Rick Thomas - old school dubber

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteor

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Rik_Thomas

Probably best know for Snake in Five Venoms, Jimmy Wang Yu in Return of The Chinese Boxer, and more recently the regular voice over for Fung Hark On, Bill Tung and Galvatron.

And has a really irritating voice too!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Omni Dragon

Great find did you see this as well http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Omni_Productions

It say's "Omni Productions is a Hong Kong-based company responsible for the hilariously bad English-language dubs of the Japanese Generation 1 animated series: The Headmasters, Super-God Masterforce, and Victory. Founded by Rik Thomas, the studio's other work includes the '70s and Heisei era Godzilla movies, '70s through mid-'80s Shaw Brothers films, Jackie Chan's Police Story, Riki-Oh: Story of Ricky, and Dragonball: The Magic Begins."

Seems Omni Productions did many of the dubs I wonder if Ted Thomas was part of the Omni Productions team.

yRxp_CD0LHQ

Killer Meteor
I recognise that voice. As dubbers go he's not that bad.

Ted Thomas has a rather nice voice, even though it sounds like English, Russian and German bumped into each other.

Rick Thomas sounds like he's pinching his nose whilst being castrated.

I'm sure the 'Star TV' dubs of the Japanese Transformers series such as Headmasters were mentioned here years ago, on the Shaws board, and I had seen the old Transformers dubs a long time before that. I checked them again at the time, and I'm sure at least one of the voices was recognisable as the voice actor who did Chow Yun Fat's english dubbed voice for at least one of the John Woo films, maybe Once a Thief. The same voice actor did some kung fu dubs, his voice is very recognisable- he may even be mentioned here already (I think he could have done Galvatron's voice). In the link posted above to the TFwiki, if you click on the 'dicussion' tab, there is more information there. Thanks for that.

Chinatown Kid

Ted Thomas always sounded like he had a potatoe or something stuck in his throat to me like he needed to clear it, Rick Thomas voice sounds like a sissy. I like how Bruce refers to people like Wong Jack Man as "bullshit" artists.....lol

Rick Tomas very distinctive voice could be heard for many years in Hong Kong cinemas warning audiences they could be fined for smoking inside the theatre. A lot of people ignored him.

Rick Thomas might sound like a sissy, but the bloke is hardcore, he is ex SBS, he even had a go at Bruce Lee during Way of the Dragon casting, hence he is not in the film, the only film I saw him in (too busy dubbing) was "My darling goddess" he plays the Brit Police Captain, Rick and his Wife wrote most of the scripts for the movies he dubbed, he is the dubbing director and he normally casts the films, I made him use that Billy Chong / Bruce Li voice for death cage he told me he had retired but I insisted on it,

Rick lives in a wicked house on an private island you can only get to it by speedboat, you can see the Shaw Brothers from his Balcony.

That's the first time I've ever heard Bruce Lee swear!

That was a conversation with Dan Lee from 1972. I have the full conversation, where he talks about Joe Frazier, Thai Boxing the lot. Awesome stuff.

Guest Markgway
I made him use that Billy Chong / Bruce Li voice for death cage he told me he had retired but I insisted on it

Were there two seperate English dubs for Death Cage?

I remember from when I was a kid that the voices heard in the trailer were not the same as those heard on the Imperial VHS (as Bloodfight 2) - and the script was altered too.

Couldn't find any clips online to illustrate my point.

Reel Power Stunts

I remember from when I was a kid that the voices heard in the trailer were not the same as those heard on the Imperial VHS (as Bloodfight 2) - and the script was altered too.

I remember that in the trailer someone (Steve T I think) says "I'm gonna turn you into burger!" and in the film "I''m gonna turn you into goulash!". Perhaps it was the other way around.

I have the trailer on VHS somewhere. I just assumed the trailer was specially dubbed before the film dub was finished - ;probably for a film market. I remember it was a longer trailer, as sales ones often are...

I think they dubbed the trailer live, they often do that, (Daiei even use stuff that is only for the trailer I think they use alternate takes) so it had different dialogue, I remember Steve complaining about that burger line,

the madest thing that happened in post was when John Ladalski upset Rober Tai in the editing room so Tai took out a 2 min fight with Ladalski i remember he just cut the thing and spooled it off in to the edit bin.

Guest Markgway
I remember that in the trailer someone (Steve T I think) says "I'm gonna turn you into burger!" and in the film "I''m gonna turn you into goulash!". Perhaps it was the other way around.

No, I think you've got it the right way round.

Someone should upload the trailer to Youtube so we can be sure. :tongue:

Reel Power Stunts

Someone should upload the trailer to Youtube so we can be sure. :tongue:

_2AyymMuJpY

Uploaded! Took me a while to find the right aged VHS...

Archived