What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

25 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Side note: Is there an original language version of this on anywhere and, if there is, does Carter Wong have an insanely high pitched voice in that one too?

I was wondering the same thing when I watched it !

Nice post.

• Like 1

I had the misfortune of sitting through Lackey and the Lady Tiger today. While it was nice to see Mars in a leading role, for the first hour the film is a grating comedy. What little action there is is played for laughs.

Things heat up an hour in but not enough to save the movie. It essentially becomes a second rate Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow rip off. Hwang Jang Lee shines (oddly, Mars doesn’t) as he usually does, showing off his kicking and pole skills. But this is mostly a dud. Definitely a film I won’t be watching again.

It is interesting to realize that this shot, so often associated with Hell’s Wind Staff is actually from this movie...

9F0A23AA-8CA6-4FD4-A3B2-AC1D75ED1622.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I had the misfortune of sitting through Lackey and the Lady Tiger today.

Here's my review. Our thoughts are more or less the same:

• Like 3

Fist Of Fury Part 2

Solid follow up benefits from having some of the returning cast of the original and Ho Chung Tao being in fine form. Let's itself down a little by being a little lazy and rehashing scenes from the original.Pretty much non-stop action, the german DVD is best around but a Pearl River blu ray would be nice.

Fist Of Fury 3

Ho Chung Tao returns in another solid entry. Some think this is superior to Pt 2,i put it slightly behind. Paul Wei returns as a very similar character to the one he played in the original, Ku Feng is here as the big bad but joins the film far too late. Great 20 minute climax set during a thunderstorm.German DVD is again the best release, a little soft and dark.

• Like 3

10 Magnificent Killers-1977

Directed by Fong Yau

Starring Bolo,Nick Cheung

Great action packed indie production with Bolo looking dapper in his bright red getup,well worth a watch.

Incredible Kung fu master-1979

Directed by Cheung Tung-cho

Starring Sammo Hung,Stephen Tung Wai,Lee Hoi San,Ko Fei

If you get annoyed with the comedy just skip the first 1/3 of the film but after that you get plenty of the good stuff.Made the year after Warriors Two while this isn’t up to the same standards you do get a great entertaining shapes movie with a great cast and choreography,check it out.👍👍

• Like 3

The 7 Grandmasters - One of the best kung fu movies of all time as far as fights go. It’s non-stop shapes and acrobatics and even features what I think is one of my favourite weapons fights of all time.

The plot is a little convoluted with a kung fu book, revenge plot and a twist but Joseph Kuo chooses your keep the silly comedy to a minimum. Something that makes the film that much better.

Great cast too. Mark Long doesn’t get a lot to do but Jack Long, Li Yi Min, Alan Chui, Lung Fei, Chin Yuen Sang and Corey Yuen all get blistering fight scenes.

I think this would rank highly on my “top 100 kung fu movies” of all time list.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
16 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

The 7 Grandmasters - One of the best kung fu movies of all time as far as fights go. It’s non-stop shapes and acrobatics and even features what I think is one of my favourite weapons fights of all time.

The plot is a little convoluted with a kung fu book, revenge plot and a twist but Joseph Kuo chooses your keep the silly comedy to a minimum. Something that makes the film that much better.

Great cast too. Mark Long doesn’t get a lot to do but Jack Long, Li Yi Min, Alan Chui, Lung Fei, Chin Yuen Sang and Corey Yuen all get blistering fight scenes.

I think this would rank highly on my “top 100 kung fu movies” of all time list.

One of the best KF indies, one of the best Taiwanese KF films and probably the best KF road movie of all time.

But, quick question... this movie has always been listed as being from 1978, every place online I have ever looked, the year of production was 1978.... untill recently. Now it is listed on both HKMDB and IMDB as 1977 with a release date of March 21st. Where did this come from, does anyone know? I usually check with HKFA when in doubt, but can't seem to find it on there as the search engine is a nightmare. If anyone can clear this up, that would be great.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 3

Here is a  copy-paste of the tranlation of  what is mentioned on baike baidu :

Favorites

Tiger Leopard Dragon Snake Eagle

discuss Upload video
  • Taiwan, China
  • 89 minutes
"Tiger Leopard Dragon Snake Eagle" is a martial arts movie released in 1978, directed by Guo Nanhong . Yuan Kui, Li Yi, played in a democratic manner.

