Animeigo announces the ‘Lone Wolf and Cub’ set on Blu-ray

mpm74

Thanks for trying. :wink:

Do you know what paimeifist meant when he said "That sounds so idiotic, artificial grain on a bd release?" ?

Well he said there is a thick coating of grain added on the movies, but I think he's mocking the fact that they're trying to market this as if it's remastered, or at least good quality.. why even make it a blu ray set.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Well he said there is a thick coating of grain added on the movies, but I think he's mocking the fact that they're trying to market this as if it's remastered, or at least good quality.. why even make it a blu ray set.

Ah-ha. Thanks.

Yeah, it's a shame it's not getting treated like BEN-HUR on Blu-ray. It deserves it!

Luckily $53 really isn't bad for the UK DVDs.. But are the releases good enough to warrant $53? Are they remastered? Dragon Dynasty releases 4 beautiful celestial Shaws for $12, although they have no special features.

I'm really looking forward to seeing these flicks, so I'll probably spend the money anyway.

Luckily $53 really isn't bad for the UK DVDs.. But are the releases good enough to warrant $53? Are they remastered?

I believe they are, yes.

Some think the prints are a little dark but I've watched the set many times and it's way better than most versions.

The only other English friendly set out there is the AnimEigo set but that's out of print now, and will cost you a pretty penny.

It might be worth looking for the individual AnimEigo DVDs second hand on eBay. (Amazon prices are crazy high).

If you can get them cheap, grab them. Otherwise, get the UK set.

• Administrator

My extreme case of collectoritus wouldn't allow me to part with the Animeigo DVDs even after I was gifted the Animeigo Blu-ray set. So glad now! :nerd:

In fact, someone here on the forum either sold or traded their DVDs to me (can't recall which) for a great deal when the BDs came out, and I gave these extra copies to my son so he'd have the film series. :wink:

My extreme case of collectoritus wouldn't allow me to part with the Animeigo DVDs even after I was gifted the Animeigo Blu-ray set. So glad now! :nerd:

In fact, someone here on the forum either sold or traded their DVDs to me (can't recall which) for a great deal when the BDs came out, and I gave these extra copies to my son so he'd have the film series. :wink:

I've got the Thai box set, because it was indistinguishable from the R1 set (Thai notwithstanding) and a lot cheaper than the R1 set at the time, and then I tripped over the R1 box for a good price and well...why not? And then I picked up the blu set on sale or maybe used somewhere. I try not to double dip (not counting the Blu "upgrade"), but for esoteric material like the Lone Wolf/Baby Cart movies (and they are; grab 10 random people of the street and probably all ten wouldn't be able to give you a basic synopsis of the series (Samurai and infant son, hellbent for vengeance) I consider a certain amount of redundancy good practice.

• Administrator
I've got the Thai box set, because it was indistinguishable from the R1 set (Thai notwithstanding) and a lot cheaper than the R1 set at the time, and then I tripped over the R1 box for a good price and well...why not? And then I picked up the blu set on sale or maybe used somewhere. I try not to double dip (not counting the Blu "upgrade"), but for esoteric material like the Lone Wolf/Baby Cart movies (and they are; grab 10 random people of the street and probably all ten wouldn't be able to give you a basic synopsis of the series (Samurai and infant son, hellbent for vengeance) I consider a certain amount of redundancy good practice.

It's good to know that there are more people out there than me and a handful of close friends that do the double-dip. I try to be reasonable about it, but I did buy the Dragon Dynasty releases of things I already had from IVL/Celestial as I wanted to support US companies releasing Asian cinema titles. I've actually held off on buying a lot of newer titles from overseas, as Well Go USA has been releasing a lot of the stuff I want.

I agree that LW&C is worthy of multiple editions in the search for the perfect one.

As far as what you said about people not knowing the films... Just yesterday a new friend- a guy that lived in Japan from I think 1984 to 1989, and seems extremely knowledgeable about Asian cinema based on his comments- said that he had finally found a movie he had seen a clip of long ago... SHOGUN ASSASSIN! He had no idea about the manga, 6 theatrical movies, nor the TV series and films. You better believe I recommended he see them straight away!

Just a heads up for anyone who might be thinking about purchasing the UK Eureka box set - it appears it's just gone out of print.

On Amazon.co.uk, the price has almost tripled overnight from £19/$28 to £50/$75!

Kozure Hakujin
Just a heads up for anyone who might be thinking about purchasing the UK Eureka box set - it appears it's just gone out of print.

On Amazon.co.uk, the price has almost tripled overnight from £19/$28 to £50/$75!

I was just going to share that tidbit of info. It looks as if I got the last copy for £19 from a marketplace seller.

Prices have gone down a little since the price spike and a few sellers are offering it at £30. Wondering how much longer that'll last...

Just got a hold of the recent Australian “ultimate collection” DVD set (region 4):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lone-Wolf-Cub-Ultimate-Collection-Aus-Pal4-Lone-Wolf-C-CD-/301654380868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463c009144

As cheap as the UK Eureka set (roughly – and you may find it cheaper than the seller shown above), and arguably better: the PQ is sharper, and the subtitles are the full AnimEigo ones, with on-screen explanations of terms, and liner notes.

Easily the best, subtitled option out there. Highly recommended.

And now I’m off back to walk the crossroads to Hell!

Archived