What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

I also got a Mandarin version with English subtitles of Queen Boxer !!

But the dvd was full of freezing issues and stopped at 18mn !! :bs_firey::angry

If I can't find a replacement, I'll become mad !!

If I find one, I'll give my comments as soon as I watch the movie.

What i can already say, is that the picture quality is great ! In comparison to the French language VHS I first watched the movie in the 90's, it's a miracle !! At the beginning of the movie, in the VHS, it was even impossible to see that there were men in the inn when Ma Yong Zhen arrives, and today, I clearly saw them !!

Today, Sunday, I tried the dvd on another player and I was at the 7th Heaven when I saw that it seemed to play well, but...of course, during the end of the movie, when Chia Ling arrives at the inn to get revenge, it stopped !!! I really need a replacement !! :bs_firey::monk_crying:

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 2

I got a Mandarin version with English subtitles of The legendary strike. I remember that I had already got one from @NoKUNGFUforYU months ago, and that I had said that there was a song with patriotic lyrics at the end of the movie. i wonder if it's the same version I got, because I noticed some scenes that I didn't remember at all...

I don't remember if it happened in @NoKUNGFUforYU version of not, but the song can also be heard during the movie, when Paul Chiu Kong arrives at the inn with the coffin.

The credits say that it's Joseph Koo who wrote the music ; I love it. And I also love the song, and I discovered today in the credits that it's the great Roman Tam who sings it.

And do I need to say that I enjoyed this movie a lot ?! It's one of these movies like Blooded Treasury Fight or The heroic ones or a lot of other ones that I could watch again and again without being bored at all !

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 4

The Octagon: Pretty sweet Chuck Norris ninja movie. The plot was a bit muddled at first, but that’s not really why we were watching this one anyway. Definitely the best fighting performance from Chuck Norris, and Richard Norton was awesome as the giant ninja enforcer. 

The echo voiced internal dialogue whenever Chuck was thinking to himself was cracking me and my wife up. 😂 

• Like 3

From China with Death aka Wits to Wits (1974) - An early Wu Ma directorial effort that plays like a caper film, unusual for your average early 70s basher. Yuen Woo-Ping helms the choreography and once more proves that the man was before his time in how he set up the fights, puts in a level of complexity that borders on 80s kickboxing-style fighting, pushes his fighters to give their best (even Wu Ma looks competent in his fights!), and even used some slight undercranking to keep the pace of the fights lively. Shek Kin plays the main villain and gets a better showcase for his skills than in Enter the Dragon.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3

Killer Meteor
7 hours ago, DrNgor said:

From China with Death aka Wits to Wits (1974) - An early Wu Ma directorial effort that plays like a caper film, unusual for your average early 70s basher. Yuen Woo-Ping helms the choreography and once more proves that the man was before his time in how he set up the fights, puts in a level of complexity that borders on 80s kickboxing-style fighting, pushes his fighters to give their best (even Wu Ma looks competent in his fights!), and even used some slight undercranking to keep the pace of the fights lively. Shek Kin plays the main villain and gets a better showcase for his skills than in Enter the Dragon.

I liked this one too. It gets a good write-up in some 1970s books on the genre - I expect its being sort of a comedy made it stand out from the pack.

I have a hard time believing Shek Kin was 60+ when he made this!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I have a hard time believing Shek Kin was 60+ when he made this!

You know he's older, but he sells his abilities really well. I think he studied Eagle's Claw (among others), which you can see in his joint and arm manipulations.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DrNgor said:

It's been said that this movie was a predecessor of knockabout comedy in the fu genre, any thoughts?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

It's been said that this movie was a predecessor of knockabout comedy in the fu genre, any thoughts?

It might be one of the predecessors. If you look at the supporting cast--Huang Ha, Yuen Shun-Yee, Yen Shi-Kwan, Tino Wong, Fung Hak-On--you'll definitely recognize people who'd work with Jackie, Sammo and the Yuens in their later kung fu comedies.

