Rumble In The Bronx (1995)

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Chinatown Kid

Does anyone know if the Warner Brothers Hong Kong version of Rumble in the Bronx is the uncut version or is it the same print released by New Line Cinema in the US? It features English and Chinese language tracks and I hoping this was the uncut version because I haven't seen it yet, only seen the New Line version.

Guest Liu chung liang

The WB ver. is the Uncut version, because there is no other releases. Just 2, New Line & Warner. You haven't seen the uncut ver. yet? Dude, they play it on TV!!!!!!!!! All I did was record it on TV. It is uncut too, because we see like a whole bunch of missing scenes, that we don't see in the New Line Cinema version.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks for that info Liu. If the uncut version plays on tv I sure haven't seen it on any of the stations I get. The only version I've ever scene on tv is the New Line version. Very glad to hear this is the uncut version though because I've ordered this along with Convict Killer from YesAsia. Looking forward to seeing all the extra scenes. 8)

Guest Daisho2004

JFYI, I don't even know why it is called Rumble in the Bronx, this movie has nothing to do with NY at all there isn't anything that even looked like it should have the Bronx's name in it, and in my opinion this is one of Jackie's worst movies he ever made.

Guest limubai2000

The Funny DVD version out of Taiwan is uncut and contains the kissing scene in it. There was also a HK VCD of the same if memory serves, I think gfan knows the most about this film of just about anyone alive.

Guest chen lung

I've got it.

2:35:1 anamorphic. Only Chinese, Korean and Thai subtitles.

It is the international New Line Cinema version with the Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks abridged to fit.

Guest gfanikf

I have the UBER rare uncut subbed VCD which is the original HK version and NOT dubbed in Mandarian like The Funny DVD. I also have the uncut but unsubbed Chinastar DVD and right language

Guest Chinatown Kid

Looks like the Funny DVD was what I was looking for. The Warner disc is evidently the same print as the New Line as both run the length of 91 minutes. The Funny DVD runs the length of 105 minutes so I'll order that one. Thanks for your help Limubai and Chen Lung and lucky you gfanikf for owning the rare out of print vcd! :)

Guest chen lung

I've also got the HK DVD that's unsubtitled (co-production of 'Thakral' and 'Chinastar' is would seem). I also have the Speedy VCD which is cut but contains the original credits and an alternative version of Angelo insulting Keung - with his trousers up.

Funny DVD allegedly has small subtitles and Mandarin only.

I was eager to check the Warner to see if the 'escape from the nightclub' scene had real audio as opposed to what New Line recorded (it was deleted from HK versions), however it was the latter's soundtrack inserted for that scene.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I'd really appreciate that gfanikf. Take a look at my list in the trading section and pick a couple of movies you'd like and I'll trade you for a copy of that rare vcd you have. Thanks!

Damn!

I've been watching the cut version since it was screened here in italy! So a lot of years (i was a kid back then)!

When i was in HK i picked up the rare China Star vcd (mandarin/cantonese and chinese subs only when they speak in english).... i watched it last nite.

A completely different movie!!

A lot of scenes (also during the action ones) were cut from the international release, but also the HK print misses some such as the scene where Jackie and the girl go out of the club and they push the bikes on the ground (international print).

Overall this uncut version is far better than the international print!

I didnt expect so much cuts... O_O

• Like 1

Prefer the New Line Cut. Original HK cut is a boring, sluggish film that was generally hated by fans when it debuted in the Chinatowns. We were stunned New Line acquired it. Was surprised by how fun the US print was in theaters.

Longer isn't always better. Many of Chan's 90s movies have serious pacing issues, possibly spawned by their troubled productions.

• Like 1

Prefer the New Line Cut. Original HK cut is a boring, sluggish film that was generally hated by fans when it debuted in the Chinatowns. We were stunned New Line acquired it. Was surprised by how fun the US print was in theaters.

Longer isn't always better. Many of Chan's 90s movies have serious pacing issues, possibly spawned by their troubled productions.

but this time they cut some comedy parts as well!

the one where jackie is in front of the mirror-window, in the HK version is longer and much funnier...

• Like 1

I actually have a bizarre hybrid cut on video that uses the New Line cut for a base, and adds in scenes from the HK cut... but they use a Mandarin language print for English subtitled HK scenes and the China Star Cantonese print for English language HK scenes.

Very jarring, especially when the music changes between cuts. Overall, judging by the comments on here, it seems like the best cut would be editing along the lines of the US cut, while adding in SOME scenes from the HK cut. Well, also adding back in any action shots missing from the US print.

• Like 1

The Running Man

In my opinion, the longer HK version is overall a much better movie but there are some things that the New Line version does improve on, I think:

- Some of the looping done improves the delivery of some lines, like when Jackie picks up the phone and does the impersonation of a bad guy when talking to the head mafia guy. Also, some of the voice actors looping some of the actors like some of the mafia thugs give "tough guy" voices which are better suited.

- In very few instances the editing is better. The reworking of the drag race on top of the cars by the girls in the New Line cut for example is better than the original.

- But the greatest improvement would have to be the score by J. Peter Robinson. In fact, all of the scores he did for this, Police Story 4 and Mr. Nice Guy I believe are superior to the original scores. If I could, I would love to have a full uncut versions of those movies but with J. Peter Robinson's score worked in.

• Like 1

I was stunned they didn't cut out the Vancouver mountains.

No no no, you mean the New York mountains... after all that's one of New York's great trademarks :wink::wink:

• Like 1

• Administrator
No no no, you mean the New York mountains... after all that's one of New York's great trademarks :wink::wink:

Yeah, that's what the tunnels are for... to go under the mountains. :xd:

• Like 1