What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

• Administrator
Yes I liked it which is not always guaranteed with Tsui Hark films to me. I almost have a love-hate relationship with his movies. Mini-review below which gives some of my opinions on it which I wrote right after watching it last October. Ah the memories of the cross dressing molester.

Right on! I enjoyed your review.

I know what you mean about Tsui Hark, and once in a while I feel that way too. Though it is much-loved, I found ZU: WARRIORS FROM THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN (1983) to be nearly unwatchable, other than the more grounded Sammo and Yuen Biao stuff. I really wanted to enjoy it, but my eyes kept glazing over. I definitely enjoy more of his films than I dislike, but I found FLYING SWORDS OF DRAGON GATE (2011, aka. Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D) to be utter garbage. Enormous potential, but none of it was utilized in my opinion.

• Like 1

That is an awesome ending. This is fun to watch after Sleeping Fist (some write that Thundering Mantis is a sequel, it is not it is almost a remake) especially if you are a fan of Beardy. Out of coincidence, I happened to watch this in the same week as We're Going to Eat You.

Today I tried timing the german remastered widescreen print with the english dub from from the english fullscreen version of Sleeping Fist. I got the first 5 minutes correct then the part with the kid running on unicycle is longer on the english version versus the german which is cut...

The english version is 1h24 and german is 1h21 so it's cut by 3 minutes, but the opening is 30secs longer in the german print. I wanted to create a custom dvd but I gave up... it's too much work.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
Right on! I enjoyed your review.

I know what you mean about Tsui Hark, and once in a while I feel that way too. Though it is much-loved, I found ZU: WARRIORS FROM THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN (1983) to be nearly unwatchable, other than the more grounded Sammo and Yuen Biao stuff. I really wanted to enjoy it, but my eyes kept glazing over. I definitely enjoy more of his films than I dislike, but I found FLYING SWORDS OF DRAGON GATE (2011, aka. Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D) to be utter garbage. Enormous potential, but none of it was utilized in my opinion.

Thanks. I have not seen the first Zu, but the second one (2001) I did not particularly like either. I did not like Flying Swords of Dragon Gate much either. However films like Time & Tide, Shanghai Blues, OUATIC I love. Many others like Peking Opera Blues I like. I just got The Chinese Feast, so looking (somewhat) forward to that.

Today I tried timing the german remastered widescreen print with the english dub from from the english fullscreen version of Sleeping Fist. I got the first 5 minutes correct then the part with the kid running on unicycle is longer on the english version versus the german which is cut...

The english version is 1h24 and german is 1h21 so it's cut by 3 minutes, but the opening is 30secs longer in the german print. I wanted to create a custom dvd but I gave up... it's too much work.

I only have the FS English dub on that film. It would have been interesting to see a custom DVD of that.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Yes I liked it which is not always guaranteed with Tsui Hark films to me. I almost have a love-hate relationship with his movies. Mini-review below which gives some of my opinions on it which I wrote right after watching it last October. Ah the memories of the cross dressing molester.

Thanks for that review, really enjoyed reading this. Looks like a movie I could enjoy. :bigsmile:

• Like 1

Incredible Kung Fu Mission (1979)

Great movie! I think the best year for kung fu movie is 1979. John Liu leg work is amazing, he can kick your ass to the moon or something. There is one bad guy who looks ridiculously gay but that's part of the fun. I watched the Pagoda Films version which is recorded from a 35mm transfer and the picture quality is amazing, almost zero damage to the reel.

Compare it to the french version.

Bach Films:

DVDVolume-20_af9a72fa469fd6916622083936a42af1.jpg

Pagoda Films:

169f4mr.jpg

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
Incredible Kung Fu Mission (1979)

Great movie! I think the best year for kung fu movie is 1979. John Liu leg work is amazing, he can kick your ass to the moon or something. There is one bad guy who looks ridiculously gay but that's part of the fun. I watched the Pagoda Films version which is recorded from a 35mm transfer and the picture quality is amazing, almost zero damage to the reel.

Compare it to the french version.

Bach Films:

DVDVolume-20_af9a72fa469fd6916622083936a42af1.jpg

Pagoda Films:

169f4mr.jpg

Oh SHIIII...

The pagoda version is beautiful! is that an official release?

• Like 1

Big Boss of Shanghai 3.5/6

I think that is a generous score for that movie. It stole heavily from the Shaws Boxer from Shantung but missing all of the qualities that made bfs a classic.

• Like 1

Duel of the 7 tigers.

