The Chou clown in Kung fu films?

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

I was reading this article about the chou clown in peking opera, a character of no martial arts skill that is a foil to the lead character who always wears a painted white patch on their nose. It got me thinking about the overly goofy characters in kung fu movies who wear patches on their faces. It seems logical that these are both interpretations of a Chou clown. However I was unable to find any info regarding the use of Chou clowns in films. Does anyone have any info on this? Or know if the goofy characters in films are derived directly from this practice in operas?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not so much the characters themselves the make is out of place in the movies expect in mad films like Shaolin chastity kung fu when that massive guy had clown make up on , but the moves they use in the movies come form clown moves, yuen biao, meng yuen man, chen hui lau were all top clowns

the inn keeper is considered Chou (clown)the other guy is Wu Sheng (martial role)

odioustrident

So are Jackie's breakout roles somewhat chou clown based? At least in terms of choreography?

Comedic foils with the only acrobatic skill in the movie are definitely seen in some bashers.

BlackLamaFaction
not so much the characters themselves the make is out of place in the movies expect in mad films like Shaolin chastity kung fu when that massive guy had clown make up on , but the moves they use in the movies come form clown moves, yuen biao, meng yuen man, chen hui lau were all top clowns

the inn keeper is considered Chou (clown)the other guy is Wu Sheng (martial role)

I see. I always wondered about the meaning behind that particular make up. Thank you for the clarification between chou and wu sheng. Like you mentioned, the make up in the films was quite different, not painted on the nose, it was more placed on or around the face like a bandaid or maybe a shaving mishap. So there are clearly differences between the link you showed and what I assumed. Thanks for the info, I'm very interested in the origin's of these practices and customs in traditional theater/opera and how they were later incorporated into the films.

Archived