One Armed boxer non Anamorphic?

waywardsage

waywardsage

I found a copy of One armed boxer used in a local video shop. It doesn't say it's anamorphic. It just says 2.35:1. It seems to be the edition put out by Red Sun. Does anyone have this edition?

http://www.amazon.com/One-Armed-Boxer-Jimmy-Wang/dp/B000MV8APE/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1336795531&sr=1-1

How is the quality? Is it worth buying? Is it anamorphic?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a copy of the old Japanese (Megastar I think) release. Non anamorphic. I wouldn't touch it, because it's Redsun. Since it's a used copy though, I guess you're not actually paying them for it.

There are better editions out there, or you could always try and find someone who'll trade you a copy of it.

However, I believe the German and Japanese releases (which should be remastered, but I think they use different masters) only have dubs and don't come with subtitles.

David Rees

You do realize that One Armed Boxer is a Golden Harvest film and not Shaws?

Would love to see an uncut version, but like Big Boss this will probably never happen.

Fortune Star's (Joy Sales) VCD of One-armed Boxer is still available. It's nothing fancy, letterbox widescreen, burnt-in subs, and mono sound, but it is watchable and can be found for under $10.

I have several copies of it and this one's the best (probably a dvdr):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-ARMED-BOXER-Eng-dub-Uncut-Remastered-DVD-NEW-/251044214775?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item3a7366b7f7

It looks remastered and best of all, contains a few fleeting extra seconds of blood that I never saw in any other version. English dubbed only, unfortunately.

and what seconds should that be? Scene description please and what is supposed to be longer... i just doubt it after a dozen identically censored Prints...

Going on memory, here are a few examples. During the first tournament when one of the Chinese fighters gets his eyes poked, there's a milisecond longer shot of him hitting the floor, bloodied. Same deal as Wang Yu's teacher's death at the hands of the Japanese fighter. At the end after Wang Yu chops off the Japanese fighter's arm, you can actually see the fatal strike to the belly (with a blood squib as I recall).

Funny, it still appears censored, just less so compared to any vhs or dvd print I previously saw.

well i just wonder where this should come from... if it's ripped from an existing DVD, it's not longer by even a Frame. they all got the same censor cuts... i have FR, Ger, JP (both) and Spanish DVDs. all the same...

Spannick, you've collected more prints of it than I have. I don't know if it's more complete than the ones you mentioned to be honest. It could well be ripped from one of those, I have dealt almost exclusively with bootleg prints of this film. I would happily share some screen captures, but I'm not technically proficient enough to do so (not even close!) so please proceed with caution as I don't mean to steer you wrong. If my previous description sounds like nothing new to you, then don't bother with it.

waywardsage

So is there such thing as an anamorphic 16:9 version of one armed boxer?

Killer Meteor
So is there such thing as an anamorphic 16:9 version of one armed boxer?

Yes, the Japanese DVD...but it's badly remixed.

And there's the German dvd but it's hard to get.

Japanese Remastered DVD (horrid 5.1), German DVD (Mono), French DVD (Mono), Spanish DVD (horrid 5.1)

anamorphic OAB is more common than non-anamorphic.

Archived