3 out of 5 from me. I know Chan Sui Pang is an expert in shapes. But I'm not keen on his choreography, it lacks creativity - the fights were mostly dull. I did like the one with Yeung Pan Pan and the spinning plates. The final fight was a let down. And I think Philip Ko shouldn't have been cast as the main villain.

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid
Nah! This is:

kungfutheater2_zpsb184fb60.jpg

I have to admit he's great in that too, though it's more of an ensemble piece with the great HJL and Tito. Glad you brought that film up, think I'll watch it before I workout today to fire me up. :bigsmile:

• Like 1

I have to admit he's great in that too, though it's more of an ensemble piece with the great HJL and Tito. Glad you brought that film up, think I'll watch it before I workout today to fire me up. :bigsmile:

I think incredible kung fu mission is still john lius best...I do not remember which company dvd I have but widescreen and quite good quality, Pity about dubbing tho but we rarely see old skool kung fu outside shaw studios with original language.

John Liu vs Robert tai is sick.

If that pic was taken from invincible armour, its magnificent too.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
I think incredible kung fu mission is still john lius best...I do not remember which company dvd I have but widescreen and quite good quality, Pity about dubbing tho but we rarely see old skool kung fu outside shaw studios with original language.

I doubt any old school MA movie that is neither a Shaw nor a Golden Harvest film would get a original language release. It seems like the companies releasing them on BD/DVD use VHS rips of these most of the time - and I can't really complain, films like Masters Of Tiger Crane or Incredible Kung Fu Mission have hilarious dubs that add to the comic value of the films (talking of the French dub here). :tongue:

• Like 1

Actually although I prefer modern HK movies from 80's onward in canto with english subs, I actually prefer the english dubbing on these old skool KF movies, they lend the movies a cheesy charm :smile:

If that pic was taken from invincible armour, its magnificent too.

indeed! :wink:

• Like 1

have hilarious dubs that add to the comic value of the films (talking of the French dub here). :tongue:

Same with the english dubs my friend :wink:

• Like 1

sifu iron perm

what's the best version available for Of cooks and kung fu? I heard the dragon region 2 is a bad transfer?

• Like 1

I doubt any old school MA movie that is neither a Shaw nor a Golden Harvest film would get a original language release. It seems like the companies releasing them on BD/DVD use VHS rips of these most of the time

It might be true like 10 years ago but now there is excellent high-definition print of classic kung fu movies these days. It seems in France people still use old 4:3 CTR TV even in 2014 because most dvd are "compatible 4/3" and companies like Bach Films or First International released movie recorded from an old vhs tape they found in a garage sale.

The german actually kick ass with their kung fu dvds, they usually have the best print on the planet and most of them have the original language. For exemple:

Duel of the Seven Tigers (1979):

bd6ae6311868617.jpg

Return of the 18 Bronzemen (1976):

c5bc77311868613.jpg

Of Cooks and Kung Fu (1979):

2224f8311869010.jpg

Just watched Hell's Windstaff. Love that movie! Is the Eastern Heroes DVD really widescreen?

it's letterboxed, black bars on the four sides, but yeah it's widescreen.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
It might be true like 10 years ago but now there is excellent high-definition print of classic kung fu movies these days. It seems in France people still use old 4:3 CTR TV even in 2014 because most dvd are "compatible 4/3" and companies like Bach Films or First International released movie recorded from an old vhs tape they found in a garage sale.

The german actually kick ass with their kung fu dvds, they usually have the best print on the planet and most of them have the original language. For exemple:

Duel of the Seven Tigers (1979):

bd6ae6311868617.jpg

Return of the 18 Bronzemen (1976):

c5bc77311868613.jpg

Of Cooks and Kung Fu (1979):

2224f8311869010.jpg

Was talking essentially of what I encountered as far as releases went. The releases from Bach Films were made in the early 2000s (the copyright for most of them indicates 2003 or 2004), which could explain the "4:3 compatibility".

By comparison, the recent Ninjas set by small company Artus Films (released last Fall) or Wild Side's Shaw Bros releases are great: the Artus Films set includes the English (original ?) and French dubs for all 3 films and has them widescreen instead of cropped to be fullscreen. Wild Side's Shaw Bros like Legend Of The Bat (among many other titles) are in fullscreen (in all their Shawscope glory), with great colors (picture quality is really awesome) and you ONLY get the original dub with subtitles.

• Like 1

sifu iron perm

fighting life starring sum si wah and chou se tung. (1981)

same guys from two crippled heroes..?

not a bad flick with some messed up disses..

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

The Victim with Beardy and Sammo, top caliber fights. Beardy vs the Foot Doctor was exhilarating, never knew Wilson Tong could pull off footwork like that. I'm sure some of it was probably doubled though.....

• Like 1