Crazy year for Samurai/Chanbara films on R1 Video?

waywardsage

waywardsage

So it seems like this year will shape up to be a pretty crazy year for us Chanbara enthusiasts. Consider the releases!

February

Sword of Desperation DVD

Three Outlaw Samurai Blu ray

April

Shogun Assassin Blu ray set

June

13 Samurai DVD

Hidden Blade Blu ray

Criterion Samurai Trilogy Blu ray

Misumi's Last Samurai DVD

July

The Great Killing DVD

September

Lone Wolf and Cub Blu ray set

Daimajin Blu ray/DVD set

November

Roshomon Blu ray/DVD

11 Samurai

December 30th

Sleep Eyes of Death 3rd Collection

As much bitching as we do, I gotta say, that is a TON of Samurai related releases in one year! When you look back, in years like 2009 there were only one or two releases I think.

Let me know if I missed any and i'll update the list!

What do you guys think?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget 11 Samurai is coming out this year as well from AnimEigo.

I will agree we are getting a lot this year, but could always use more. Still waiting for Criterion to release Hunter in The Dark and Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron.

Just finished watching 13 Assassins, (the original, bought it early from AnimEigo's website) and thought it was pretty good. Still, I liked Miike's version better.

Really looking foward to The Last Samurai.

waywardsage

11 Samurai is supposed to come out in July correct? I'll add it to the list!

daisho2004

Yes it is going to be a good year getting some great Samurai Releases on DVD but to be honest, there are so many classics's that are still unreleased. And that we might never see a legit release of. I'm glad that the Sleepy Eyes of Death is getting the last installment on DVD to bad they aren't on BR! Now maybe some of you Guys understand why fansubbers are so important to keep this genre alive instead of getting the same films released over & over again. I already have the 3rd installment of the Sleepy Eyes of Death that Merlin did a few years ago plus the 2 movies the was made after Raizo's Death which are excellent as well. And I doubt those are going to be added to the series, to bad they great movies.

waywardsage
Yes it is going to be a good year getting some great Samurai Releases on DVD but to be honest, there are so many classics's that are still unreleased. And that we might never see a legit release of. I'm glad that the Sleepy Eyes of Death is getting the last installment on DVD to bad they aren't on BR! Now maybe some of you Guys understand why fansubbers are so important to keep this genre alive instead of getting the same films released over & over again. I already have the 3rd installment of the Sleepy Eyes of Death that Merlin did a few years ago plus the 2 movies the was made after Raizo's Death which are excellent as well. And I doubt those are going to be added to the series, to bad they great movies.

Indeed Daisho. So many great classics are unavailable in R1 or may NEVER get a release. I'm hoping Animeigo hasn't forgotten about the 2nd Shinobi no Mono set that they claimed they were going to release. It has been so long since the first set I fear they may never release it.

How are Merlin's releases? How is the image quality compared to regular studio releases?

I have updated the release list for the year. If this can be sticky'd that would be awesome!

How are Merlin's releases? How is the image quality compared to regular studio releases?

@waywardsage: For the most part most of Merlin's releases are from remastered prints and in letter box format, and the subtitles & picture quality are perfect. Some of his movies are older and aren't from remastered prints because there to hard to find. But there still pretty good. One thing Merlin loves this genre and really puts his heart into these movies.

What would you want to see subbed? :)

Awe man, there's a laundry list. Off the top of my head:

Destiny's Son

Sword Devil

Ken

Shinobi No Mono (Last 4 Films)

Zatoichi (Re-issue boxed sets in Blu ray!)

Satans Sword Trilogy

Castle of Owls

Ninja Hunt

The Betrayal

The 3rd Ninja

The Assassination

to name just a few...

BlackLamaFaction

The Assassination was released by Eureka's Masters of Cinema series, and is a great DVD. It's region 2 so if you live in the states you'll need a region free dvd player. The rest of those as Haz said are all available online.

How about Hiroshi Inagaki's Young Swordsman? Or Kazuo Karoki's The Assassination of Ryoma? Or Shintaro Katsu's other famous Daiei series Bad Reputation/Tough Guy?

BlackLamaFaction

That's great news! Thanks for the Info on the Ryoma film HAZ.. Not sure about Tough Guy action wise, from what I've heard it was very popular in Japan. I've always thought it might be interesting to check out one or two of them. It's basically the same group of directors that directed the Zatoichi films.

Archived