Chuck Norris' best films on Blu-ray!

mpm74

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

I'm sorry but for me, with the exception of Lone Wolf McQuade, none of those are Chuck's best films.

What I want to know is when is The Octagon getting a Blu-ray release? Or even a WS dvd? Come on already!!!!!!

The Dragon
I'm sorry but for me, with the exception of Lone Wolf McQuade, none of those are Chuck's best films.

What I want to know is when is The Octagon getting a Blu-ray release? Or even a WS dvd? Come on already!!!!!!

Yeah.

Oh- I nearly forgot...

CfGiIg8kHbw

Bring on The Octagon widescreen on blu-ray! Until then Chuck's best film isn't available on blu-ray yet, IMHO. While we're on the subject of Chuck's movies on blu-ray, anybody know if any these blu-rays will have any notable special features?

Screw Octagon.... jk (I seriously don't remember much about it... except Norris whispering in his mind)

It's all about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mY2JR2_0QI!

By the way, did any of you guys know that AVENGING FORCE is actually a sequel to INVASION U.S.A.? Dudikoff takes over the role of Norris.

Guest Markgway

I think Avenging Force - let's get this out on BD! - is meant to be a prequel because Dudikoff was about 20 years younger than Norris.

ShaOW!linDude
By the way, did any of you guys know that AVENGING FORCE is actually a sequel to INVASION U.S.A.? Dudikoff takes over the role of Norris.

I think Avenging Force - let's get this out on BD! - is meant to be a prequel because Dudikoff was about 20 years younger than Norris.

Okay......I never got that. It's been a while since I've seen Avenging Force (and I'm down with Markgway on getting that out; I'd even take a decent dvd release) and I just watched Invasion USA again a year or so ago.

I've never seen a connection between the 2, other than Norris' and Dudikoff's characters having the same name. Is there a reference to Pentangle (the secret society in AF) in Chuck's film or something? I can't think of a single thread of continuity or plot line to tie these 2 movies together. Don't you think it just a coincidence due to the protagonist in each film being named 'Matt Hunter'?

He's an excellent martial artist and a genuinely nice man, but he can't act his way out of a paper bag (same can also be said about Cynthia Rothock....), but if there was anything he did that I watched, it was "Walker, Texas Ranger." Never got into his films for some reason...now Cynthia, I could give you a list.... :biggrin:

He's an excellent martial artist and a genuinely nice man, but he can't act his way out of a paper bag (same can also be said about Cynthia Rothock....), but if there was anything he did that I watched, it was "Walker, Texas Ranger." Never got into his films for some reason...now Cynthia, I could give you a list.... :biggrin:

Pretty much my thpoughts on the situation. The only thing he has ever in that I really enjoyed was "Way of the Dragon". In everything else he just way over powered and his acting is just bad.

dionbrother

AVENGING FORCE was originally pitched as a Norris sequel (just as AMERICAN NINJA was written for Norris, but he turned it down). Both INVASION and AVENGING have "Matt Hunter" working for a super secret American espionage agency (did you know Norris was a big fan of The Destroyer novels and really tried to get the rights? Many of his films swipe from them, even THE PRESIDENT'S MAN). Script was retooled for Dudikoff, so INVASION USA references were toned down/scrubbed. No big deal. I'm convinced signing with Cannon killed Norris' film career.

I'm convinced signing with Cannon killed Norris' film career.

I always thought Van Damme/Seagal killed Norris' career.

I always thought Van Damme/Seagal killed Norris' career.

I agree. Martial arts cinema just changed because the audience was looking for something different and these two men hit the mark. Lately though neither of them has managed to hang in there - although I could be wrong to say this about Van Damme. Seagal's films (which were always poorly acted) seemed to recycle the same tired formula and have gone straight to video. I've always felt Van Damme was by far the better actor and isn't above challenging himself. I suspect he'll have staying power for that reason. I've watched a few of his recently roles lately and it's nice to see him back. Seagal, although I respect his skills, seems to over reach in his roles and never has much of a script to work with.

Guest Yi-Long

I've never been impressed with Chuck as a screen-fighter. I always felt he moved quite slow and awkward.

ShaOW!linDude
AVENGING FORCE was originally pitched as a Norris sequel (just as AMERICAN NINJA was written for Norris, but he turned it down). Both INVASION and AVENGING have "Matt Hunter" working for a super secret American espionage agency (did you know Norris was a big fan of The Destroyer novels and really tried to get the rights? Many of his films swipe from them, even THE PRESIDENT'S MAN). Script was retooled for Dudikoff, so INVASION USA references were toned down/scrubbed. No big deal. I'm convinced signing with Cannon killed Norris' film career.

Ah, that's very interesting. I didn't know that or that Chuck was such a fan of THE DESTROYER series.

I've never been impressed with Chuck as a screen-fighter. I always felt he moved quite slow and awkward.

I guess it comes down to preference. But you have to consider the choreography, style of editing, and the fact that American action/MA films didn't use under-cranking then. And with a professional fight record of 183 wins, 10 losses, and 2 ties, he can't be that slow. Of course, I realize you're speaking of him as a screen fighter.

Guest Markgway

Chuck's all-American hero persona is what made him so appealing as an action movie star. It's also worth remembering that he pretty much stopped making 'martial arts movies' after 1980's The Octagon.

ShaOW!linDude

I'd agree with that to some degree. But I still consider An Eye For An Eye (1981), Forced Vengeance (1982), and Lone Wolf McQuade (1983) as MA flicks with the latter being his real moment of transition to more of an emphasis on pure action as opposed to MA.

I think The Octagon and An Eye for An Eye is 2 of his best films, plus I really liked Invasion USA as well.

dionbrother

Chuck was locked into a Cannon Films contract, and by the mid-80s, Cannon could barely get their products released in theaters after taking baths on LIFEFORCE and INVADERS FROM MARS. I remember Norris complaining to Black Belt that BRADDOCK: MISSING IN ACTION III barely played theaters. Even the Cannon-produced BLOODSPORT had to be released by Warners after sitting on Cannon's shelf for a few years. By the time Chuck was able to do indy productions like SIDEKICKS, Norris and Van Damme had taken over his market. I also think Norris shouldn't have stopped making martial arts movies. I asked Aaron Norris about what happened to Norris' dream project THE KICKBOXING BROTHERS, and he said they could never get the financing. Chuck was pushing for that film around 1987-88. VD and Seagal were gradually creeping into that market.

ShaOW!linDude

Dude!!!!!.....Aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!......Dude!!!!!........Killer!!!!!!!........Dude!!!!!

Guest Markgway

30th anniversary editions?

Shouldn't that be 32nd and 33rd anniversary editions or do we now just round to the nearest zero?

OpiumKungFuCracker
Due for UK release on 6th August. Both come with Director's commentary.

32118759_300x300_1.jpgforce.jpg

The Brits are at it again... When it comes to artwork/special features The British keeps kicking our asses in that department...

Archived