Intro to Channel 5 Saturday Drive-In Movie

daisho2004

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What region and time of day was that from? It doesn't seem familiar. I used to watch every Saturday on channel 5 at 3pm. This was in Jamestown NY. I do recall, however, seeing Boxer Rebellion on a school night.

daisho2004

@razorclam: Bro I live in Staten Island, NY, and that was the intro every Saturday at 3pm on channel 5 Drive-In movie. When they use to show all the SB movies.

My memory is just bad on the intro. I used to be so mad when they showed modern day Kung Fu movies. Lol. I just wanted to see knottops and pigtails with cool weapons.

I grew up wayyyyy upstate, but cable finally came through our area in the early 80s, and we then got a lot of the NYC stations, including that one. Yep, 3pm on Saturday, and I remember that intro. I still remember Executioners from Shaolin was the first Shaw movie I had ever seen, and I was just dumbfounded by the amount of fighting and the length of the fight scenes---and I was hooked for life. :bigsmile:

One of my friends really got into them too, and he had an afternoon paper route, and often his customers would be mad because on Saturday their paper got delivered late. :wink:

daisho2004

I honestly don't remember what my 1st. SB movie was, that I watched. I would have to go with maybe Master Killer aka 36th. Chamber or the 5 Deadly Venom's.

great flashback! I knew exactly what I was doing at 3pm on Saturdays - channel 5 . I was so disappointed when the occasional Hammer film would appear instead of a classic kung fu movie. Who remembers Billy Chong in Super Power?

Looking back though, the Hammer films were cool, too!

Black.Dragon

Great post , New York chanel 5, I still have a VHS recording of Stroke of Death with that intro and comercials included. USA network also a cool intro for their Black Belt theater, A spining Yin Yang sign with random kung fu flicks flashing in the center . They also had a fortune cookie crack open at each comercial break with different Chinese proverbs . I have too many movies lol.

daisho2004
Who remembers Billy Chong in Super Power?

@irongut: I think I have that movie in my collection I have a few Billy Chong movies, to me his movies were kinda of a rip of some Jackie Chan movies. But I still liked his movies.

USA network also a cool intro for their Black Belt theater, A spining Yin Yang sign with random kung fu flicks flashing in the center . They also had a fortune cookie crack open at each comercial break with different Chinese proverbs .

@Black Dragon: Damn I never seen that intro it must've been cool.

51AK8M628BL.jpg

shaolinkng7
Damn I never seen that intro it must've been cool.

USA Network's weekly martial arts movie was called "Kung Fu Theater". The opening has been posted on Youtube many times.

daisho2004

@shaolinkng7: I honestly don't remember "Kung Fu Theater"on USA Network! I must've been on Mars! :tongue:

Black.Dragon

I stand corrected Kung Fu theater was on USA . Black Belt theater was on a diffrent network thanks

Archived