Zatoichi The Outlaw alternate scenes in the Trailer?!

waywardsage

waywardsage

I just watched Zatoichi The Outlaw tonight. I gotta saw, that last fight scene was pretty sweet! The image of Zatoichi sitting with muddy feet in the villains room when he opens the doors was amazing!

After I finished the film, I decided to check out it's trailer on the disc. Having just watched the entire film, I noticed a ton of scenes in the trailer that weren't in the film. In fact, they seemed to be alternately shot scenes of ones that were in the film. A bunch of them seemed to be deleted scenes too that showed more of other bit characters too. It was weird. Even the fight at the end was staged on a bridge instead of a hill side path that was in the film.

Has anyone ever noticed this? It was like the trailer was full of scenes that never made the film. Or bizarre alternately staged scenes from the ones that were in the film.

Thoughts?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlackLamaFaction

I just watched it to see what you meant. The first scene in the trailer is the final showdown from Zatoichi and the Chest of gold, when Wakayama drags him around by his horse. The bridge fight scene where they bang the drums to make him unable to hear is the climax of Zatoichi's Vengeance. I'm not certain why they put scenes from different films in the Outlaw trailer. It's funny his hair is like all different lengths throughout the trailer. Outlaw is a great movie, it's my favorite Zatoichi, I love the part where they carry him on the door for what seems like miles to rescue Sensei.

waywardsage

I love the scene where the villan discovers Zatoichi as a "ghost" in his house when he comes back after "killing him."

Zatoichi's ruthless reply rules!

masterofoneinchpunch

Trailers are often done before the film is complete so often they will use basically whatever they can get their hands on (alternate footage, footage that was later removed, footage from different films :D). So many trailers from all countries have this issue. I remember watching the Mortal Kombat trailer many times and when I finally saw the film I was like where is that Shang Tsung scene. The I noticed it in Generations. Now with DVDs I see it in so many different films like The Raven (1963: Roger Corman).

Archived