Butch Berring & The Kung Fu Kid (1974)

The Bicker Man

The Bicker Man

Hi all. :bigsmile:

Does anyone here have any information about a (possible) MA film called Butch Berring & The Kung Fu Kid?

According to the BBFC the film was submitted in 1974 (see here) and cut for an 'A' certificate. Curiously the cuts were to brief topless nudity and some crude dialogue (uses of 'shit' and 'christ', references to 'whores' and 'whorehouses' etc) which seem odd for a martial arts film. Other than this I can find no information whatsoever about the film. Nothing comes up on either the IMDB or BFI sites under this title, and there's no mention of it in either Photoplay or the Monthly Film Bulletin. It sounds vaguely like a parody/spoof of Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, and was possibly retitled before release.

Any ideas anyone? :confused:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Never heard of that one. If it is indeed a kung fu movie it's almost certainly a retitle. Of what I don't know. Best bet is that someone who was around in the 70s remembers seeing it. Or you ask the BBFC if they have any more information?

rare to get an A cert for a kung fu film in the 70's

could be wits to wits but i oubt that would have got an A

The Bicker Man

Wits To Wits was mentioned as a possible alternate. However the BBFC definitely cut that one for an 'X' under two titles (Dragons Of Kung Fu and Con Man And The Kung Fu Kid) and the latter was the one used on posters for theatrical release. Confusingly they also list it as an 'A' on their website which seems to be a mistake. Incidentally Kung Fu Fighting (aka The Crush/Vengeance Of Kung Fu) was also released as an 'A' in 1974, though only after extensive cuts.

Butch Berring seems to be a fiddly one. It was almost certainly released under a different title (providing it was actually released at all) though what I don't know. :confused:

The Bicker Man

More likely had a change of distributor (as well as a change of title). Carnaby also originally submitted Stranger From Canton which was initially banned before being released with cuts by a different distributor (in this case London International) the same year.

Killer Meteor
More likely had a change of distributor (as well as a change of title). Carnaby also originally submitted Stranger From Canton which was initially banned before being released with cuts by a different distributor (in this case London International) the same year.

I can imagine UK censors still having issues from Stranger From Canton with its creepy cruelty to a nude child.

Archived