Rumble In The Bronx (1995)

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yeah the popularity of kung movies is way overstated overseas. House of 72 Tenants outdid all of Bruce's films, comedies were outdoing kung movies at the box office quite comfortably during the 70s. If you took the comedy out of Jackie's films i doubt he would of done well at all in HK. Jets hk popularity is overstated too, he had a few hits with the first two once upon a time in china movies swordsman 2 and Fong Sai Yuk but otherwise he wasn't a huge box office draw. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Iron Monkey, Fist of Legend and SPL were also flops in HK.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
Yeah the popularity of kung movies is way overstated overseas. House of 72 Tenants outdid all of Bruce's films, comedies were outdoing kung movies at the box office quite comfortably during the 70s. If you took the comedy out of Jackie's films i doubt he would of done well at all in HK. Jets hk popularity is overstated too, he had a few hits with the first two once upon a time in china movies swordsman 2 and Fong Sai Yuk but otherwise he wasn't a huge box office draw. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Iron Monkey, Fist of Legend and SPL were also flops in HK.

The problem is a lot of the common books suggest that HK cinema was Bruce Lee (and hence Bruceploitation) obbsessed until Jackie Chan pops along. Jackie himself, bless him, has done nothing to shatter this illusion.

What I'd like to know is which kung fu leads were really big. What made Jimmy Wang Yu such a huge star?

• Like 1

Wang Yu had sort of a Steve McQueen "intense" presence. We forget how big McQueen was in the 60s. BULLIT was the first of the "good cop having a bad day" actioners that are now a routine. Wang was HK's answer and he did McQueen quite well.

Plus Wang was sternly and righteously proud to be Chinese, before Bruce took it to the hilt.

I was stunned to find out that EASTERN CONDORS was a flop in HK. But audiences had turned on Sammo(he had left his wife for Joyce Godenzi and LUCKY STARS GO PLACES got a sour reaction from the locals) and didn't care for serious action movies as escapism. But over here, it was the badass cult actioner before John Woo's THE KILLER.

The irony of the Bruce Lee/Brucesploitation myth is that most of the Bruce clone movies were never released in Hong Kong. They played huge in third world and grindhouse markets. But all these dumb documentaries and books act as if the Hong Kong industry was suckerpunched by Lee's death. Glance at the box office records or film magazines and you'll notice the industry kept going and going after Bruce's passing. I don't know why Jackie perpetuates the myth, but he knows Americans only think in terms of Bruce Lee. These days, I think Jackie and Jet are far bigger with the younger US generation.

• Like 2

If you really want to stir up trouble on other message boards, talk about how much you love Wong Jing movies. The venom, bile and hatred spewed will be like you've never seen. But Wong Jing's work is huge in HK, maybe more profitable than any other filmmaker of the last 25 years. He knows what the audience wants. But the movie buffs in this country are very ignorant of that. They think John Woo and Tsui Hark ruled the roost. But neither came within a fraction of Wong's grosses. Of course, it helped that he was prolific.

• Like 2

I believe it's a chinese culture thing. It's said that it's ok to he a mistress but you don't leave your wife for her. That's why the backlash against Sammo and Joyce.

The western folk have always had a different draw to HK movies. They prefer the more serious and straight pictures to the cantonese style that came out of HK. Wong Jing, Jackie, Sammo, S Chow and others were HK kings because of the straight up silliness and slapstick style. Cantonese humor is not world humor. Others are much more revered, adored and respected worldwide than at home(Chang Cheh, Sun Chung, John Woo, Kurosawa(japan), T Hark was different but respected in both places). Wong Jing could beat John Woo in hk every day of the week yet most people outside of hk prob. can't name 4 Wong Jing movies, directed or produced.

The hk folk really seemed attached to silliness and lighthearted movies and less to branches out to more serious stuff, although the heroic bloodshed era goes against that. They took to dramas ok but not serious martial or action based movies(T Hark productions figure differently here).

Jet was adored worldwide but as was mentioned when he went modern and serious, his stuff wasn't raking in money. Not BfB. Not Hitman.

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

that is one of the drawbacks of HK MA films is that alot of times you have to endure the silly juvenile comedy humor to watch the fights which usually have better choreography and martial artists than films from the west. I really prefer the seriousness of the US action films lately, especially the ones that feature Scott Adkins who has superior talent than most.

Guest Markgway

I think Baron K is spot on about the Cantonese addiction to silly misplaced humour. That's why you even get "comedy" in brutal serial killer horror movies. It's something I'm very much against.

As for the have a mistress/don't leave your wife thing that must be cultural because I really don't give a fuck who Sammo was/is banging. As long as his movies are good and he isn't doing anything illegal why should the public care? They shouldn't. And if that is truly the reason Sammo's movies started flopping in HK then the local audience is a bunch of dickheads. Thanks for nothing.

Killer Meteor
I think Baron K is spot on about the Cantonese addiction to silly misplaced humour. That's why you even get "comedy" in brutal serial killer horror movies. It's something I'm very much against.

