Animeigo announces the ‘Lone Wolf and Cub’ set on Blu-ray

mpm74

I'm happy to wait for a nice French or Japanese disc.

Wild Side has had this on their BD release schedule for a few years now. Always gets delayed. Last checked their site a few weeks ago and it said "Spring 2013", but I wouldn't be too sure. At least they are taking their time with the set.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wild Side has had this on their BD release schedule for a few years now. Always gets delayed. Last checked their site a few weeks ago and it said "Spring 2013", but I wouldn't be too sure. At least they are taking their time with the set.

Gentlemen, I am changing my pants as we speak. :nerd:

That's actually wonderful news. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm watching the first film right now, and so far so excellent. Sound and video quality are great. I'm glad I picked up this set. :bigsmile:

Jeffrey Kaufman of Bluray.com would agree:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lone-Wolf-and-Cub-Blu-ray/49564/#Review

Lone Wolf and Cub Complete is presented on Blu-ray courtesy of AnimEigo with AVC encoded 1080p transfers in 2.35:1. Some rabid fans of this series are going to be reciting that old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," as the Shogun Assassin transfers, while occasionally problematic, generally looked pretty darned good, with a minimum of digital tweaking and good color and clarity. AnimEigo was evidently concerned with some of the visual noise and damage that were still apparent in the elements and evidently went back to the DNR drawing board with this new Lone Wolf and Cub set. There's been a lot of hand wringing over this decision, and while I'm the first to admit I am not as troubled down to the depths of my very soul about DNR as many videophiles seem to be (something that has repeatedly raised the ire of some reading my reviews, I might add), I have to say what really strikes me about these new transfers is how dark they are in comparison to the Shogun Assassin outings. This could be due to either new color grading or contrast tweaking (I personally suspect the latter), but for me, anyway, that difference was much more noticeable than the additional DNR. Despite the DNR, the image still retains a fair amount of fine object detail, and I frankly failed to see an overly waxy, smeary image in any consistent way throughout the six films. There's DNR, don't get me wrong, but there's also fine grain still easily visible, especially in the outdoor scenes with bright skies (see the screencap of Itto walking toward the sunset for a good example, an example which also includes some obvious ringing, by the way). The darker appearance of these transfers does mean that some fine object detail is now somewhat masked and shadow detail becomes a bit more problematic. Many who have an almost genetic abhorrence of DNR will no doubt be more fixated on that aspect of these transfers, but my initial response, which I freely admit is not as vehement as most who hate DNR, is that while these are far from optimal, they're not the complete botch job some are insisting they are.

Ian Jane would vomit:

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?2582-Lone-Wolf-And-Cub-%E2%80%93-Complete-6-Film-Blu-ray-Collection

A quick look at the screen caps accompanying this review shows that there’s some very serious noise reduction going on here and that with that noise reduction has come a pretty substantial loss in detail and texture. Colors look nice and black levels are fine but skin looks waxy and smeary, and more often than not no one really seems to have any pores. The image is generally pretty clean in terms of print damage and debris, but man oh man, somebody scrubbed this one hard - and just so it's perfectly clear, nothing has been done to the screen caps here save for some minor jpeg compression.

There's also a thread (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1421014/lone-wolf-and-cub-complete) where it is observed:

The Shogun Assassin BD was also billed as a reconstruction, from "our pristine masters of the original two Lone Wolf and Cub films." So either their pristine masters were somehow not available for the Lone Wolf set, or the masters previously described as "pristine" are actually ancient analog masters that they've DNRed for this release.

So, they set a relatively high bar and then lowered it while some of us weren't looking.

Well, some of it is. There's pros and cons, and for you the pros outweigh the cons. Me, the DVDs were rad in 2004, they hold up well, I'm happy to wait for a nice French or Japanese disc.

I'm a professional working in the industry and I have looked at these discs. While I haven't examined every frame with a magnifying glass I can assure you they look far better than the DVD. All you need to do is set both the DVD/Blu playing on two different players and A-B the input on your TV. The difference is striking/obvious. The Blu has ACTUAL blacks. DVD looks washed out and grey. While we can moan about the lack of detail, these are old 70's films. A lot of these just weren't shot on the best stocks and preserved very well.

I don't think the drawbacks should hold people off from purchase. After hearing all the complaining I expected a disaster, but due to sale, I took a chance. The actual blu rays look great.

Also, people put a lot of stock into compressed Jpeg screen captures on the web. Video is a motion format. So judging quality of a motion image from a still taken from a computer/TV is ridiculous. There are tons of wonderfully restored films that would look terrible if you took a screen capture from them.

The only thing with AnimEigo that I cannot stand is that they colorized the subtitles and they change every time someone is talking. There was no need for that.

FYI - AnimEigo no longer has the rights to the Lone Wolf and Cub films, so the blu-ray set and their DVDs are now out of print.

Another US company is looking at picking up the rights, but nothing official yet.

Really wonder what's going on AnimEigo. Pretty shocked they would let go of their most popular property that they have EVER had.

The only thing with AnimEigo that I cannot stand is that they colorized the subtitles and they change every time someone is talking. There was no need for that.

Really? I think its cool and unique. Never bothered me at all.

So, I think film #5, "Baby Cart in the Land of Demons", might be my favorite. I love how the movie opens up, and how there's a lot of swordplay in the first half. This one kept me on my toes like none of the other films in the series did. Great stuff.