Types of
Kung Fu/Martial Arts
director
Guo Nanhong
release time
Length
89 minutes
Main actors more
resize,m_fill,w_80,h_80,align_0,limit_0

Yuan Kui

table of Contents

Basic Information

Chinese name
Tiger Leopard Dragon Snake Eagle
Foreign name
7 Grandmasters
Other translated names
Tiger Leopard Dragon Snake Eagle Fighting
Types of
Kung Fu/Martial Arts
Production area
Taiwan, China
Directing
Guo Nanhong
Screenwriter
Guo Nanhong, Du Guowei, Yao Qingkang
Starring
Yuan Kui, Li Yimin
Length
89 minutes
release time
Production time
February 19, 1980

Plot Introduction

The Seven Leaguelords of Jiangnan Boxing King, who have been standing in the arena for more than 30 years, were given a horizontal plaque "Qingtian Yizhu" for helping the court to suppress bandits. He planned to announce his retreat to the Jianghu during the plaque hanging ceremony, but did not want to receive a letter The letter to challenge the flying knife, which says "Honor is easy to be the champion of the boxer, is not easy to be the leader of the South Seven League". The signature is actually dissatisfied. He had to change his original intention and decided to meet the five big punches of the seven provinces of Jiangnan. The queen plans again...
[1-2]  

There is also a Taiwanese site that lists it also in 1978...

I can't find the hkfa site anymore, nor dianying site !
  • Like 2

TheKungFuRobber

The Phantom Kung Fu - Taiwanese classic from director Lee Tso Nam, featuring Wong Tao as a revolutionary against a villainous kung fu technique who comes back from the dead as a villain, with some stunning martial arts sequences, hilarious costumes and an exciting storyline and some of the maddest English dubbing put onto film. 10/10

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

The Phantom Kung Fu - Taiwanese classic from director Lee Tso Nam, featuring Wong Tao as a revolutionary against a villainous kung fu technique who comes back from the dead as a villain, with some stunning martial arts sequences, hilarious costumes and an exciting storyline and some of the maddest English dubbing put onto film. 10/10

I know what you mean, the voices on this are so funny, especially Chang Yi! Great Shapes Fu though!

Bless

Edited by ukrevrend
Bold
  • Like 4

On 9/20/2020 at 11:13 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

One of the best KF indies, one of the best Taiwanese KF films and probably the best KF road movie of all time.

But, quick question... this movie has always been listed as being from 1978, every place online I have ever looked, the year of production was 1978.... untill recently. Now it is listed on both HKMDB and IMDB as 1977 with a release date of March 21st. Where did this come from, does anyone know? I usually check with HKFA when in doubt, but can't seem to find it on there as the search engine is a nightmare. If anyone can clear this up, that would be great.

As it's Taiwanese, it probably won't be on HKFA.

As it has music from Roots, March 1977 isn't too early, but the film definetly feeels like a post Snake in the Eagle's Shadow movie. Given Joseph Kuo's other such films are from mid-1978 onwards, I feel March 1977 is an error.

• Like 4

HKFA has it as 1978

虎豹龍蛇鷹.

Hong Kong :Hong Hwa International Films Ltd.,1978.
Director, Joseph Kuo.
Simon Lee (aka Li Yi Min), Long Kun-ng (aka Loong Koon-mo), Jack Long, Yen Nan-xi (aka Nancy Yen).
Kuo, Joseph,Yao, Ching-kang,Lin, David,
國語.
  • Like 3

On 9/22/2020 at 9:04 AM, TheKungFuRobber said:

My ears are still bleeding from that awful dubbing!