As for the have a mistress/don't leave your wife thing that must be cultural because I really don't give a fuck who Sammo was/is banging. As long as his movies are good and he isn't doing anything illegal why should the public care? They shouldn't. And if that is truly the reason Sammo's movies started flopping in HK then the local audience is a bunch of dickheads. Thanks for nothing.

I wonder if that's why Dragon Lord flopped, because of the breakup between Jackie and Teresa Tang (they wern't married, but even so...)

Then again, did Dragon Lord flop? I have a hard time taking anything in that Jackie "autobiography" seriously now.

• Like 1

I wonder if that's why Dragon Lord flopped, because of the breakup between Jackie and Teresa Tang (they wern't married, but even so...)

Then again, did Dragon Lord flop? I have a hard time taking anything in that Jackie "autobiography" seriously now.

It made more 7 million hk more than Young Master and 2 million hk less than Project A. Im using hk movie database and hk cinemagic as my sources.

Killer Meteor
It made more 7 million hk more than Young Master and 2 million hk less than Project A. Im using hk movie database and hk cinemagic as my sources.

Really? Amazing!

OpiumKungFuCracker

My simple and honest reviews with a little hint of sarcasm, I can't post edit videos and I don't do youtube...

First review up for KFC and this is a first, yes Virgin at the wheel here and I based this not on a 1-10 scale or 4 star rating but rated as the greatest movie ever or not the greatest and then I'll just give you footnotes on why it is or isn't...

Rumble In The Bronx (1995)

Directed By: Stanley Tong

Cast: Jackie Chan, Anita Mui, Bill Tung, Francoise Yip, I really wanted to list the white guy with the blonde hair with the broken nose and the glitz leather jacket but I can't find his name on IMDB, one of the funniest punk gang members in movie history, lol...

The greatest movie ever, yes or no

1. The love for the cushion

2. The most diverse punk gangs ever committed to celluloid

3. Jackie Chan pronouncing words like "Uncle," "Video Game"

4. The use of glass bottle over and over again doesn't really send the message across because the following day Chan is being chase in broad daylight with dirt bikes in a very pedestrian area, LOL...

5. Jackie Chan is sporting mom's Jean

6. The English Dubbing is fantastic!!!!

7. Uncle Ben wifes a sassy black lady that looks like Star Jones

8. Hovercraft chase scene

9. Jackie Chan gives an uplifting words of wisdom speech before and after the showdown at Punk's headquarters

10. Anita Mua gives one of the most hilarious performance in her career

11. Jamaican Drug Deal gone wrong

12. Jackie Chan Rock Song at the end of the credits

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite films, and yes, because of Anita Mui's input - but in my opinion, her absolutely funniest performance was in Drunken Master II - but this also was a great film to introduce the American public to Hong Kong cinema....

Laura

• Like 1

massa_yoda

9. Jackie Chan gives an uplifting words of wisdom speech before and after the showdown at Punk's headquarters

Personal favorite line: "You are all garbage!"

I'll always have a soft spot for this one, my intro to a much bigger world.

DarthKato
I really wanted to list the white guy with the blonde hair with the broken nose and the glitz leather jacket but I can't find his name on IMDB, one of the funniest punk gang members in movie history, lol...

His real name is Garvin Cross, he played the part of Angelo. I agree with you that this is a very good film and was actually the first Jackie film I ever saw.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

13. Game Gear or Game boy not sure which handheld console but it appears to be the one Danny was holding didn't have a cartridge in the back, it had an empty slot and Danny was still able to play games on it??? Where can I get one of those, Emulators before they were emulators????

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

14. Beach Ball truck driver guy goes inside his truck, see's Chan but didn't have a sympathetic bone in his body to help him out and not rat on him?? That fat bastard could have saved his truck and his beach balls, LOL...

15. Fight scene on a pool table, need more of that in action movies...

16. Jackie Chan utilized Ski poles as a staff to beat up on them punks, lol

• Like 1

17. Punk carries his punk friends remains in a trash bag back to the punk hideout after being mashed in a wood grinder, then saying "....it was terrible"

• Like 1

[quote name='

12. Jackie Chan Rock Song at the end of the credits[/quote']

FYI The music is from a Northern Irish band called 'Ash' and was recorded in 1995 and is on their album entitled '1977' (coz thats when they were born). The song is called 'Kung Fu' and it's a tribute coz the members of the band are fans of the movies. I had the album many years back, and when i first watched encounters of the spooky kind and saw the fight between sammo and Lam ching yins police henchmen in the tea house it struck me immediately that the chop socky sound effects were what was sampled at the beginning of the Ash song.

Heres the video

dWqY8qrBBSI

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Never understood the love for this movie?!

One of my least favourite JC flicks. He's fine in the movie, but everything else is pretty embarrasing.

Still baffled by the fact that this was his breakthrough film in the US?!

Oh well, to each his own.

Have recently read the Clyde Gentry book INSIDE THE DRAGON in it he states that it wasn't Jackie that performed the stunt where he jumps from the car park to the landing opposite but it was the director Stanley Tong is this true? any thoughts anyone.

• Like 1

I also heard it was stanley Tong and on the out takes jackie was seen coming thru door to make it look like it was him that had done it

• Like 1