Req: Web of Death DVD Comparison

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Does anyone have the Aussie Siren and/or German MIB DVDs of this Chu Yuan title?

I'd like to know which is better?

The Hong Kong IVL only has a 5.1 remix and the American Well Go is interlaced.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

most of the German MIB Discs are horribly encoded, so i'll pick these only as last option... i have the Aussie Disc somewhere...

The Well Go blu-ray looks good. Probably the best looking version currently out there if you have a blu-ray player.

Guest Markgway
most of the German MIB Discs are horribly encoded, so i'll pick these only as last option... i have the Aussie Disc somewhere...

The MIB discs I own are: The Blood Brothers, Shaolin Temple, 12 Gold Medallions, The Water Margin. I don't own any Siren DVDs.

I do have Blu Ray but I think I'd rather own a progressive DVD than an interlaced BD.

I'll take proper HD (720p, 1080i/p) over SD anytime... every time :laluot_03:

Seriously, though, I am almost 100% positive that the blu-ray will look better than any of the DVD versions out there. I only compared it to the IVL DVD and it kicked the living hell out of that.

Killer Meteor

Go with the Siren.

Don't forget Ronin, the IVLs are all PAL-NTSC so they look worse then a dvd should.

Go with the Siren.

Don't forget Ronin, the IVLs are all PAL-NTSC so they look worse then a dvd should.

I know, that is why I will "upgrade" any of my IVL DVDs if given the chance. Still think the blu-ray is going to be superior to any of the DVDs out there. It can also be had for under $20 and is playable on Region A & B players.

Guest Markgway

Does an interlaced BD suffer the same ghosting as an interlaced DVD? I sometimes find ghosting quite noticeable and distracting.

Does an interlaced BD suffer the same ghosting as an interlaced DVD? I sometimes find ghosting quite noticeable and distracting.

Haven't noticed any ghosting on any of the 1080i blu-rays I own. They all look solid.

nowadays good deinterlacers can hide everything if it's proper Speed fitting the fps. only the lousy PAL NTSC or vice versa conversions can't be saved.

i'm pretty sure the Well Go Blu of WEB is a tad better than any DVD, but it's far beyond what's possible mostly due to excessive DNR applied. no idea abou the Audio Remix though on this one, didn't check when i had it here.

for example i have the interlaced JP blurays for all Gamera (60s) Movies here and if deinterlaced correctly they look very good, with Grain intact and very sharp. But as said, DNR-Desasters can destroy everything HD was made for...

Guest Markgway

Just watched the Well Go BD of The Web of Death...

My player automatically upscaled the 1080i image to 1080p.

I didn't notice any ghosting even though the source is a PAL converted master.

Archived