Rumble In The Bronx (1995)

Guest Chinatown Kid

well does longer version have more fight scenes?I remember enjoyed new line@cinema but I do not track it down for extra comedy only

The action sequences are extended in some cases. For example, I know when Keung (haven't seen the movie in years, yet I remember Chan's character name) takes on the biker gang at their "hideout", footage of Keung dodging attacks under the pinball machines is extended as well as some other stuff... can't remember entirely.

• Like 1

The action sequences are extended in some cases. For example, I know when Keung (haven't seen the movie in years, yet I remember Chan's character name) takes on the biker gang at their "hideout", footage of Keung dodging attacks under the pinball machines is extended as well as some other stuff... can't remember entirely.

yes that one was extended.. and also some other but i dont remember the exact parts

• Like 1

I'd like to subtitle one of the DVDs (Thakral/China Star preferrably) but it's hard tracking down all the elements. Ditto First Strike, I have the subtitles for it but I just need to trim and time them.

• Like 1

Cut FIRST STRIKE down to 10 minutes and you'll have a good movie. Chan's collaborations with Stanley Tong are some of his worst movies. I remember interviewing Donnie Yen in 1995 and his funny barbs about how bad RUMBLE IN THE BRONX was. He was just shaking his head in disbelief.

• Like 2

Guest Markgway
I remember interviewing Donnie Yen in 1995 and his funny barbs about how bad RUMBLE IN THE BRONX was. He was just shaking his head in disbelief.

Was that the same Donnie Yen who had just completed the excerable High Voltage and then went on to make dire Iron Monkey 2? Just checking...

Yep, and he warned us not to bother with seeing those movies. He claimed they were done as favors for the producers. Of course, those favors were stalling his career.

• Like 1

kungpowmaster

I like Rumble in the Bronx, and First Strike. I like Chan alot, but I think his best stuff was his classic era Kung Fu films, and his 70's crime/action films.

I know he's a big star now, and I understand he wants to work, but I personally do not like his American produced Hollywood films.

I have no desire to see Karate Kid.

• Like 1

I'd rather watch his Owen Wilson team-ups or AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS than anything he ever made with Stanley Tong. Tong has no talent whatsoever. MR. MAGOO remains his only attempt at Stateside filmmaking.

• Like 1

I'd rather watch his Owen Wilson team-ups or AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS than anything he ever made with Stanley Tong. Tong has no talent whatsoever. MR. MAGOO remains his only attempt at Stateside filmmaking.

really? i remember that movie.. it was awful.. really i didnt like it at all :xd:

About the Owen Wilson team-up.. i liked them

• Like 1

Cut FIRST STRIKE down to 10 minutes and you'll have a good movie. Chan's collaborations with Stanley Tong are some of his worst movies. I remember interviewing Donnie Yen in 1995 and his funny barbs about how bad RUMBLE IN THE BRONX was. He was just shaking his head in disbelief.

I've always wondered... what martial arts movies, other than some of his own, HAS Donnie Yen liked? :tongue:

• Like 1

Guest Markgway
I've always wondered... what martial arts movies, other than some of his own, HAS Donnie Yen liked? :tongue:

Fist of Fury............................ and that's about it.

This is Jackie's second highest grossing movie in HK after First Strike, i was surprised when i read that i would of thought that police story 3 or operation condor would of been the highest grossing.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
Fist of Fury............................ and that's about it.

I think the only person in the HK film industry who doesn't like that film is Jackie Chan!

Guest Markgway
I think the only person in the HK film industry who doesn't like that film is Jackie Chan!

That's because it doesn't star Jackie Chan.

(Yes, I know he was a stuntman in it, but that doesn't count).

I wonder if you adjust the money for inflation, DRUNKEN MASTER or SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW had bigger HK grosses.

And Chan never came close to Stephen Chow, Chow Yun Fat or even Sam Hui in terms of box office.

• Like 1

I wonder if you adjust the money for inflation, DRUNKEN MASTER or SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW had bigger HK grosses.

And Chan never came close to Stephen Chow, Chow Yun Fat or even Sam Hui in terms of box office.

