Kill Zone vs Flash Point

Jeru the Damaja

In your opinion which one is better?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion which one is better?

• Kill Zone
    • Flash Point

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yi-Long

I prefer Sha Po Lang, because I cared more about the story and characters. Also, I've enjoyed rewatching it.

OpiumKungFuCracker

SPL aka Killzone is a better film overall but I prefer the fight scenes in Flashpoint and as for rewatch value I would go with SPL because Flashpoint takes so damn long and drags and drags until the last 40 mins of the film which I don't have the patience for...

oneskyforall

Flashpoint because.....

*little spoiler*

Donnie picks that gangster up and slams him down neck first into the handrail outside the court RIGHT AFTER he gets set free.

Killzone is awesome too though, I have watched them both 3 times now and I prefer Flashpoint a tiny bit more.

TibetanWhiteCrane

SPL is the better film overall, but the end fight in Flashpoint is one of the best fight ever filmed.

Though still voted for SPL.

Really hard to say as both films contain two of the best fight scenes ever made in recent years. But as films, SPL without a doubt. More depth, better developed characters, artistic, great direction, attractive cinematography/lighting etc.

Simply the very best fighting done since Enter the Dragon. Absolutely Donnie's masterpiece: I loved Sammo, loved Wu Jing - I thought the fights were awesome. To this day, still the best film I've seen. Flashpoint fights were good but the story just bored me to death.

Laura

I enjoyed the fight scenes in Flash Point. SPL is better all round, though.

I put my vote on Kill Zone. I enjoyed it way more than I did Flash Point, though it by no means is a bad movie.

Drunken Monk

I'm surprised to see people labeling the choreography in either as "the best choreography ever." Granted, I'm a huge fan of the final fight in "Flash Point" and while, style wise, it's so refreshing and enjoyable, I don't think it's nearly as good as some other films. But hey, different strokes and all that.

I actually picked "SPL" for similar reasons to everyone else. "Flash Point" has its awesome moments but is just too slow. "SPL" has a better story, a great end fight and who can forget the knife versus baton battle between Donnie Yen and Wu Jing?

I'm surprised to see people labeling the choreography in either as "the best choreography ever." Granted, I'm a huge fan of the final fight in "Flash Point" and while, style wise, it's so refreshing and enjoyable, I don't think it's nearly as good as some other films. But hey, different strokes and all that.

I actually picked "SPL" for similar reasons to everyone else. "Flash Point" has its awesome moments but is just too slow. "SPL" has a better story, a great end fight and who can forget the knife versus baton battle between Donnie Yen and Wu Jing?

I was a bit surprised by all the superlatives thrown around in this thread, too. The knife fight in SPL was excellent, one of the best bits of the last decade in KF films for me. It was a shame to see Ben Lam wasted in Flash Point.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The end fight in Flashpoint had everything I want in a screen fight, so to me it's ONE of the best, not the best.

These two films do not certainly have the best fight scenes ever made because there are other MA films that set the bar for fight choreography in their time. However, if we talk about today then these two are really unique as contenders for being among the best today and put alongside the ones that brought MA films to where it is now, like TibetanWhiteCrane said.

ShaOW!linDude

I'm gonna have to go with SPL (Killzone).

Personally I think both films could've done with a little more action at the beginning and middle.

I like the end fight between Donnie and Collin Chou in FLASHPOINT. It's pretty brutal.

But SPL essentially had 2 end fights: Donnie vs Wu Jing & Donnie vs Sammo. Sold!!!

I like the story a little better, too.

One Armed Boxer

I'll go for 'SPL' as well...better story, better characters, Simon Yam, Sammo Hung...and on top of that, at the time of it's release the modern day HK actioner was pretty much a thing of the past, 'SPL' revived it and did it with style.

& yes, the Donnie Yen fight with Wu Jing directly followed by Sammo is HK cinema gold, Sammo in particular in terms of performance hasn't done anything of the same level since.

'Flash Point' has it's moments, but it was just that for me, moments. I loved the scene where Donnie picks up the brother and drops him on top of the street railing, and I thought the gun fight that precedes the one on one with Colin Chou was one of the best filmed in recent memory, very reminiscent of the 80's heroic bloodshed battles. But the final fight of 'Flash Point' for me started off good, but somewhere inbetween just seemed to turn into Chou being a human punchbag for Donnie to practice his MMA choreography on, I didn't feel the danger that I did in the 'SPL' finale.

I guess it was a case of how he was going to finish him, rather than if he was going to finish him, and that's were 'SPL' has the upper hand.

Jeru the Damaja

I am one of the few that actually voted for Flash Point. Both movies were ridiculously good, but I just liked Flash Point a little better. The tension build up when Collin Chou realizes that Louis Koo is an undercover cop is amazing. The scene where Donnie chases down the one brother, and absolutely destroys him at the outdoor restaurant is completely insane. I don't even have to mention the final fight between Donnie and Collin. That is arguably the best fight scene ever filmed, and a certified classic scene. I don't know? I just liked Flash Point a little more overall. However, I do agree that Kill Zone had better characters, and probably a little better storyline. The fights with Wu Jing and Sammo were amazing as well, but not as good as the ones in Flash Point in my opinion.

I voted for SPL. Overall, I thought it was a better movie than Flashpoint and the action was great! Sammo was terrific and quite menacing. Wu Jing was terrific and quite ruthless. Donnie was terrific and quite determined. All of their characters were extremely well done.

I don't find Flashpoint interesting, except for the action sequences. The final fight, of course, is great, but it contains a glaring error in continuity that takes me out of the action every time I watch it. However, it's a great fight and the camerawork is surprisingly good.

For me, the fights in SPL are very memorable. Also, I was surprised by the ending in that movie. :sad:

whassup, the dude thats been "badmouthing" these two flicks (flashpoint in particular) on this board on numerous occassions by now has enterted this thread :tongue:

SPL hands down. i have some minor issues with it, but this is top hk cinema period.

flashpoint is a total crapper of a movie with way too badass fighting to be put in this miserable excuse of a motion picture.

im also one of those weirdos in here (read above) that couldnt possibly rewatch it anymore (after watching it twice in full thus far). i`d go directly to the extended showdown of the movie, as the entire rest...... i`ll spare u and myself yet another round of repeat dissing :nerd:

(SPL movie: 8.5/10 action: 7/10 vs FLASHPOINT movie: 2/10 action: 9/10)

The only thing that bothers me about SPL is how ridiculously obvious it is that Sammo was doubled for almost the entire finale. Yes, I know, he's old and fat, but still it bothers me.

Archived