What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm assuming the not-really-a-sequel Iron Monkey Strikes Back isn't quite as good.

I liked it but it does have two flaws. A lot of the fights are filmed in the dark for some reason . Then in the middle half, Chen Kuan Tai teams up with a woman he met earlier in the movie but she is annoying, I’d say she’s the worse thing about the movie . Other than that I think it’s good.

Edited by HeavenSword
  • Like 4

Killer Meteor
On 9/27/2020 at 11:54 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Yes, very recently... always been '78.... not sure what happened there.

Someone has also moved SHAOLIN KIDS from 1977 to 1975.

• Like 4

On 11/4/2020 at 7:30 PM, Drunken Monk said:

We may pour out our malt liquor for today's kung fu cinema but I'd take something like Shocking Kung Fu of Huo's over this.

New Mainland stuff over old school? Blasphemy :laugh

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
4 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Someone has also moved SHAOLIN KIDS from 1977 to 1975.

Hmmm... would really like to know what they're basing this on.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HeavenSword said:

I liked it but it does have two flaws. A lot of the fights are filmed in the dark for some reason . Then in the middle half, Chen Kuan Tai teams up with a woman he met earlier in the movie but she is annoying, I’d say she’s the worse thing about the movie . Other than that I think it’s good.

If i remember rightly it was a bit mediocre save for a badass ending involving Chen Sing

• Like 3

Iron Head Rat
On 11/5/2020 at 9:30 PM, Drunken Monk said:

The Iron Monkey (1977) - This was an incredibly eye opening watch for me. Mainly because I've owned the film on both VHS and DVD and somehow had never actually watched it. And now I ask, why isn't this film talked about more? No one lists this as a classic and it is absolutely wonderful. Simple, straight forward and jam packed with amazing fight scenes. In my opinion, this is one of Chen Kuan Tai's best.

The final thirty minutes of this film is one of the best final thirty minutes in kung fu cinema history in my eyes. Fight after fight featuring Wilson Tong, Beardy, monkey fist, eagle claw, three section staffs, guandaos, spears, swords etc. It's incredible!

And I love the choreography in this film. It's so crisp and good looking. Can anyone recommend me any other films choreographed by Chen Mu-Chuan? I'd love to check out more of his stuff. I think the only other one I've seen is Ninja Wolves.

The Iron Monkey is up there as a classic in my eyes. It's a perfectly paced, action-packed joy. I'd love to see it remastered one day.
I'm assuming the not-really-a-sequel Iron Monkey Strikes Back isn't quite as good.

I love this film.. Same as vengeance DVD.. Would love a beautiful copy.

• Like 4

Bruce Against Iron Hand

The dream team of Bruce Li & Leung go up against Ku Feng, who's kung fu is so intense, he says in one scene, it stops him having sex :tongueout the new Asia line German dvd has an english dub and is fully widescreen. A couple of inserts lasting a couple of minutes to make it uncut but best version i've seen of this one.

• Like 7

On 11/6/2020 at 12:54 AM, HeavenSword said:

Are you referring to Chia Ling ? I don't remember if there is another woman in the movie, and if I'm not mistaken, Chia Ling's role was so small that I was very disappointed wen I watched the movie.

• Like 3

On 11/6/2020 at 12:04 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Big Boss of Shanghai

This movie is a must have. It's fast, with a good plot and very good fights and Lung Fong and Chen Kuan Tai pair very well.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Are you referring to Chia Ling ? I don't remember if there is another woman in the movie, and if I'm not mistaken, Chia Ling's role was so small that I was very disappointed wen I watched the movie.

Yep Chia Ling . Could have done without her , although she looked good in the fights. You might be thinking about her friend in the movie that dies, her role was pretty brief .  

• Like 3

Secret Ninja

Dragon Lee turns up late to a tournament ,where the best fighter gets to marry the rich millionares daughter.They let him fight anyway,he wins but must go off to clear the marriage with his kung fu master. From there the plot gets convoluted in a way Godfrey Ho is a master of, Dragon teams up with another fighter and a girl and after some shenaginans they head off to rescue the girl he's marrying,who by now has been kidnapped by Ninjas led by baddie Hwang Jang Lee. Unfortunately Hwang doesn't cut loose until the end two on one fight and there's some really painfully unfunny comedy here, it's a passable enough 80 odd minutes though.

The Asia Line DVD has an english dub but i was disappointed with the quality, clearly a worn VHS transfer though it is widescreen ratio (not full) the earlier Asia Line dvds, a lot seem to come from film prints,they must have exhausted those.I don't expect blu ray quality on these but the price isn't cheap, we are paying near blu ray prices for these.

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

THE HEROES - definitely not the average standard plot. Luckily Wu Ma had Ti Lung who can really act, otherwise some scenes would seem ridiculous/ tedious instead of tragic. 

• Like 7

ShaOW!linDude

Mystery of Chess Boxing (1979) stars Li Yi Min, Mark Long, Jack Long

Ah Pao (LYM) wants to learn kung fu, and eventually winds up studying under chess master Chu Siu Tien (JL). Meanwhile the Ghost Face Killer (ML) is going around seeking all those who banded together in an attempt to kill him years ago. He takes them out one by one until he finally faces off against Ah Pao and Master Chu.

