Animeigo announces the ‘Lone Wolf and Cub’ set on Blu-ray

mpm74

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) is a technique that essentially removes detail from an image. Sometimes it can be put to good use in removing really excessive film grain or video noise, but if you compare the shots, this isn't really necessary with LWaC, and moreover and most importantly, there is an appreciable loss of fine detail that makes human skin look 'waxy' and altogether defeats the purpose of higher resolution.

i own the blu-ray set of lw&c and its looks really good ...Looks better then the shogun assassin blu-ray set

i posted photos on facebook

here

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.399207033480593&type=1

the photos are taken with a iphone so you will not get the full pq

i have a 55" tv also

i feel the set looks really good

as for the 2 disc 6 film thing you can put 9 hours of hd 1080p film on to one 50 gig blu-ray disc.......

Gone with the wind blu-ray is on one disc and its 233 mins long with 5 diff audio soundtracks and lots of extras still has 5 gigs left on the blu-ray disc

each of the lone wolf discs have 253 1/2 mins

I keep seeing, and passing up, the 'Shogun Assassin' bluray set when I go bluray shopping at Fry's, Bestbuy, or wherever. I bought the first Shogun Assassin on bluray immediately, but I just can't bring myself to buy the whole set with the rest of the sequels. I don't like how (or know why) the other 4 sequels are all on one disc (disc 2).

Why'd they do that? :squigglemouth:

Oh well. I think I'll go ahead and look for the LW&C set insted.

i own the blu-ray set of lw&c and its looks really good ...Looks better then the shogun assassin blu-ray set

i posted photos on facebook

here

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.399207033480593&type=1

the photos are taken with a iphone so you will not get the full pq

i have a 55" tv also

i feel the set looks really good

as for the 2 disc 6 film thing you can put 9 hours of hd 1080p film on to one 50 gig blu-ray disc.......

Gone with the wind blu-ray is on one disc and its 233 mins long with 5 diff audio soundtracks and lots of extras still has 5 gigs left on the blu-ray disc

each of the lone wolf discs have 253 1/2 mins

I'm not sure about Gone with the Wind, but titles like The Godfather are considerably shorter at ~177mins, and yet the feature alone is about 44.7GB. There can be considerable fluctuation in terms of compression vs. quality, but that is really neither here nor there because the LWaC set does not have what one could call even middling presentation for a high definition disc; in fact, none of what you've written is particularly convincing to anyone who wouldn't just buy the set anyway. Those of us that do mind if there are shenanigans afoot have been burnt more than once by anecdotes, so we only trust evidence like the screencaps linked earlier in the thread.

I'm not sure about Gone with the Wind, but titles like The Godfather are considerably shorter at ~177mins, and yet the feature alone is about 44.7GB. There can be considerable fluctuation in terms of compression vs. quality, but that is really neither here nor there because the LWaC set does not have what one could call even middling presentation for a high definition disc; in fact, none of what you've written is particularly convincing to anyone who wouldn't just buy the set anyway. Those of us that do mind if there are shenanigans afoot have been burnt more than once by anecdotes, so we only trust evidence like the screencaps linked earlier in the thread.

I hear you...I got the set on blu-ray..for me i love it and looks good... way better then the dvd copy...no more blurry faces and no more pixalation on faster moving scenes. its a step up over dvd is all i can say and that's good enough for me to get the set. i think you really cant go fully by reviews and screen caps any way ...you can only truly judge when you view the movie in person ...maybe a trailer could help as well if you play that on your big screen

I hear you...I got the set on blu-ray..for me i love it and looks good... way better then the dvd copy...no more blurry faces and no more pixalation on faster moving scenes. its a step up over dvd is all i can say and that's good enough for me to get the set. i think you really cant go fully by reviews and screen caps any way ...you can only truly judge when you view the movie in person ...maybe a trailer could help as well if you play that on your big screen

On the contrary, I have viewed the images on my display; even if it's a lossy JPEG, it won't suddenly look HD in PNG. It's plain to see, especially in comparison to the earlier transfer, that there has been a loss of resolution. I also don't grasp what you mean by not being able to "fully" go by reviews; I've never been rudely awakened upon receipt of an item I read a *proper* review of; as a matter of fact, thorough, thoughtful reviewing has lead me to a wide variety of buried treasure I would never have learnt of otherwise (my lovely German Eastern Condors and Prodigal Son DVDs and the Taiwanese One-Armed Swordsman Blu-rays, to name a few).

On the contrary, I have viewed the images on my display; even if it's a lossy JPEG, it won't suddenly look HD in PNG. It's plain to see, especially in comparison to the earlier transfer, that there has been a loss of resolution. I also don't grasp what you mean by not being able to "fully" go by reviews; I've never been rudely awakened upon receipt of an item I read a *proper* review of; as a matter of fact, thorough, thoughtful reviewing has lead me to a wide variety of buried treasure I would never have learnt of otherwise (my lovely German Eastern Condors and Prodigal Son DVDs and the Taiwanese One-Armed Swordsman Blu-rays, to name a few).

I am saying by the reviews remark that you cant really go/ also ways go by some ones word on how it really looks in pq as every one is different when it comes to what is good pq and what equipment they are seeing it on.

and the stills i have seen from the links here don't look as good as when i viewed the film my self. as in pq. every thing seems sharp ..every pore in a face is visible on close ups. the stills here from the links posted seem to be more faded looking or maybe its because i am viewing the film on a led tv lol. and that brings me back to my point ..it will be different for every one as every one who views the film will have a diff set up. for me the blu-ray set seems great and if i had to choose blu-ray or dvd it would be blu-ray as its alot better in quality.

i would love to hear others who have the film on blu-ray to see what they think ...so far its only like 3 people who have the box set and not any one here on the site.

and i agree with what you said about good reviews on the film it self. thats how i first started buying all my kung fu movies.. by what others have said....but that was about the film it self not what it looks like.

re looked at the caps from the site posted

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...ll=1#post37630

they are saved at a low quality to save space on his site

the file size is equal to 3 times the number of pixels. This is because each pixel requires 3 bytes: one for the red component of the image, on for the blue component of the image, and one for the green component of the image.

