Last Action Hero

Travis

I just watched Last Action Hero on TV. It had been awhile since I had seen it and my opinion is that it isn't that bad of a film. It just isn't one of Arnie's best. It is better than most films made in the past decade.

I think it is worth taking a look at again.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I always thought it was a terrible choice to make Schwarzenegger self-aware. "Commando," "The Running Man" et al are classics because, not only are they solid action flicks, but they contain oodles of comedy cold.

"Last Action Hero" played up Arnold's kitsch appeal and said, "Hey, we know you laugh at him and now he knows you laugh at him, so let's laugh together!" It just doesn't work for me.

The film feels like a mess. A silly mess that doesn't hit the mark it was going for. Granted, I, too, haven't seen it in a while, but it's not a film I'm yearning to revisit.

I think its one of Arnold's best as well. Him making fun of the action movie genre. So cheesy its cool.

"Last Action Hero" played up Arnold's kitsch appeal and said, "Hey, we know you laugh at him and now he knows you laugh at him, so let's laugh together!" It just doesn't work for me.

I'm with you on this on a general level (been too long since I saw LAH to comment on that one). Many genre movies do (or do not) acknowledge they are no high art, but playing the joke straight is what makes them ballsy, cool, and allows them to have a solid backbone to keep it from falling appart. Last Action Hero (based on your description) is like explaining a joke to people who wouldn't get it otherwise.

Recently I had this exact problem with Yakuza Weapon, which also doesn't have the balls to take the risk, but instead is constantly shouting "look, this is a joke"... It's no longer witty and fun, but just rather pathetic.

I think the movie has gotten better with age. Action movie lovers were spoiled back then because the genre was still at it'speak in terms of that kind of movie. I never cared much for it, but after seeing it on TV the other night, I feel it is better than I originally thought and is much better than the average movie being made today.

It just not one of Arnie's classics.

The movie also has a bad image because of the bloated budget and a less than stellar performance and I think that has influenced people, even if they don't realize it.

DarthKato

I think LAH is not that bad of a movie. Like travis said, its not one of Arnold's better films, but i think it is still fun to watch.

masterofoneinchpunch

What annoyed me most about the film was the kid.

But yeah I thought it was a decent film. Fun seeing him do Hamlet :).

Archived