The Crazy World (1978)

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Has anyone got this movie?

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=5869&display_set=eng

It's an urban comedy-drama along the lines of House of 72 Tenants.

Unfortunately the version I saw (only one I could find with subs) ran only 74 mins and looked to be missing some (possibly adult in nature?) footage/scenes.

I would imagine that some of the stuff at the massage parlour and brothel have gone AWOL.

The HKFA list a VHS (likely PAL) run time of 85m (so if that's accurate we're talking an absence of 10-11 mins) and a full theatrical run time of 90m.

Any relevant info or clips would be appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Has anyone even heard of this movie?? lol

I wish there was a forum for Hong Kong Cinema and not just Kung Fu.

There appears to be a longer version on a Chinese website (@78 mins) but I can't access it because I'm not in China!

As if ANYONE gives a shit about copyright for this film?

Reel Power Stunts

I wish there was a forum for Hong Kong Cinema and not just Kung Fu.

Mark, you could try asking over at mhvf.net . Their Asian Cinema forums are not the busiest, but you will find folks there who enjoy all kinds of HK films.

Guest Markgway

Thanks for the tip. I took at gander and it looks like mostly Japanese movie topics.

Hong Kong cinema's greatest export is action cinema so I'm not surprised that most other genres get ignored on forums.

Reel Power Stunts
Thanks for the tip. I took at gander and it looks like mostly Japanese movie topics.

Perhaps, but their are some HK movie lovers there. For example, Tim Youngs (one of the mods) is the Hong Kong-based film correspondant for TIME magazine. Back in the late 90's the forums were a busy place....

Guest Markgway

I know no one is interested but fuck it...

I managed to see the longer 78m version - er, don't ask me how - and indeed it restores two saucy scenes cut for censorship.

However it is still cut (presumably for mainland audiences) by, I would guess, a couple of minutes, if the 85m run time is accurate that is, and even then that tape edition would have to be NTSC.

The 90m listed by the HKFA seems unlikely unless an entire subplot was removed.

The 78m version restores (from the further cut 74m version) a scene in which two burglars break into a couple's bedroom where they're having sex (some brief nude shots appear still to be snipped). Also restored is a scene in which a virgin boy visits a prostitute (again nude frames snipped).

Not restored (and likely counting for the extra 2-3 mins) is a scene in which a masseuse strips off and jumps naked onto her client. Uncut glimpses from the scene can be spotted in the end credits montage.

Reel Power Stunts

Hi Mark

Your interest in the film has now peaked my interest. Would you say this is good film? If it is a good 70's comedy,, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

I wonder whether the HKFA actually have a print. They get their prints from diverse sources - film producers/companies, TV stations, people who rescued them from Chinatown dumpsters.

Guest Markgway
Hi Mark

Your interest in the film has now peaked my interest. Would you say this is good film? If it is a good 70's comedy,, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

I wonder whether the HKFA actually have a print. They get their prints from diverse sources - film producers/companies, TV stations, people who rescued them from Chinatown dumpsters.

It's kinda like one of those chummy Cantonese new year comedies. Film is more like a series of loosely connected character sketches than a coherent plot. I wouldn't recommend it as such, but I've certainly seen much worse.

Archived