What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

HERO OF SHAOLIN AKA NINJA VS. SHAOLIN GUARDS AKA GUARDS OF SHAOLIN 1984 W/S Eng Dub 

Starring: Alexander Lo Rei, 'Shallow Head' Eagle Han Ying

Decided to watch my w/s Terracotta version (Hero of Shaolin) over my f/s Tai Seng version  last night (Ninja vs Shaolin Guards) and I'll be honest, it's the first time I have watched this w/s version and i'm glad I did, the quality on this release is stunning, for a MPEG 2 DVD!

With Robert Tai action directing the impressive Alexander Lou Rei & Shallow Head Eagle Han Ying it's definitely a must see!  Shape Fu fans will love this one, it has Eagle Han Ying throwing some Mantis and if you know about Eagle Han Ying, you know his Mantis style is up there with the best of them.

Lot's of great action in this movie and the story line isn't bad either, shaolin monks trying to protect The Golden Sutra from enemies  within the temple and the government!

4/5

Bless

• Like 6

Encounters of the Spooky Kind: I've always loved this film because Sammo shows that he can do better than the usual story of revenge, training with the master and final revenge. I prefer this movie to many other classic hailed titles. It's not the usual Cantonese demented comedy (especially not Dean Shek playing the idiot and ruining everything, so we're saved) here the irony is nice and entertains without exaggerating with too many dumb faces. horror/grotesque component is very funny. You almost don't miss the martial arts for much of the movie. The make-up, the direction, the editing, are of excellent level; you can see that it is a film that has been edited. Even Sammo anticipates the possessed hand that will come only a few years in Evil Dead 2. I've always seen this version remastered by the Fortune Star, but most likely they plundered the soundtrack of Predator (which still fits very well with the re-created sounds).

• Like 5

On 4/26/2020 at 1:21 PM, ukrevrend said:

HERO OF SHAOLIN AKA NINJA VS. SHAOLIN GUARDS AKA GUARDS OF SHAOLIN 1984 W/S Eng Dub 

Decided to watch my w/s Terracotta version (Hero of Shaolin) over my f/s Tai Seng version  last night (Ninja vs Shaolin Guards) and I'll be honest, it's the first time I have watched this w/s version and i'm glad I did, the quality on this release is stunning, for a MPEG 2 DVD!

With Robert Tai action directing the impressive Alexander Lou Rei & Shallow Head Eagle Han Ying it's definitely a must see!  Shape Fu fans will love this one, it has Eagle Han Ying throwing some Mantis and if you know about Eagle Han Ying, you know his Mantis style is up there with the best of them.

Lot's of great action in this movie and the story line isn't bad either, shaolin monks trying to protect The Golden Sutra from enemies  within the temple and the government!

4/5

Bless

I've seen it too. The story's as useless as 80% of it but it's got crazy action. Fast, acrobatic, crazy (the water of blood, sometimes even yellow, coming out of the mouths is too much laughter but it suits us well). It's the first time I've seen it but as an action it's much better than some of the better known Hong Kong films.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, JackieRome said:

Encounters of the Spooky Kind: I've always loved this film because Sammo shows that he can do better than the usual story of revenge, training with the master and final revenge. I prefer this movie to many other classic hailed titles. It's not the usual Cantonese demented comedy (especially not Dean Shek playing the idiot and ruining everything, so we're saved) here the irony is nice and entertains without exaggerating with too many dumb faces. horror/grotesque component is very funny. You almost don't miss the martial arts for much of the movie. The make-up, the direction, the editing, are of excellent level; you can see that it is a film that has been edited. Even Sammo anticipates the possessed hand that will come only a few years in Evil Dead 2. I've always seen this version remastered by the Fortune Star, but most likely they plundered the soundtrack of Predator (which still fits very well with the re-created sounds).

I agree, top notch movie from Sammo! First saw this in the UK on TV, Channel 4 showed it late at night introduced by Jonathan Ross in the 80's, it blew me away! As you said, not your average kung fu movie, there's not a lot kung fu, but the little we get, is worth waiting for.  Sammo at his best!

