yes, please watch it....pretty please.  Watching Woo's The Killer actually led me back to Last Hurrah for Chivalry and The Young Dragons.

I had plenty of chances to picks it up on VHS, but always end up choosing another movie. Got a few releases from 88-Film I need to pick up aswell. When I eventually purchase Last Hurrah for Chivarly, I'll post a review of it here on the forums.

• Like 2

Kill and Kill Again (1981)

Yes, its that James Ryan vehicle shot mostly in South Africa.  It's campy, and has a wasted plot; but for some reason it's watchable.  I still laugh throughout the film, but it fills time without being melodramatic or too serious.

220px-Kill-and-kill-again-movie-poster-md.jpg

• Like 3

I recnetly re-watched Master Killers(1980), click on the link below for some of my thoughts on this one.

MasterKillers.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2020 at 2:52 PM, DragonClaws said:

Fantastic title, is this an early Taiwanese basher movie @ShawAngela?.

Sorry for the late reply...

Yes, it's a 1973 Taiwanese movie, with a lot of good fights, rebels against invaders and family plot.

• Like 2

Today,I watched  :

Fighting ace : very good fights, and a little bit of comedy that made me laugh and it's always enjoyable to see Doris Lung fighting...

Death duel of kung fu : John Liu and Wang Tao's feast ! Almost non stop fights during the whole movie ! Am I mistaken or is it the Mantis Style that is used by both Wang Tao and Eagle Han Ying in this movie ? Definitely a movie that I'll put in my "to revisit list"...

• Like 6

I watched The dragon, the hero this evening.

Tino Wong and John Liu paired very well, and I think that it's the first time I see John Liu using so much his hands in his fights, and using what I believe to be the Eagle technique ?

Dragon Lee has some good fights, imitating Bruce Lee as usual, and using some weapons which aren't really nunchakus, since there is only one section, but he uses them as if they were nunchakus.

And Ko Fei is GREAT !! He uses so many techniques in this movie !! Even a kind of exorcism technique !!

I wonder if he had a martial arts background, I didn't find anything mentioned on wikipedia about this matter...All his fights are so powerful there !

I watched the movie in German, so, first, it took me a while to find the English title, and second, it was a little bit difficult to understand what was going on, but I enjoyed it a lot !

• Like 5

I watched Incredible kung fu mission this evening.

This movie is the first John Liu's movie that I watched maybe 30 years ago on a French VHS release, and I remember that I was very impressed by his footwork.

Watching this movie today made me realize that I had totally forgot the plot and that I only remembered Robert Tai and his incredible wig and way of fighting with his cape, and the 5 men trained by John Liu. And I recognized Alexander Lou Rei today, though he isn't billed under this name in the credits.

I also recognized the Shaws' actor who played in The Fantastic Magic Baby, who ends à la Chang Chen with his friend like Ti Lung and David Chiang in The Duel.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, and the final fight between John Liu and Alan Chui is great !

I watched the German dvd release included in the 12 John Liu's movies boxset, with some scenes in English.

Is there someone here who bought the Asia Line release and can tell me if the quality print is better and uncut, please ?

• Like 5

I am going to be going through all of Bruce Lee's films this week( I'm watching them with my mom, who has never seen any of his films before). I started with "The Big Boss(1971)". One of the very first Marital Arts films I ever watched and still one of my favorites. I'll be watching "Fist of Fury(1972)" tomorrow. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I watched Incredible kung fu mission this evening.

This movie is the first John Liu's movie that I watched maybe 30 years ago on a French VHS release, and I remember that I was very impressed by his footwork.

Watching this movie today made me realize that I had totally forgot the plot and that I only remembered Robert Tai and his incredible wig and way of fighting with his cape, and the 5 men trained by John Liu. And I recognized Alexander Lou Rei today, though he isn't billed under this name in the credits.

I also recognized the Shaws' actor who played in The Fantastic Magic Baby, who ends à la Chang Chen with his friend like Ti Lung and David Chiang in The Duel.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, and the final fight between John Liu and Alan Chui is great !

I watched the German dvd release included in the 12 John Liu's movies boxset, with some scenes in English.

Is there someone here who bought the Asia Line release and can tell me if the quality print is better and uncut, please ?

I don't think the Asia Line DVD is out until 7th January. The old USA Crash Cinema release looks great, english dubbed and i think there was a UK DVD that used the same print.

• Like 4

Breaker! Breaker! (1977) - Chuck Norris' first leading role is interesting: the martial arts film had largely allied itself with the Blaxploitation genre after Enter the Dragon. By 1977, that genre was on its way out. So how did it perpetuate itself? By sneaking into a Hicksploitation action-drama with a dose of 70s Fadsploitation (the CB radio craze). The movie is fairly entertaining, I guess. There's little evidence on display that Chuck Norris' roundhouse kicks could alter a person's DNA in such a way that their grandchildren will rub their heads wondering "What the f*** just hit me?" It is interesting for me to watch this at a time when critics are dog-piling on Hillbilly Elegy more because it doesn't match their politics and because it "promotes Appalachian stereotypes" than for any of its merits (a lá The Green Berets): this film's depiction of lower-class whites living off the beaten path as a bunch of corrupted crooks looking to screw over cityfolk in every way possible would make critics' heads explode if remade today in exactly this way.

• Like 3