Best route to get early Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao films?

waywardsage

waywardsage

I'm looking to get Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao's earlier films:

Prodigal Son

Warriors Two

Magnificent Butcher

Knockabout

Iron Fisted Monk

Wheels on Meals

I'd like to get these in R1 good anamorphic widescreen transfers only. I'd be okay with R0 anamorphic widescreen too. I just don't want non-anamorphic widescreen crap.

It's beginning to look like nobody will ever re-release these!! I'm panicked!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can get nice crap editions of most of those on R1... if you wanna go with Fox's Fortune Star remixed rape editions, that is. Iron Fisted Monk was maybe ok, though, with original audio and maybe even in sync (got it, but the disc is stored on the wrong continent).

Of course, if you were willing to get R2s you could get nice editions, like the German Prodigal Son disc (eng subs, FS remaster, original audio) and HKL's Wheels on Meals (same deal, though with a slightly pinkified image as far as I recall).

David Rees

Why do some people still have region locked DVD players??

Region Free players are so cheap now, there is no excuse.

blue_skies
Why do some people still have region locked DVD players??

Region Free players are so cheap now, there is no excuse.

I know!:squigglemouth:

Got my first region free player when I was 14.

(and no, I'm not 15 years old :cry:)

Cine asia have re-released Prodigal Son, Wheels on Meals, etc, not sure if they are doing all the HKL catalogue, so you can get nice shiny new DVDs of these Fatty fliks

massa_yoda
You can get nice crap editions of most of those on R1... if you wanna go with Fox's Fortune Star remixed rape editions, that is.

I thought Knockabout was a good R1 release. Original soundtrack and subs if I'm not mistaken.

waywardsage

I watch DVD's/Blu's on my PS3. I don't really want to add another component to my cabinet if I don't have too. Plus, I'd be locked into watching all my films ONLY on my player at home on my TV, unless I haul my region free player around.

The Sammo Hung Action Collection Boxset is still available. It includes remastered versions of Spooky Encounters, Knockabout and The Magnificent Butcher. As far as I can tell they're all region free.

blue_skies
I watch DVD's/Blu's on my PS3. I don't really want to add another component to my cabinet if I don't have too. Plus, I'd be locked into watching all my films ONLY on my player at home on my TV, unless I haul my region free player around.

watch you R1 anywhere and other region DVDs on TV with multiregion player, simple:wink:

David Rees

Don't know about the USA but here in the UK you can get a region free player for £20, so £40 you can have all regions in all rooms, not much of a layout.

Archived