It's hardly the first one; nor is it the only one from 1974. Win Them All (1973) with Yasuaki Kurata had its fare shair of comedic fight scenes. The Bruce Liang films Call Me Dragon and Kidnap in Rome also had a lot of comedy in them; they were directed by Ng See-Yuen, who would produce Drunken Master and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

Way of the Dragon come to mind too.

Yeah, I'd say Way of the Dragon is the earliest example of intentional comedy in any kung fu film that I know of

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

It might be one of the predecessors. If you look at the supporting cast--Huang Ha, Yuen Shun-Yee, Yen Shi-Kwan, Tino Wong, Fung Hak-On--you'll definitely recognize people who'd work with Jackie, Sammo and the Yuens in their later kung fu comedies.

It's hardly the first one; nor is it the only one from 1974. Win Them All (1973) with Yasuaki Kurata had its fare shair of comedic fight scenes. The Bruce Liang films Call Me Dragon and Kidnap in Rome also had a lot of comedy in them; they were directed by Ng See-Yuen, who would produce Drunken Master and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

I haven't seen these movies yet, but I know of Kidnap in Rome, never expected it to be anything other than a typically furious, serious in tone, contemporary basher. These are a welcome recommendations, thanks

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Yeah, I'd say Way of the Dragon is the earliest example of intentional comedy in any kung fu film that I know of

There might be another slightly earlier example, but I need to re-watch the movie I'm thinking of first.

• Like 1

Warriors Two - Close to perfection. The only thing that irks me about this film is that Casanova Wong’s Wing Chun is tossed out of the window at the end.

Otherwise, this is simplicity at its best: bad guys, training scenes and crisp fight sequences. Amazing stuff. Dean Shek does make for a grating goof but that’s par for the course.

The choreography in this one is stunning. Even Fung Hak On’s daft as a brush “leaning mantis” gets a pass. We’ve got shapes, hard bumps, weapons and, of course, that kick. One of Sammo’s best.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Warriors Two - Close to perfection. The only thing that irks me about this film is that Casanova Wong’s Wing Chun is tossed out of the window at the end.

Otherwise, this is simplicity at its best: bad guys, training scenes and crisp fight sequences. Amazing stuff. Dean Shek does make for a grating goof but that’s par for the course.

The choreography in this one is stunning. Even Fung Hak On’s daft as a brush “leaning mantis” gets a pass. We’ve got shapes, hard bumps, weapons and, of course, that kick. One of Sammo’s best.

One of my favs. What I loved the most about it, was Beardy's character. I gotta say, this could be my favorite role of his, the calmness and the stoic wisdom with which he portrayed Leung Jan, coupled with that white hair, is what makes WT unique for me. I love training scenes, a sprinkle of wisdom and a good master-student relationship in my fu flick, this one delivers in abundance and does it masterfully. 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

In my humble opinion better than anything Lau Kar Leung and Jackie did in terms of the shapes genre.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sym8 said:

In my humble opinion better than anything Lau Kar Leung and Jackie did in terms of the shapes genre.

I totally agree! A top class Shape Fu, that sits on top of everything else in the genre, Sammo gave us a masterpiece!

Bless

• Like 2

Code Of Silence

Solid Chuck Norris police thriller but little in the way of martial arts action,Chuck at his peak has a presence he lacked in some of his earlier efforts.

Fist Of Unicorn

Most fans have a low opinion of this one, however i quite like it and due to the BL connection it's an important film of it's period. Unicorn Chan sees his parents killed as a young child and wants revenge. Now adult ,he ends up befriending a young scamp and his mother who looks more like his gran to be honest. The village is ruled by local thugs ,chief enforcer Yusaki Kurata. There's a cast of very well known faces here, Chin Ti, Mars, Wong-In-Sik, Chi Han Jae,Paul Wei, Mars. Some out of place comedy namely the stutter off between Chin Ti & Mars, Chin Ti's rhyming when he takes on a prostitute, (in the english dub anyway) then you have memorable scenes like the epic sequence of tension as Kurata searches the young boys home for Mars Sister, you can cut the atmosphere with a knife.Then we have possibly one of the greatest moments in martial arts movie history when Unicorn finally unleashes his Unicorn Palm on Wang-In-Sik. The old UK Soulblade DVD is widescreen but a pretty crappy print, This genre culture classic needs a Criterion or Arrow remastered Blu Ray to bring it the proper reappraisal it deserves.

