Rumble In The Bronx (1995)

Guest Chinatown Kid

2 minutes ago, thehangman said:

I also heard it was stanley Tong and on the out takes jackie was seen coming thru door to make it look like it was him that had done it

Ive been getting into an argument(well discussion)with somebody about this and they wouldn't believe me so now I have somebody else who has heard it also so I now have back up,many thanks

• Like 1

Jackie has been doubled a fair amount over the years although he has done alot of stunts himself,alot prob due to injuries,not wanting to get injured and hold up production etc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thehangman said:

Jackie has been doubled a fair amount over the years although he has done alot of stunts himself,alot prob due to injuries,not wanting to get injured and hold up production etc

I agree i don't think he was unable to do the stunt and I don't think he was scared,but he probably would have done some serious damage if he did do it and like you say hold up production(I think he was 41 at the time and that's a little too old to be jumping off buildings) 

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:57 AM, sym8 said:

Have recently read the Clyde Gentry book INSIDE THE DRAGON in it he states that it wasn't Jackie that performed the stunt where he jumps from the car park to the landing opposite but it was the director Stanley Tong is this true? any thoughts anyone.

That is a pretty good (small) book and often what he writes is from interviews he took.  I'll reread that passage when I get back to the book.  Now I am very wary on many things that are said about HK film in general and you might be surprised on how many canards are out there (in all film discussions.)  But, I know Tong tested out the stunt.  My question has there been a direct quote from Jackie Chan, Tong or another stuntman on this topic?  I've looked for ages, but never had a solid confirmation.  This is one of those questions I would love to ask a good number of people involved.

• Like 2

IMDB's "trivia" section says this...

The script called for a leap from the top of a parking lot to a fire escape on the floor below on the building across the street. As is his custom, director Stanley Tong attempted the stunt before asking any actors to do so. He tried it with the help of a cable harness, but quickly decided it would be safer without the harness. The landing point was not visible from the point where the jump began, so tape was placed on the take-off point as a guide. The jump was completed perfectly by Jackie Chan on the first attempt, doing his own stunts as is his custom. The jump was captured by four cameras.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

My question has there been a direct quote from Jackie Chan, Tong or another stuntman on this topic?  I've looked for ages, but never had a solid confirmation.  This is one of those questions I would love to ask a good number of people involved.

From the book, there are quotes from Marc Akerstream and Alan Sit on Tong doing the stunt.  

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
19 hours ago, massa_yoda said:

From the book, there are quotes from Marc Akerstream and Alan Sit on Tong doing the stunt.  

Found the source (funny I had even highlighted it years ago; I took out what I considered superfluous info):

To extinguish the rumors: Jackie Chan did not make the jump.  Why?  The complexity of the stunt itself and the impact of the landing would have been unbearable on Chan's legs.  Chan has hurt his legs, feet, ankles and especially his knees on several occasions. ... Chan could have easily jumped the distance, but the impact would have damaged his knees and ankles, sending him to the hospital for the umpteenth time, thus holding up the $13-million production, which was on a strict deadline. ... The decision was made.  There was one man on Akerstream's team of Canadian stuntmen and on Ton's team of Hong Kong stuntmen who could do it. ... "Stanley had all these directorial things to get out of the way, logistics and such, but right up to the time of the shoot, I saw him turn from director to stuntman right before my eyes," says Akerstream. ... Tong executed the jump with perfect accuracy the first time, and that is what the audience sees in the finished cut of the film. ... "It was the most dangerous stunt that I have ever seen anyone perform," remarked Alan Sit, who worked as a stuntman on the film."

• Like 2

I sometimes will still watch this film in honor of both Marc Akerstream and Ailen Sit, who are sadly no longer with us :(

• Like 5

Hi folks. I'm new to this website, and thread.

If any of you want English subtitles for the uncut, un-dubbed version of "Rumble in the Bronx", I made them from scratch. They are a combination of the English subtitles that were on a Mandarin-dubbed DVD, the Japanese subtitles on the Warner Bros R2 DVD, and the few subtitles given on New Line Cinema's edit.  They should sync perfectly with the R2 Warner Bros DVD from Japan. English subtitles for ALL dialog can be found here or here. Subtitles for the Cantonese parts only can be found here or here. I'll even use the attachment feature if you want to just download it directly from my post.

BTW, if any of you happen to have the ultra rare OOP (out of print) China Star/Thakral DVD of "Rumble in the Bronx", would any of you be willing to send it to me so I can make a digital copy? My goal is to create a perfect "fan-edit" for this movie which combines the New Line Cinema blu-ray with the Hong Kong version. And I promise to compensate you for shipping and to send it back as soon as I make a digital copy. If you wish to burn the disc, I'll compensate you for any materials you bought to make it happen.

Please, pretty please? Anyone?

Rumble in the Bronx, uncut English ALL dialog (refined).srt

Rumble in the Bronx, UNCUT English Foreign parts only refined.srt

On 19/08/2006 at 3:53 PM, Guest Chinatown Kid said:

Does anyone know if the Warner Brothers Hong Kong version of Rumble in the Bronx is the uncut version or is it the same print released by New Line Cinema in the US? It features English and Chinese language tracks and I hoping this was the uncut version because I haven't seen it yet, only seen the New Line version.

