What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

ShawAngela

I watched None but the brave this evening, after many years.

Once again, I had forgotten how good this movie was, and I spotted Jackie Chan as a Japanese youngster !

I think that, together with Operation Lipstick, it's the only movie in which Cheng Pei Pei kicks and punches, her other movies being either Huang Mei musicals or wuxia, right ?

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 3

JackieRome

Seven Steps of Kung Fu: Holy shit (excuse me) these are the movies I'm looking for. Something I've never seen and I'm surprised at. When the story is nonsense but it doesn't matter if you have real aliens in the martial arts field. No trampolines, slow-motion, cables, idiotic weapons made out of tin foil, demented comedy that's not funny, you go straight to the point and your jaw is completely dislocated. When you think you've seen the best fight, there's always a new one that gets better. That's the stuff I want to see. In one word: stunning. 8/10

• Like 4

JackieRome

7 Grandmasters: Recovered. Now I understand why among the fans is always mentioned: the very classic story has all the typical solutions that I want in films of the genre. The fights except some naivety (the slippery back for example) are all very good and fast. It's a shame that some films don't have (and maybe never will) a proper restoration. 7/10

• Like 5

ShawAngela

Today's feast :

Kung fu executioner, Billy Chong feast

Two other movies that I'll post in the general section

Half of 18 bronze girls of shaolin : I felt bored and as it's time to go to bed, I stopped the dvd !

• Like 2

JackieRome

Shaolin Vs Lama: Always finding it on the top film charts, I was very excited to see it. The story is quite trivial, but when has it ever been important if the fighting is good? apart from a fight in the first part and the last, there are no great things. You're not amazed, and from the way they talked about it, I thought who knows what an extraordinary thing it was. The splash of water coming out of your mouth after a while is funny. The version I saw with the screen cut at the sides and the darker scenes practically incomprehensible, didn't help. You can still see that it's a low quality production. Hero of Shaolin always with Lo Rei, I liked it better, but that one had a much better direction. Here we are in the sufficiency. 6/10

• Like 1

ShawAngela

I finally finished to watch 18 bronze girls of shaolin this afternoon. I had already watched it many years ago as a French language VHS or dvd, I don't remember and I had found it very so-so. This time, I got a German dvd mentioned as uncut, and I thought that maybe there were missing scenes in the French version and that this version would help me to better understand what was going on in this movie, but well...I still think that it's a total nonsense by itself !

Maybe if it was in original language with accurate English subtitles it would help a little bit, but I can't get into this movie, either in English or French language. The fights with Doris Lung and the other heroes are good, but the story is completely absurd in my opinion.

And Yueh Hua only appears at the beginning for a few seconds, and at the end for the ending fight, and he barely says 10 words and that's all !!

A waste of money...

• Like 3

ShawAngela

Fortunately, just after watching 18 bronzegirls of shaolin, I watched the German dvd release of Incredible kung fu master with Sammo Hung and Tung Wei, and it saved my day : good fights, good trainings, good plot, good humor.

• Like 4

On 5/13/2020 at 4:28 PM, JackieRome said:

Seven Steps of Kung Fu: Holy shit (excuse me) these are the movies I'm looking for. Something I've never seen and I'm surprised at. When the story is nonsense but it doesn't matter if you have real aliens in the martial arts field. No trampolines, slow-motion, cables, idiotic weapons made out of tin foil, demented comedy that's not funny, you go straight to the point and your jaw is completely dislocated. When you think you've seen the best fight, there's always a new one that gets better. That's the stuff I want to see. In one word: stunning. 8/10

Glad you enjoyed it, as I did a couple weeks ago, when I revisited this classic, as I said in my review 'Shape Fu' at it's best!

Bless

• Like 3

ShawAngela

Last movie for today : Invincible sword.

The good thing with these rewatching of movies I hadn't watch since 10 or 11 years is that I rediscover them as if it was the first time.

This one is no exception, and I guess that Wang Yu kills as much people as in The assassin !!

When I began to collect movies, I didn't know who were the actors, nor did I have any knowledge regarding Chinese history.

I don't have much more knowledge, but I became used to a lot of actors and stories/legends.

This movie is the telling of how General Yue Fei was tricked, in another way as it was told by the Shaws in 12 gold medallions, but the story focuses on how many heroes gave their life in order to save him in both movies.

One can't be wrong watching this movie with such a great cast : Hsu Feng, Wang Yu, Liu Ping, Sit Hon, Shan Mao (playing a good guy and without beard, for once, Lung Fei and Tien Yeh as villains as ever, Chang Chung playing a stubborn Yue Fei, Lei Jun, Chang Yi, CHen Hung Lieh, Miao Tian and an actress whose name doesn't seem to be mentioned in hkmdb, i don't know who she is ; she plays Hsu Feng's sister.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I finally finished to watch 18 bronze girls of shaolin this afternoon. I had already watched it many years ago as a French language VHS or dvd, I don't remember and I had found it very so-so. This time, I got a German dvd mentioned as uncut, and I thought that maybe there were missing scenes in the French version and that this version would help me to better understand what was going on in this movie, but well...I still think that it's a total nonsense by itself !