• Like 4

On 9/11/2020 at 1:13 PM, Killer Meteor said:

Cathay's Mad Mad Mad Mad Sword, from 1969

On 9/10/2020 at 7:35 AM, Super Ninja said:

Be sure to let me know @DragonClaws

I havent viewed any of the old Wong Fei-Hung films featuring Kwan Tak-Hing. Surely one of those movies must have featured some comedy elements?.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 8:42 PM, saltysam said:

Fist Of Unicorn

Most fans have a low opinion of this one, however i quite like it and due to the BL connection it's an important film of it's period. Unicorn Chan sees his parents killed as a young child and wants revenge. Now adult ,he ends up befriending a young scamp and his mother who looks more like his gran to be honest. The village is ruled by local thugs ,chief enforcer Yusaki Kurata. There's a cast of very well known faces here, Chin Ti, Mars, Wong-In-Sik, Chi Han Jae,Paul Wei, Mars. Some out of place comedy namely the stutter off between Chin Ti & Mars, Chin Ti's rhyming when he takes on a prostitute, (in the english dub anyway) then you have memorable scenes like the epic sequence of tension as Kurata searches the young boys home for Mars Sister, you can cut the atmosphere with a knife.Then we have possibly one of the greatest moments in martial arts movie history when Unicorn finally unleashes his Unicorn Palm on Wang-In-Sik. The old UK Soulblade DVD is widescreen but a pretty crappy print, This genre culture classic needs a Criterion or Arrow remastered Blu Ray to bring it the proper reappraisal it deserves.

This film made me a Pink Floyd fan!

• Like 2

On 9/13/2020 at 9:25 PM, DragonClaws said:

I havent viewed any of the old Wong Fei-Hung films featuring Kwan Tak-Hing. Surely one of those movies must have featured some comedy elements?.

I haven't seen any of those either, I was never too interested in any of the pre-60's HK martial arts films

• Like 2

Triangular Duel

Not bad effort from Joseph Kuo, with another early appearance from Ho Chung Tao. I'd like a nice anamorphic release of this.

Art Of War

Big brother Eddie Ko lets power go to his head and becomes a right nasty swine, taking the eyes out of one brother and crippling another. Together with little sister and another goofy brother they team up to try and take him out. Some unfunny comedy mixed in with some quite dark scenes but overall not bad. I'd never heard of this one, found it on Youtube in a nice widescreen print.

• Like 4

I'm beginning to notice something...

For those that don't know, I'm an alcoholic (three years sober). Ironic forum name, I know. Well, it's dawned on me that I've watched a LOT of kung fu films when absolutely shit-faced drunk. For example, today I watched Born Invincible. In my head, I'd seen it and enjoyed it. Revisiting it today felt like watching the movie for the first time. I barely even recall Jack Long being in it.

I feel like my drunkenness has caused me to forget loads of moments in loads of movies. Something I'm not proud of.

As for the movie, it's loads of fun. Carter Wong at his best, in my eyes. I've never really been a fan of his clunky physicality but he pulls off his character's Tai Chi style superbly here. Thanks to Yuen Woo Ping, I'm sure.
I've always liked Joseph Kuo. He doesn't tend to fuck around with tedious comedy and, instead, gives the audience kung fu aplenty. Even the goofiness of The Mystery of Chess Boxing isn't too egregious.
Wit this one, it's ALL kung fu. Very refreshing indeed. I'd also forgotten just how weapons heavy the first half of this movie it. Lo Lieh with his Swiss Army Knige tonfa, loads of broad swords and then Corey Yuen and Yuen Shun Yi with the two-in-one spears. Great stuff.

This one is just a classic shapes fest. Paper thin plot, granted, but who cares? I'm a fan.

Side note: Is there an original language version of this on anywhere and, if there is, does Carter Wong have an insanely high pitched voice in that one too?

• Like 10