@jalvarez82: I honestly think it distracts you from the movie! I truly hate that they did that with the subtitles. And I watch a lot of movies with subtitles.

I'm a professional working in the industry and I have looked at these discs. While I haven't examined every frame with a magnifying glass I can assure you they look far better than the DVD. All you need to do is set both the DVD/Blu playing on two different players and A-B the input on your TV. The difference is striking/obvious. The Blu has ACTUAL blacks. DVD looks washed out and grey. While we can moan about the lack of detail, these are old 70's films. A lot of these just weren't shot on the best stocks and preserved very well.

I don't think the drawbacks should hold people off from purchase. After hearing all the complaining I expected a disaster, but due to sale, I took a chance. The actual blu rays look great.

Also, people put a lot of stock into compressed Jpeg screen captures on the web. Video is a motion format. So judging quality of a motion image from a still taken from a computer/TV is ridiculous. There are tons of wonderfully restored films that would look terrible if you took a screen capture from them.

Hey sage,

I remember the last time you assured me I would like something; it was the first Sleepy Eyes of the Death Animeigo put out. You gave the thumbs up, I bought it, and I had to disagree. I like the Japanese discs better, and I'm beginning to see a pattern; I don't like it when Animeigo "remasters" Japanese stuff. Moreover, we have really different tastes in image quality, and that's to say nothing of decorum. It's okay if you disagree, but an argument from authority is embarrassing.

I've got your back on this one, though.

Is this still available? I think I remember KFBob telling me to hold off on this as a better version will be coming down the pike? Anyways I never owned these movies and it's about time I do, I actually rented all these movies a couple times when I lived by a kickass little video rental store - videodrome, in Atlanta years back.

I watched Shoguns Assassin for the first time just recently, and am very eager to see this series.. With that said, I am holding off for a reasonably priced release to come out.

Many things I refuse to watch on a computer, and this is one of them.

There is a chance a new BD/DVD set could appear from a US company, but it's all rumor at this point.

As of right now, it looks like the only English friendly version that isn't going for silly money is the Eureka UK DVD box set (so please make sure you can play region 2 DVDs):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002MPTIYK/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Note you'll have to buy from either Movie-Mars USA or Zoverstocks as they are the only sellers offering international shipping

All in, a set should cost you around $53 in total, inc. shipping to the States.

NOTE: The new German BD set mentioned above appears to have had no DNR done to the films at all, which immediately makes it a big improvement over the now OOP AnimEigo set. Such a shame it doesn't have English subs.

• Administrator

NOTE: The new German BD set mentioned above appears to have had no DNR done to the films at all, which immediately makes it a big improvement over the now OOP AnimEigo set. Such a shame it doesn't have English subs.

Ugh. These films are kind of getting the same BS treatment as DRUNKEN MASTER II... there's always something wrong with each version. :squigglemouth: Great subs, but too much DNR. No DNR, no subs. I heard the Eureka ones look dark and shoddy. Though they aren't perfect, I'm still very happy with my Animeigo Blu-rays (which in fairness, are much, much better than the US release of DM2), and I'm so glad I have them. They go for mad prices now!

But I am hopeful for a "perfect" release of these in the near future...

There is a chance a new BD/DVD set could appear from a US company, but it's all rumor at this point.

As of right now, it looks like the only English friendly version that isn't going for silly money is the Eureka UK DVD box set (so please make sure you can play region 2 DVDs):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002MPTIYK/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Note you'll have to buy from either Movie-Mars USA or Zoverstocks as they are the only sellers offering international shipping

All in, a set should cost you around $53 in total, inc. shipping to the States.

Thanks a lot Karlos. That price sounds fine for 6 great movies!

My copy of the German BD set arrived today and...it's terrible.

The reason is clear: all 6 films have had a thick coating of artificial grain added, rendering them near unwatchable.

Even worse than the AnimEIgo set, which I didn't think possible.

To add insult to injury, the set proudly states the prints are taken from new masters.

Ah well, I'll chalk it up to experience.

Needless to say, if anyone on here was thinking of grabbing this set - don't!

That sounds so idiotic, artificial grain on a bd release?

So the UK set is still the way to go than.

Yes, definately, I'd say.

• Administrator
My copy of the German BD set arrived today and...it's terrible.

The reason is clear: all 6 films have had a thick coating of artificial grain added, rendering them near unwatchable.

Even worse than the AnimEIgo set, which I didn't think possible.

To add insult to injury, the set proudly states the prints are taken from new masters.

Ah well, I'll chalk it up to experience.

Needless to say, if anyone on here was thinking of grabbing this set - don't!

Sad news. :sad: Also sorry to hear that you wasted your hard-earned cash to bring us this news. :squigglemouth:

That sounds so idiotic, artificial grain on a bd release?

What? Where did you hear that? :ooh: It almost seems like you're quoting something you read from this thread, but I don't see from where...

Sad news. :sad: Also sorry to hear that you wasted your hard-earned cash to bring us this news. :squigglemouth:

Taking one for the team, brother. :tongue:

Such a shame the set sucked, though. Had high hopes.

Ah well!

• Administrator
Taking one for the team, brother. :tongue:

Such a shame the set sucked, though. Had high hopes.

Ah well!

Thanks for trying. :wink:

Do you know what paimeifist meant when he said "That sounds so idiotic, artificial grain on a bd release?" ?

Archived