Maybe if it was in original language with accurate English subtitles it would help a little bit, but I can't get into this movie, either in English or French language. The fights with Doris Lung and the other heroes are good, but the story is completely absurd in my opinion.

And Yueh Hua only appears at the beginning for a few seconds, and at the end for the ending fight, and he barely says 10 words and that's all !!

A waste of money...

Thanks for the "warning" I thougt about getting it (mostly because of Yueh Hua)! 

• Like 3

JackieRome
20 hours ago, ukrevrend said:

Glad you enjoyed it, as I did a couple weeks ago, when I revisited this classic, as I said in my review 'Shape Fu' at it's best!

Bless

Yes, my friend, I really appreciate it. I'm devastated because these films will never see the light of day in a restored version

• Like 2

ShawAngela

Movies of the day :

Shaolin death squads : YES !! I finally got the right one, but...in German language only !! The quality print is excellent ! Almost non stop fights !!

Gold snatchers : EXCELLENT !! Non stop action movie, with Chen Sing playing a good guy, for once, and Lung Fei playing a similar role as the one he played in Karate King.

D Day in Macao : EXCELLENT !! Non stop action movie in which Wong Yuen San, Bruce LIang, Hon Kwok Choi and Mang Hoi are excellent. Even Hu Chin has a small fight against a Japanese !

I'm glad that I still find movies that I hadn't watched or heard of even at my age !! :bs_laughing:

• Like 2

JackieRome

The Mystery Of Chess Boxing: The copy was as shoddy as all the other copies of this production that are in circulation. The film is uninteresting in any case. Always the specter of Drunken Master hovering in the story and characters. I've heard of it as a film of great reference but it didn't seem like anything much. story already seen, usual bullying in school, usual fight with food, some actors don't even know how to fight, except for the 3 protagonists. Jack Long you can see very little and I wasn't impressed. I prefer 7 Grandmaster. 4,5/10

• Like 3

sifu iron perm
On 5/14/2020 at 6:11 PM, ShawAngela said:

Fortunately, just after watching 18 bronzegirls of shaolin, I watched the German dvd release of Incredible kung fu master with Sammo Hung and Tung Wei, and it saved my day : good fights, good trainings, good plot, good humor.

Hiya! Did the German print include English dub?

What is called in German? Incredible kung Fu master

Thank you Angela

• Like 1

ShawAngela
10 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:
On 5/14/2020 at 7:11 PM, ShawAngela said:

Hiya! Did the German print include English dub?

What is called in German? Incredible kung Fu master

Thank you Angela

The German title is Die Schlitzaugen mit dem Superschlag.

It's in German or English or Mandarin language, with German subtitles. I watched it in Mandarin because I already more or less knew/remembered the story, since I had the French language VHS and dvd.

It's mentioned as being uncut with a running time of 89 mn, but it seems to me that there are some jumps. I should watch my French dvd and see if it's the same print, but when...that is the question !

• Like 3

ShawAngela

For my daily dose of martial arts movies, I "shooted " myself with four movies today !

Renegade master : first viewing and first enjoyement.

The valiant ones : second or third viewing and I enjoyed it as much as the other times. I got it on a German dvd with English subtitles and Mandarin language, but sometimes the English subtitles disappeared too quickly or didn't translate all of the dialogues or weren't true to the Mandarin language : for instance, Hsu Feng calls Pai Ying "brother", but during the scene in the pirates den, they are referred to as a couple...

Hell's windstaff Asia Line release : first viewing, and I enjoyed it, but I regret that it was only in German or Cantonese language...

And I finally put my Hoker dvd of The Red Phoenix in the player, after having let it in a box for TOO MANY years  !! I enjoyed it a lot ! With a lot of great actors in it : Lo LIeh, Yueh Hua, Jack Long, Wang Hsieh, David Chiang, Shan Kuan Ling Fung Lee Tao Hung, Blacky Ko !! What more is there to ask for ??!! And, as Lo Lieh, Yueh Hua and David Chiang thought, I also thought that it was Lee Tao Hung who was teh Red Phoenix !!

• Like 4

Blood of The Dragon- Didnt find anything too noteworthy of this movie. Some fights were alright, nothing to write home about. All in all not a blad flick. Jimmy Wang Yu kind of reminds me of the protagonist from Call of Heroes released in recent years, maybe part appearance, and they're both kind of loners who get themselves into more trouble than they intend to.

Best scenes beginning and end, where a guy is stabbed with a sword through his chest in the beginning and end of nice weapon clashing and blood drawing. Also cool fight scene in pitch black woods with weapons swinging.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Graeme Of Death
18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

For my daily dose of martial arts movies, I "shooted " myself with four movies today !

