Funimation Shaws? What did people think

waywardsage

waywardsage

For as much guff as people gave Funimation for their Shaw line, I personally think they did a good job. Here's why:

1. They ACTUALLY RELEASED the ones they said they would. And they did it pretty quickly.

2. I know a lot of people hated the covers, but I kinda dug them. It put a new spin on the Shaw formula. Sure the tag lines were cheesy. But you can't tell me that no Shaw movie doesn't have cheesy dialog!

3. I really liked the little bar on the back cover that had a miniature theatrical poster, year released, directed by and starring list. It would have been nice to have it bigger, but I liked that they included the info. You know how many other R1 distributors don't list the year the film was released on the back cover?!

4. The cut a video trailer for the whole release! How many other companies do that?!

It seems like if they would have sold better, Funimation would have invested more into the line. But, it seems like it tanked. Does anyone know this for sure? Has Funimation left their Shaw line for dead?

Thoughts?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
massa_yoda

I thought they did a great job. The releases were well done (good transfers and such) and they released good movies I hadn't seen before. I liked the covers too. The poster art and info on the back was a nice little bonus...you felt like these people actually cared about these movies. Too bad they couldn't do more.

Killer Meteor

Funimation just got what BCI has liscensed. Bad transfers for 14 Amazons and Shaolin Handlock aside, the releases were fine!

I like the Funimation releases, too. I like when companies have a uniform template for the artwork for their Shaw/Kung Fu releases. They look great on the shelf.

Still haven't caught up with all the ones they released (severe budgetary restraints), but from the couple that I did get, it appears job well done. Hey, they released Hing Kong Godfather and that alone did it for me. Hope they eventually release more, regardless of apparent lukewarm sales.

Because of FUNi, I'm now the happy owner of some great Shaws (really dug The Duel and thought HKG was a blast), and it's great to have nice transfers without the PAL-NTSC issues of IVL's discs (with a couple exceptions, 14 Amazons being one of them). My only real beef with these releases is that I can't skip that dumb promo on the DVD advertising their Shaw titles each time I fire up a disc. It's really unnecessary and just reeks of desperation.

Guest Markgway

I have a couple of Funimation titles in my collection.

All it takes is a progressive anamorphic transfer, decent subs, and original language mono to satisfy me.

I don't need Criterion status or 3 hours worth of extras.

Just get the film right and we're good.

Real shame about The 14 Amazons screw-up as that's one I would've liked to double dip on.

Funimation just got what BCI has liscensed. Bad transfers for 14 Amazons and Shaolin Handlock aside, the releases were fine!

Pretty much this, and they were still watchable (along the likes of the DD Fist of Legend release). I enjoyed a vast majority of what they put out.

Looks like they are going OOP, Bastard Swordsman for $35, Shaolin Rescuers for over $100 currently at Amazon.

Looks like they are going OOP, Bastard Swordsman for $35, Shaolin Rescuers for over $100 currently at Amazon.

Yeah I noticed those ludicrous prices. I've always wondered if anyone actually purchased any of those DVDs that you find listed $60 and upwards.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Luckily I got the ones I needed when they first came out, and was reasonably priced.

Seen some on eBay for way less than that. Amazon is always way overpriced.

I only ever bought 2 releases from Funimation. 14 Amazons and Hong Kong Godfather. Both were good releases from what I remember.

masterofoneinchpunch
I only ever bought 2 releases from Funimation. 14 Amazons and Hong Kong Godfather. Both were good releases from what I remember.

14 Amazons like with Shaolin Hand Lock suffers from really bad pal-to-ntsc transfer which hurt the viewing of it.

Luckily I own all the Funimation Shaw releases.

Guest Markgway

I own four of them:

1. The 14 Amazons (for mono)

2. Shaolin Hand Lock (for mono)

3. Invincible Shaolin

4. The Sword of Swords

The last two are good progressive DVDs.

I found another online retailer with a few remaining copies of Shaolin Rescuers. Still plenty of Red Sun boots on ebay and amazon:frown:

I just picked up Shaolin Rescuers not too long ago for a decent price. But, I will gladly sell mine for $5,000. No, make that $500,000. No, no, make that $5,000,000. Any takers? :tongue: Funimation were probably better than Image Entertainment as far as pq goes. But, I felt that they did not have the best titles. Though, they did try to copy Celestial`s package design somewhat. They had the tiny funimation logo in the bottom right hand corner; Celestial had theirs on the bottom left. And, on the back cover, on the left side of the box, funimation had the stripe with a mini replica of the poster art. My only real complaint on all of these releases (other than the botched remasters and remixed soundtrack and sometimes pal-ntsc issues):cry: is that the original poster art was not used as the front cover; or, as a reversible wrap-around. Got to thank BCI for giving us poster cover art and a booklet

I was able to get Bastard Swordsman I & II, Shaolin Rescuers and Soul of the Sword.

I have most of them:

The Duel

Invincible Shaolin

Soul of the Sword

Life Gamble

Shaolin Rescuers

Shaolin Prince

Bastard Swordsman

Opium and The Kung Fu Master

The Supreme Swordsman

Return of Bastard Swordsman

Hong Kong Godfather

Shaolin Hand Lock

Edited to add that Invincible Shaolin, Life Gamble, and Shaolin Prince are in the "Shaw Brothers Triple Threat" box.

All it takes is a progressive anamorphic transfer, decent subs, and original language mono to satisfy me.

I don't need Criterion status or 3 hours worth of extras.

Just get the film right and we're good.

This is the way I am, too. I'm not picky, other than language, and subs.

I stopped by FYE on the way home from work last night, and they have a new copy of Shaolin Rescuers for 13.99.

venomchamber

You can still find authentic Funimation releases on ebaY between $15.99 and $19.99 each, gohastings has more than 10 copies (only 2 sold) of R1 Bastard Swordsman (w/ English dub option) available for US$18.52

TibetanWhiteCrane

Weren't the Funimation Bastard Swordsman releases cut and had completely changed soundtrack?

Weren't the Funimation Bastard Swordsman releases cut and had completely changed soundtrack?

There was some gripe about the releases having a new dub and newly recorded music for the dub, but not the original soundtrack. I haven't heard a thing about it being cut.

Earlier thread: http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12832

it's more likely they didn't have a clean music track to master from for the dub, as the Mandarin track apparently has the original music.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Ok, thanks. I actually bought the Thai boxset cuz I heard about the music change and cuts.

Good to know for others that the Funi version is still a viable option.

Aren't the Funimation DVDs of Bastard Swordsman and its sequel Mandarin dubs only?

Mandarin Mono and English Dolby Digital Stereo I believe.

Archived