Why did I wait so long to see this? What is wrong with me? The choreography in this is insanely good. This has to be the best old school film I've seen in a while. There are a few slapstick fights and the comedy drags, but for the most part it's a good story. Really my only qualm was the undercranking at times was a tad too quick, but fortunately that wasn't a constant. Jack Long as the Ghost Face Killer is phenomenal. There is some dazzling bootwork, and the choreography is so intricate at times. Yeah, I need to watch this a bunch to make up for all the times I should've watched it over the years.

• Like 8

On 9/18/2020 at 3:58 PM, Killer Meteor said:

In the Mandarin trailer, yep - Carter's voice is even more shrill!

Funny , gay villain in Way of Dragon sounds even more whiny in the chinese version

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
12 hours ago, Coliseum1972 said:

Funny , gay villain in Way of Dragon sounds even more whiny in the chinese version

Yeah, the Cantonese version is very shrill!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Coliseum1972 said:

Gathering of heroes 3/6 , stars Chen Sing.......nothing special

While I agree that it's nothing special, you neglected that it also stars Polly Shang Kuan Ling Feng...POLLY SHANG KUAN LING FENG!!!!

• Like 6

Chu Liu Hsiang

THE SMART CAVALIER - I never saw a Joseph Kuo movie that disappointed me. This one was a surprise as I had expected a "standard" plot but it is a rather funny wuxia comedy - until the last 20 minutes when the tone changes, Lo Lieh appears as  evil end boss and a rebel's wife and kid are killed. I think this was the first time I saw Yi Yuan in a non villainous role, as Doris Lung's fight-skilled grandfather. In the last scene, the movie returns to its comedic atmosphere. 

Spoiler

There is a moment of creative killing when Lo Lieh bites off the finger of the attacker, and then kills him by "spitting" it finger-tip first into his throat.  

• Like 5

Drunken Arts and Crippled Fists:

Decent Kung fu comedy. There isn’t much of a story, but some of the comedy is pretty funny. Particularly Wei Peng-Ao pretending he can fight. The tired trope of a woman disguised as a man is used to ill effect (as usual). Chiang Hsiao Fan plays that character, and seems to be a pretty impressive screen fighter. She wasn’t credited with any other movies on HKMDB, but I felt she looked familiar. A good portion of the run time is Lee Yi-Min practicing forms, and he’s talented and athletic enough to where that is entertaining. Simon Yuen is his typical drunken master character with some pillows stuffed in his shirt to make him a “hunchback”, complete with some good stunt doubles.

Lee Yi-Min and Lung Tien Hsiang have some really good fights against each other. The titular style looks a bit ridiculous, but is hardly featured. Lung Tien Hsiang is one of those guys who’s name I never remember, but his face is always recognizable and he typically leaves a good impression on me. Similar to Wang Chi-Sheng who has a smaller role in this movie.

Lo Lieh is credited but doesn’t appear at all from what I noticed. When I looked it up, I found a lobby card with Lo Lieh and Lee Yi-Min fighting, I wonder if they planned to have him in the movie but it didn’t work out?

• Like 8

Unbeaten 28

Solid Joseph Kuo movie, and probably the best of the “Bronzeman” style movies where the hero has to go through a series of challenges, several which involve fighting stone men.

If you’re not into those kind of scenes, this movie would be a bit tedious, as that takes up the majority of the film. There are some nice fights between Mang Fei and Max Lee Chiu-Chun (Who I’m unfamiliar with) during those sequences though.

Jack Long only has a supporting role and doesn’t get to do much in this. The finale between Mark Long, Mang Fei, and Jeanie Chang was excellent though, although it gets a bit hokey near the end with Mark Long pushing buttons that makes rocks fall and status move trying to crush the heroes..

I have seen Mang Fei in supporting roles in several films, but he never stood out to me. While he isn’t the athletic Lee Yi-Min who we often get to see taking on Mark Long, he is pretty impressive in this. I’d be interested in seeing more of him as a lead.

• Like 5

Killer Meteor
On 11/17/2020 at 5:27 PM, paimeifist said:

Drunken Arts and Crippled Fists:

Lo Lieh is credited but doesn’t appear at all from what I noticed. When I looked it up, I found a lobby card with Lo Lieh and Lee Yi-Min fighting, I wonder if they planned to have him in the movie but it didn’t work out?

The transfer currently avaliable is a German (or Dutch, I forget which) print, so it's likely been cut to make it shorter, possibly explaining for Lo not being in the film. Has anyone seen a longer version?

• Like 4

The Magnificent Butcher-1979

Directed by Yuen Woo Ping

Starring Sammo Hung,Yuen Biao,Fan Mei Sheng,Lam Ching Ying,Lee Hoi San,Fung Hak On.

Didn’t sit through all of this as I have many times just went straight to the action and what a sight to behold.Sammo is Fantastic he weighs god knows how much but he bounces around like a monkey,Biao is great with his kicks and flips,Lee Hoi San is a worthy advisary(with red hands)and Lam Ching Ying is a beast with a fan.Great cast and a great film.👍👍👍👍

Edited by sym8
  • Like 6