Do you have figures to back that up, cause im not sure if thats true. Stephen Chow is definitely the king of the HK box office though.

Sam Hui's highest was All's Well End's Well, Too (1993) with HK $35,481,480.00

Chow Yun Fat's highest was God of Gamblers Return (1994) with HK $52,529,768.00

Jackie's highest was First Strike (1996) with HK $57,518,794.00

I dont know about inflation, i dont think id bother taking the time to do that lol. Though it probably would make quite a difference.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
That's because it doesn't star Jackie Chan.

(Yes, I know he was a stuntman in it, but that doesn't count).

Yeah but Jackie seems to be about the only HK kung fu star who isn't praiseworthy of Lee.

If you adjusted for inflation the grosses of the first three ACES GO PLACES movies, it would probably outgross any Chan movie. As of 1990, Sam Hui was the highest paid actor in Hong Kong, according to Variety's Derek Elley. Even the disappointing ACES GO PLACES V outgrossed THE KILLER. Eric Tsang had claimed the first ACES still held the record for most tickets sold, which is an interesting perspective, if true. Whenever I socialize with Hong Kong or Taiwanese people of middle-age, they always mention Hui or Chow Yun Fat, never Chan. Chan is really the highest grossing "action" star, but not overall movie star. His advantage was his one-time popularity in Japan, which was a rare feat for any Chinese actor. But that faded. THUNDERBOLT was a blatant attempt to regain the Japan audience.

I remember Stephen Chow's rise in the 90s seemed to really bug Jackie.

Wish I had the accounting ability to adjust for inflation. It would be interesting. It's like how GONE WITH THE WIND is still a top US box office champ, although ticket prices were probably 25 cents in the 1930s.

• Like 2

It'd be interesting to see how the figures stacked up after adjusted for inflation, the first Aces go places would probably be one of the highest grossing ever. For Jackie Armour of God would most likely be his best adjusted for inflation, Chow Yun Fat's would be A Better Tomorrow. I think overall Jackie would gross higher than Hui (even adjusted for inflation) cause he was in more movies and his popularity was consistent into the late 90s. If i had more time i might look into it a bit more.

• Like 1

If you counted Hui's movies with his brothers in the 1970s, I don't think Jackie would come close. Those films kept Golden Harvest alive in the 70s and were massive hits. Hui made the jump to CInema City, and thanks to him, Chow Yun Fat and the Tsui Hark Film Workshop, CInema City was the top studio of the 1980s.

If ARMOUR OF GOD is Chan's biggest (and I think you are correct), it must have been because of publicity about his accident. And Alan Tam. Because it is one of his weaker 80s movies (though on a sliding scale, superior to the bulk of his 90s work).

Stephen Chow stayed on top ever since ALL FOR THE WINNER, but isn't as prolific as a decade ago. To their credit, Chan and Chow made a smooth transition to Mainland audiences.

Chan is thought of as the biggest star because of the publicity in the US, which nobody really fact checks and most Western periodicals don't care.

• Like 2

Jesse Smooth
If you counted Hui's movies with his brothers in the 1970s, I don't think Jackie would come close. Those films kept Golden Harvest alive in the 70s and were massive hits. Hui made the jump to CInema City, and thanks to him, Chow Yun Fat and the Tsui Hark Film Workshop, CInema City was the top studio of the 1980s.

If ARMOUR OF GOD is Chan's biggest (and I think you are correct), it must have been because of publicity about his accident. And Alan Tam. Because it is one of his weaker 80s movies (though on a sliding scale, superior to the bulk of his 90s work).

Stephen Chow stayed on top ever since ALL FOR THE WINNER, but isn't as prolific as a decade ago. To their credit, Chan and Chow made a smooth transition to Mainland audiences.

Chan is thought of as the biggest star because of the publicity in the US, which nobody really fact checks and most Western periodicals don't care.

WOW! I'm glad you take the time to research this stuff because most of us here in the US have been spoonfed BS. The proof is out there. Most of us only know of Shaws and GH, but there were more than two studios in HK.

• Like 1