Bless

• Like 5

After 20 or 25 years, I decided that it was time to watch again two of my French language movies, One Foot Crane and To subdue evil, that were in a double dvd  case.

I wonder if I have cut movies or not.

The running time mentioned for One Foot Crane is 1h20mn24s, and for To subdue evil, it's 1h25mn and a few seconds.

And I wonder if my release of One Foot Crane is just a French dubbed of the English language release, because at a moment, I heard English words, and the credits are in English. There's a superb song during the movie and at the end.

Do I need to say that Lily Li, Barry Chan and Sze Ma Lung are superb ?! And of course, we have here the usual villains Lo Lieh, Miao Tien, O Yau Man and Tsai Hung...

And in To subdue evil, we also have O Yau Man and the king of the villains Yi Yuan. Chen Hung Lieh and Tien Peng are excellent, and Doris Lung is really barely recognizeable here...A pity that the writers didn't gave her more consistent fights...

• Like 3

I'd never seen it before and I liked it enough. The fights aren't great, but some of them shine not for the protagonists (just beautiful) but for Fung Hark On. Even Hoi Sang Lee I never liked how he fights (often slow and with outstretched arms) but only in Jackie's movies. Damian Liu stands out for his acting. The film is good in other ways, like the story and themes so dear to Woo. Beautiful and above the standard of many films of the period. 

• Like 2

Last Hurrah for Chivalry: I'd never seen it before and I liked it enough. The fights aren't great, but some of them shine not for the protagonists (just beautiful) but for Fung Hark On. Even Hoi Sang Lee I never liked how he fights (often slow and with outstretched arms) but only in Jackie's movies. Damian Liu stands out for his acting. The film is good in other ways, like the story and themes so dear to Woo. Beautiful and above the standard of many films of the period. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Do I need to say that Lily Li, Barry Chan and Sze Ma Lung are superb ?! And of course, we have here the usual villains Lo Lieh, Miao Tien, O Yau Man and Tsai Hung...

I wanted more crane and less swordplay from Lily Li in this film.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JackieRome said:

Even Hoi Sang Lee I never liked how he fights (often slow and with outstretched arms) but only in Jackie's movies. 

What did you think of Lee Hoi San in performances under direction from Sammo Hung or Lau Kar Leung?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, paimeifist said:

What did you think of Lee Hoi San in performances under direction from Sammo Hung or Lau Kar Leung?

That many actors who are not very quick or who approach the choreography always with wide arm movements and almost never with realistic fists looking for contact, thanks to the right montage and the right choreography, can be better. Lee Hoi in Warriors Two for example gave me the same impression. In Prodigal Son (a film that like many people I find a masterpiece) you can see so little of him that it almost doesn't bother me. In Kar Leung's for a long time I haven't seen one with him involved and I can't tell you. In Jackie's films, on the other hand, everything is realistic (the contact of the shots, I mean), the overall speed and fluidity of the choreography, so even if it's well directed it works. Usually I find him too big, not very graceful and always moving in the same way. Unfortunately I have, for my particular tastes, a bad relationship with the old classic choreographies when they are not acrobatic and fast without the help of assembly. I'm not satisfied with a lot of films that for many are masterpieces: for example Magnificent Butcher and Warriors Two (I see them again, I think they're cute, but they're not the movies I quote for great fights) I don't find them impressive as choreographies; or like other old Shaw films that are not directed by Lau Kar Leung; I hardly like them (unless the story is so original and particular from the usual stories, that makes me forget the bad choreographies)

New Dragon Gate Inn: A great remake of a classic. Perhaps even better in many ways. King Hu's movies unfortunately, apart from the great photography, bore me a lot (I remember a great sleep I got when I saw Raining in the Mountain, I never finished it) but Dragon Inn is a classic. This remake of Tsui Hark has magnificent scenery, crazy fights (very few unfortunately) and an interesting morbid sensuality among the characters. The ending Donnie Yen and the leg with the arm that become skeleton after they've been sliced is a bit trashy and funny, but it remains a great movie. I never had the courage to see the modern 3d remake of Tsui Hark ever again (I don't think I'll ever see it, for my and Tsui's respect).