The R3 DVD by Warner Bros is the New Line Cinema version, with abridged Cantonese/Mandarin tracks, which actually revert to the New Line Cinema dub when it was determined that trying to make those soundtracks fit didn't work.

• Like 4

On 28/01/2016 at 2:20 PM, AlbertV said:

I sometimes will still watch this film in honor of both Marc Akerstream and Ailen Sit, who are sadly no longer with us :(

Ailen Sit passed away? When? I actually liked his action direction in Silver Hawk and Tokyo Raiders. That would explain why I never saw much of him after Let the Bullets Fly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Ailen Sit passed away? When? I actually liked his action direction in Silver Hawk and Tokyo Raiders. That would explain why I never saw much of him after Let the Bullets Fly.

He passed away on July 17th, 2011. I don't know if the cause of death was made public, but it was said that he suffered from a heart condition.

• Like 1

Here's a little something I've been tinkering with for my own amusement for a while ( @tman418 seems to have had a similar idea)- an attempt to combine three DVD releases' strengths in lieu of a proper remaster.  Here's some footage as it appears on the Taiwan DVD, unaltered other than IVTC.

Here it is again, with the Japanese DVD's sync-sound audio, and North American DVD footage where available, The rest is (to my limited ability) color corrected and has its aspect ratio adjusted.  Two flavors of subtitles - superimposed over the burn-ins and down on the bottom letterbox.  I left anything I consider legible untouched.  Which do you all think is the superior solution?  Or is there another option that has escaped my attention?  Suggesting regarding font, color, outline, etc - or anything else - are welcome. 

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 7

Thank you.  If I do go that route, I think I'll just transcribe all the subtitles, then.  No sense to have the viewer's eyes darting back and forth that way.

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 2

And I had the epiphany that manually recreating the Taiwan DVD's hardsubs would be both more laborious and yield worse results than a more obvious method.  I'm going to base the subtitles on @tman418's "refined" version.  With some tweaks - I've corrected a few spelling errors, there may be a line or two that are superfluous which I will delete.  If anything's missing, I'll add them in myself.   Also some significant timing changes - his are based on the Japanese DVD (which is the most complete sync-sound version available).  But I'll also be adding in footage that's exclusive to the New Line cut (about 4 minutes' worth compared to the Japanese release), so I'll adjust accordingly.  I will credit him at the end, of course.  Kudos for putting the effort in, Tman.

• Like 2

Here's another look at a short line on the R1 footage, and (probably) the longest single Cantonese line on the Taiwan footage.  Good?

ZLxJ80x.jpg

NWfoMTO.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/10/2018 at 1:55 AM, Asmo said:

He passed away on July 17th, 2011. I don't know if the cause of death was made public, but it was said that he suffered from a heart condition.

For those who don't know, Marc Akerstream was accidentally killed on the set of The Crow: Stairway to Heaven, when a boat explosion resulted in Akerstream getting hit with shrapnel. One of the episodes was dedicated to him as he was the series' stunt coordinator. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, starschwar said:

Here's another look at a short line on the R1 footage, and (probably) the longest single Cantonese line on the Taiwan footage.  Good?

ZLxJ80x.jpg

NWfoMTO.jpg

I love this! The work and dedication is amazing! But wow I mean Im shocked that they were still burning in subtitles up until the mid 90s! I associate burnt in subs with films from the 70s not the 90s!

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
20 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

I love this! The work and dedication is amazing! But wow I mean Im shocked that they were still burning in subtitles up until the mid 90s! I associate burnt in subs with films from the 70s not the 90s!

HK films still had theatrical subtitles in the 90s, and for all I know they still do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

HK films still had theatrical subtitles in the 90s, and for all I know they still do.

Yeah I understand that but I thought the technique of burning them in optically would've been archaic by 1995.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josh Baker said:

Yeah I understand that but I thought the technique of burning them in optically would've been archaic by 1995.

As late as 1994 (perhaps later?) they were still sometimes shooting without sync-sound - Drunken Master II being the obvious example.  Obsolescence does not mean extinction.

That said, these subs from the Taiwan DVD seem to be designed based around the Mandarin dub, which presumably has some significant script alterations.  There are subtitles present in places where there is no spoken dialogue in the original sync sound.  Some subtitled lines are preposterously long compared to their sync sound counterparts.  Bits of English do not match up at all to what is being spoken, even beyond the norm.  Tman seems to have at least some knowledge of Cantonese, because many lines are rendered differently than the hardsubs.  They make perfect sense in context, so I'm giving him benefit of the doubt and assume that his versions are more correct.

Anyway, the Taiwan DVD is a quick and cheap scan of a theatrical print they had lying around.  The aspect ratio is wrong - there's less picture information on the sides, more vertically, and it is stretched (I have corrected that).  There's lots of bad color, tons of damage, and multiple instances of missing bits of footage.  Moreover, it's a double-sided disc, with the other side featuring the New Line edit, with optional digital Chinese subtitles.  So clearly, they had the technology to do something more presentable than the old hardsubs, but either lacked the budget, film materials, or effort to do so.

For the missing bits, usually the North American version has that covered.  Otherwise, I use the Japanese DVD and approximate the heavily-cropped image's position within the correct aspect ratio's framing to provide better visual continuity.

• Like 2