1920 x 1080 x 3 = 6,220,880 bytes

it takes 1048576 bytes to = 1 megabyte

so a photo at 1920 x 1080 file size would be 5.7mb

jpeg compression set to 12 the highest quality to save on photoshop would take it down to 1.2mb

due to compression

his screen cap at 1920 x 1080 file size 268 kilobits

lwc1-1.jpg

mine....1920 x 1080 file size 1.15 megabytes saved at 12 quality on photoshop

Lone-Wolf-and-Cub-121.jpg

mine was taking with a iphone making the quality even less ...the guy with other screen caps used his computer's bd drive

his set up computer blu-ray drive

mine 55" Samsung led and PlayStation 3

be on all screen caps so what u see in photos is not the true pq quality you will see on your tv as it will be better

also wanted to note the reviewer in the link above reviewed the film on his computer...he said something like no one seems to have pores ...u can see pores in my photo ...also motion blur will make the photos look more smooth eliminating the sharpness so he must of been looking at the photos it self when making that remark ...as i see pores on faces on every close up when the movie is not paused to take a photo ....alot of times when the movie is paused u cant see pores but when playing you can see them

Just a sidenote: the compression makes very little difference to sharpness at these sizes. Below is just a quick example with Resurrection of the Golden Wolf BD

Loseless png screencapture (2400 kb)

jpgcomp2.png

jpg compressed to 1/10 size (220 kb)

jpgcomp1.jpg

you can tell with your photos as the bottom one appears brighter that is the noise becoming more sharp taking away detail to the photo

the guy in fron ts forehead becomes 2 tone due to color noise

do it with a photo with less noise to start with

you will notice

the pores on the face become less definable

the photo gets smother less sharp

a hd trailer would be the best way to view pq of a film as you don't need to worry about motion blur... its to bad animeigo didn't do one for it

also wanted to note that when taking screen caps with a blu-ray drive from your computer will only show the pq of when you are playing the film from your computer ...to get better screen caps you need a blu-ray drive thats hooked to the tv to get the pq of what the tv is outputing ....does any one know of a blu-ray player that does this

Actually trailer wouldn't help at all. It's a different source than the movie.

Yes, there is a slight difference between the compressed cap and the png. But what I was referring to was the huge difference in DNR between the Shogun Assassin caps and the Lone Wolf caps. Wasn't that the whole point, and not some minimal loss of sharpness or compression quality caused by screencapture format?

It is true, though, that screencaptures do not show the whole truth as the transfer may look better or worse in motion. However, if we are to make an image comparison, it's the only way. I don't mean by any offence, but your cellphone camera picture doesn't provide any indication of the image quality because it's affected by your BD player settings, TV settings, and camera settings. If you adjusted them enough, the image would be black & white. The computer BD drive screencaptures, on the other hand, present the source as it really is (as far as still images go).

And for the computer / laptop screen issue, you just connect laptop to your TV and you'll see how it looks like on your TV.

Actually trailer wouldn't help at all. It's a different source than the movie.

Yes, there is a slight difference between the compressed cap and the png. But what I was referring to was the huge difference in DNR between the Shogun Assassin caps and the Lone Wolf caps. Wasn't that the whole point, and not some minimal loss of sharpness or compression quality caused by screencapture format?

It is true, though, that screencaptures do not show the whole truth as the transfer may look better or worse in motion. However, if we are to make an image comparison, it's the only way. I don't mean by any offence, but your cellphone camera picture doesn't provide any indication of the image quality because it's affected by your BD player settings, TV settings, and camera settings. If you adjusted them enough, the image would be black & white. The computer BD drive screencaptures, on the other hand, present the source as it really is (as far as still images go).

And for the computer / laptop screen issue, you just connect laptop to your TV and you'll see how it looks like on your TV.

Ur right about the caps and viewing it from lab top to tv but that's not helping the person on the other end looking at the caps. Most of the hate for the ow of the film is to much dnr. Is making the movie to smooth less sharpness less details. Bit that caps make it look like that. But when views on a tv all that isn't there. My cell phone photo of my tv should not look better in quality then a screen shot But ur right about the DVD settings and tv settings. But taking a cell shot shouldn't look better. Tge phone does make the screen shot look more red though. I am just addressing what what other are saying who haven't seen the movie in person. And just going by screen shots that are faded and smother looking then it would be on a hd tv. I'm not trying to sell the set by the way. I just dont see what others are saying about the film when I view it on my 55" sorry for misspells I'm on my phone haha

It's hard to see what u type on the iPhone as the keyboard is in the way

Ugh. Way too much DNR. Never bought the DVDs, was waiting for blu-ray, now I guess I will continue to wait or pick up the DVDs at some point. So disappointing.

i am giving away my dvd set soon at my site

http://www.soreelflix.com/

after i give away this

http://www.soreelflix.com/2012/08/soreelflix-give-away/

either way blu-ray or dvd the movie is a must own

DeepDiscountDVD.com has LW&C listed @ $38.69 that's the cheapest anyone has it for. I'll be ordering mine.

post a review

when u get to view it

I hope Eureka does a Blu. I seem to recall their dvds looking better then the Animego ones.

They're worse:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/15406/picture:0

The Eureka image seems to come from a similar master, but messes with colour timing and contrast, unduly swallowing darker areas into shadows and overall altering the image in a way that is neither necessary nor beneficial.

Archived