Edited by JackieRome
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 3:04 PM, paimeifist said:

I don’t think so, Kung Fu Zombie is comically undercranked and it greatly hinders the movie. This was one of the most memorable things about it to me, unfortunately.

Yes Billy Chong is an exceptional martial artist and I love all his films but the cartoony speed of the fight scenes in this film really hurt it even though his amazing skill and technique still shined through anyway.

• Like 5

On 4/26/2020 at 7:21 AM, ukrevrend said:

4/5

Bless

That opening credit scene is worth watching the movie alone! Eagle Han's leg control is incredible and rivals Tan Tao Liang's. Love when he's fighting the ninjas at the beginning and he's hopping on one leg throwing multiple kicks. And Lo Rei just radiates power, especially in the finale where he gets pissed off and starts flexing his muscles right after he spits all that blood outta his mouth!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JackieRome said:

New Dragon Gate Inn

Technically, this goes in the Modern Films section. It's from 1992.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CT KID said:

Yes Billy Chong is an exceptional martial artist and I love all his films but the cartoony speed of the fight scenes in this film really hurt it even though his amazing skill and technique still shined through anyway.

That's what I meant, for all of Billy's outstanding talent it was ruined with speed they used for the fight scenes, Why or Why!!!

Bless

• Like 3

On 4/26/2020 at 12:21 PM, ukrevrend said:

4/5

Bless

I’ve never seen any of his films,are they worth hunting down.Have Shaolin vs Lama but won’t watch because of the poor print so does any one know where I can get a good print of his films?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sym8 said:

I’ve never seen any of his films,are they worth hunting down.Have Shaolin vs Lama but won’t watch because of the poor print so does any one know where I can get a good print of his films?

Most of his films are worth watching. He's a good screen fighter and some of his films are fun because they're so loopy.

Shaolin vs. Lama is considered an all-time classic. I think I prefer Shaolin Temple Against Lama, which is a fight fest. Ninja vs. the Shaolin Guard is a special film to me: the first old school movie to not star Bruce or Jackie that I saw.

Mafia vs. Ninja has some good fights and some corny, OTT moments. Most of his ninja movies are like: good choreography, good skills, and some over-the-top, WTF moments.

He's in The Incredible Kung Fu Mission, which is also a fan favorite.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Shaolin vs. Lama is considered an all-time classic. I think I prefer Shaolin Temple Against Lama,

These are two different movies ?!! I thought that one was the aka for the other !!

It was Angela's feast this evening, with Stoner and Angry river.

I had watched both 10 years ago and remembered more or less Stoner, and that Angela Mao didn't fight during most of Angry river, but I rediscovered them.

I had forgotten that Stoner had such a beautiful Chinese Mandarin theme song during the credits and what a GREAT fight between Angela and Wang In Sik at the end of the  movie !!

The first time I watched Angry river, I was disappointed because Angela didn't have enough fights, but I enjoyed it more today, and finally, it was worth waiting for Angela's fight at the end.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

These are two different movies ?!! I thought that one was the aka for the other !!

Yeah, in Shaolin vs. Lama, he becomes a monk and learns Shaolin kung fu to defeat Chen Shan, a lama.

In Shaolin Temple Against Lama, he's a Lama prince being used by the villains, led by Alan Chui, to fight Shaolin. 

In both films, the main villain has an iron vest technique for him to break through.

• Like 4

Watched The Hot, The Cool and The Vicious for the first time. Had it recommended by a friend years ago. I had purchased the German DVD of Along Comes The Tiger, but hadn't noticed Vicious was also included (I can't sprechen sie Deutsch!)

Good dense plot that draws you in and surprised that there's more focus on the storyline than the fights.