Renegade master : first viewing and first enjoyement.

The valiant ones : second or third viewing and I enjoyed it as much as the other times. I got it on a German dvd with English subtitles and Mandarin language, but sometimes the English subtitles disappeared too quickly or didn't translate all of the dialogues or weren't true to the Mandarin language : for instance, Hsu Feng calls Pai Ying "brother", but during the scene in the pirates den, they are referred to as a couple...

Hell's windstaff Asia Line release : first viewing, and I enjoyed it, but I regret that it was only in German or Cantonese language...

And I finally put my Hoker dvd of The Red Phoenix in the player, after having let it in a box for TOO MANY years  !! I enjoyed it a lot ! With a lot of great actors in it : Lo LIeh, Yueh Hua, Jack Long, Wang Hsieh, David Chiang, Shan Kuan Ling Fung Lee Tao Hung, Blacky Ko !! What more is there to ask for ??!! And, as Lo Lieh, Yueh Hua and David Chiang thought, I also thought that it was Lee Tao Hung who was teh Red Phoenix !!

What's the picture quality like on that version of Hell's Windstaff? It's one I've been after for a while.

• Like 2

ShawAngela
5 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

What's the picture quality like on that version of Hell's Windstaff? It's one I've been after for a while.

I'm not really a reference to comment on the quality print of this movie (or others) because first, I watch my movies on the computer, so, for me, the quality is good mos of the time, and second, I don't have any other release of this movie to compare.

All what I can say is that there are some Cantonese language scenes during the German print that seem to be of less quality than the rest and that at a moment, there is a vertical line one the image for several seconds near the end of the movie, but all in all, it's a correct print, for me.

Maybe other members who bought this release could give you a better comment.

• Like 3

ShawAngela

This evening, I watched :

Invincible super guy : I bought this movie from Jamal years ago and I hadn't had time to watched it until today. What a superb non stop action movie, with a lot of our usual stars in it : Lung Fei (without his moustache), Kitty Meng Chui, Chang Yi, Pai Ying, Shan Kuan Ling Fung, Sit Hon, Miao Tian, Liu Ping and Shut Shu TIng.

Three shaolin musketeers : I watched my French language dvd, that runs for 1h18mn. Does anyone know if it's the real running time and if there has been any other release than the Frrench language one on dvd format ? The comedy made me laugh and the fights with Meng Fei, Doris Lung and the other actress Elsa Yang are good though too short...Lo Lieh and Beardy have a short role. I think that everyone must have had fun during the shooting of this movie.

• Like 2

Snake Deadly Act-1980

Directed by Wilson Tong

Starring Ng Kwan-Lung,Fung Hak-On,Wilson Tong,Ko Fei,Chan Wai Man,Angela Mao Ying,Bolo.

Enjoyable shapes movie choreographed by Wilson Tong with a very good supporting cast.The choreography is crisp and the hero(Ng Kwan-Lung)definitely has the skills.A packed supporting cast make this a very good film and all get there time to shine.Apparently the star Ng Kwan-Lung never made another film which is our loss because he is good.👍👍👍👍

• Like 4

ShawAngela
2 hours ago, sym8 said:

Snake Deadly Act-1980

Directed by Wilson Tong

Starring Ng Kwan-Lung,Fung Hak-On,Wilson Tong,Ko Fei,Chan Wai Man,Angela Mao Ying,Bolo.

Enjoyable shapes movie choreographed by Wilson Tong with a very good supporting cast.The choreography is crisp and the hero(Ng Kwan-Lung)definitely has the skills.A packed supporting cast make this a very good film and all get there time to shine.Apparently the star Ng Kwan-Lung never made another film which is our loss because he is good.👍👍👍👍

I have to watch this one, then !!

• Like 3

ShawAngela

Three superb movies today !

The big family

Infernal street : I think that I fell for Yu Tien Long when I was young after seeing the poster of one of my Dragon Magazine in which he jumps in the air. I had never watched any movie in which he played at that time, but I never forgot his name, and I discovered today that the poster was from this movie, and that this movie was GREAT !! I wanted to watch it years ago and I finally got a vcd in Mandarin (if I'm not mistaken) months ago, and this week, the English language dvd, so, it made my day !!

Chase step by step : Another one that I longed to watch for ages, and I finally got a dvd this week too. GREAT movie too ! I almost didn't recognized Champ Wang in it ! I think that there must be a cut scene at around 53mn, because him and Hsu Feng are drying their clothes, and right after that, the image jumps to a bandit killed by a sword while they are on their way, but we don't see the fight, and then, the Korean fighter appears and he says that he has appreciated the fight and wants a contest, so, I'm almost sure that there is a cut, and the movie runs only for 1h21...

I enjoyed my evening !!:bs_smile:

• Like 4

DragonClaws
19 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I have to watch this one, then !!

Look out for Bolo Yeung painted green, and a minor role from Angela Mao as a brothel madam?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2