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

HKFA has it as 1978

虎豹龍蛇鷹.

Hong Kong :Hong Hwa International Films Ltd.,1978.
Director, Joseph Kuo.
Simon Lee (aka Li Yi Min), Long Kun-ng (aka Loong Koon-mo), Jack Long, Yen Nan-xi (aka Nancy Yen).
Kuo, Joseph,Yao, Ching-kang,Lin, David,
國語.

I fucking knew it. Don't know where that '77 business came from.

• Like 2

Slaughter in SF 3.5/6 , i kinda enjoyed it , i wish Norris wouldve made more kung fu films

I like Infernal St , Kidnap in Rome and Ninja strikes back (NSB is Le's most entertaining film besides Enter Game or the one he did with Chen Sing imo......the fight with the black guy was bad though. I liked the chemistry between Le and Hwang)

• Like 3

Theres a childrens song called Arne Alligator , it kinda sounds similar to Duel to Death theme , lol

(He-Man theme was supposedly made for a 70s game show or something but put on hold some yrs)

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 3

On 9/24/2020 at 12:30 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I fucking knew it. Don't know where that '77 business came from.

It's only recently been added to the various webstites. I vaguely recall a November '78 release date on HKFA years ago.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
46 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

It's only recently been added to the various webstites. I vaguely recall a November '78 release date on HKFA years ago.

Yes, very recently... always been '78.... not sure what happened there.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 3

Hero Of Shanghai (1977) - A who done it , murder mystery with Chen Kuan Tai traveling to find a compatriot , who ends up getting murdered in front of him . A lot  of things here reminded me of a Chor Yuen flick , with some nice sets , smoke, tons of characters being introduced throughout the movie and plot twists.  Chen Kuan Tai does a great job as the lead. There are quite a few fight scenes and of course he delivers in each one ( I always thought he was one of the most vicious fighters) .  I recognized quite a few actors from the Shaw Brothers films too.  Recommended. 

There’s also an actor here ( Chin Kang )  that stood out towards the end , delivering a few impressive kicks in the finale . 

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

Basher Fest with THE MANDARIN, THE EAGLE'S KILLER, THE CANNIBALS and FOR WHOM TO BE MURDERED. Enjoyed them all but now I want something completely different. 

• Like 4

The Iron Swallow

Very cool movie, the first half hour isn’t very fight heavy, as Judy Lee just runs around assassinating or maiming people (One guy gets his eyes slashed, another gets his ears cut off, and another gets his hands dismembered.)  This already makes it a great movie in my book.

Takes a while to figure out what the heck is going on, but the plot is actually among the better indie fu plots once it gets going. Some old dudes did some dirt in their past, now they’re paying for it and it puts them at odds with their sons. The ending has a nice and unexpected dramatic touch.

The action is good overall, Judy Lee gets to strut her stuff quite a bit, Wang Yung-Sheng who you’ll recognize as an oft used henchman type is the standout performer in the action, and also gets the most fight time. Wong Tao is underused, but the best fight is probably a brief skirmish between him and Judy Lee in the end.

My only gripe is that Yi Yuan being the main villain made for a lack luster finale. You could tell the rest of the cast had to tone it down to fight him, I wish they would have kept Wang Yung-Shengs character around to duke it more with Judy Lee, Ting Wa-Chung, and Wong Tao.

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 5

Recently got round to viewing this early Golden Harvest movie, click on the link below for my When Taekwondo Srtrikes ramble.

When-Taekwondo-Strikes-500x500.jpg

• Like 6

Kung fu from beyond the grave-1982

Directed by Lee Chu

Starring Billy Chong,Lo Lieh,Alan Hsu

Found this a lot more enjoyable than his other Kung fu /horror movie Kung Fu Zombie.Chong is on top form in the fight sequences(choreographed by Alan Hsu)and Lo Lieh is a worthy adversary,and unlike the afore mentioned Kung fu Zombie the undercranking isn’t over the top.Check it out 👍👍

• Like 7