I was hoping that Tommy Lee's limp would be the weakness that would prove his downfall in the final fight, but still a satisfactory climatic battle.

Great stuff and one to watch again!

• Like 5

paimeifist

@DrNgor I haven’t seen Shaolin Temple Against Llama, but on top of Shaolin vs Llamas other qualities; it features one of the best characters in all of classic Kung fu in The Drunken Monk played by Sung Jung Chi!

That movie gets a ton of bonus points from me just for that character. Sun Jung Chi was a great screen fighter, I’ve sat through some poor films to watch him fight. (A Wily Match)

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 4/27/2020 at 10:31 PM, JackieRome said:

Last Hurrah for Chivalry: I'd never seen it before and I liked it enough. The fights aren't great, but some of them shine not for the protagonists (just beautiful) but for Fung Hark On. Even Hoi Sang Lee I never liked how he fights (often slow and with outstretched arms) but only in Jackie's movies. Damian Liu stands out for his acting. The film is good in other ways, like the story and themes so dear to Woo. Beautiful and above the standard of many films of the period. 

Lee Hoi Sang is a really impressive and scary villian in this, as he is in the same year's Magnificent Butcher. But generally, I agree with your sentiments on him. He seems very classical and mechanical in his fighting movies (even on a modern fight like the car park fight in the Japanese cut of Heart of the Dragon), and frequently looks goofy or panicked in his facial expressions.

He is a good actor though. Besides the two films I mentioned, I like him as the bullying monk in 36th Chamber and the Willy Loman of the martial world in The Invincible Armour.

• Like 2

JackieRome
27 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Lee Hoi Sang is a really impressive and scary villian in this, as he is in the same year's Magnificent Butcher. But generally, I agree with your sentiments on him. He seems very classical and mechanical in his fighting movies (even on a modern fight like the car park fight in the Japanese cut of Heart of the Dragon), and frequently looks goofy or panicked in his facial expressions.

He is a good actor though. Besides the two films I mentioned, I like him as the bullying monk in 36th Chamber and the Willy Loman of the martial world in The Invincible Armour.

Sure. As a villain he has his presence because he's bigger than average, but like all the "big ones" he suffers a bit of slowness and in his approach to choreography. As charisma we agree that he does his job. In the cut Heart Of Dragon scene we didn't miss much. That sequence was generally done in a tired way. In his other appearances I like them too, then it depends if they made them up in too ridiculous a way: huge eyebrows, or pimples with hair, etc... then they ruined all the charisma and became ridiculous, like the appearance in Odd Couple. But it was all too ridiculous there for my taste.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I took a small break from my Bruceploitation binge to watch The Fists, the Kicks and the Evils. I haven't see a lot of Bruce Leung stuff and was pleasant surprised by the level of choreography on display. There's some beautiful shapes work here. However, it's marred by some truly ugly undercranking. I can't help but think the fights would have looked great at normal speed. They didn't need to be sped up.

Besides that, this is another "They killed my master!" movie, albeit a pretty good one. I can't recall many films that focus on Crane Fist so that was a nice breath of fresh air too. And I was glad to see Bolo looking fantastic here.

Does anyone know the origin of Bolo's "no look" style? He uses it here at times and even used it in a few Bruce Li movies? Did he personally ask fight choreographers to include that because it was his preferred style? Aside from Enter the Dragon, it's a bit of a trademark.

• Like 1

ShawAngela

I also finally managed to watch my 88 blu of Dragon fist.

I had already it on a French language VHS and on a surely cut French subbed dvd, but I had totally forgot the story.

What a superb plot and an excellent movie !! No comedy here, but a violent finale with Jackie Chan giving all what he has to uphold justice and take revenge !

And I'll neve r understand when there are several capable fighters, they all watch the hero being stabbed and don't help him !!

A pity that Nora Miao didn't have a single fight in this movie but the other actress Pearl Lin YI Zhu is excellent !

• Like 6