Best movies with a focus on monkey style

paimeifist

All I have really seen that I can think of off the top of my head are Mad Monkey Kung Fu, and Knockabout.

I liked Mad Monkey Kung Fu, but not as much as I thought I would, being a huge Lo Lieh fan.. I felt that the Monkey style was done well, and Lo Lieh played his role great(he really seemed like a terrible person, haha), but the movie felt too long. I would give it a 7/10 over all.

Knockabout...classic movie, one of my favorites, but not enough monkey style.. I want to see a movie that focuses on it!

Suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlackLamaFaction

Iron Monkey (School of Shaolin). This is the 1977 Chen Kuan Tai film, not the Woo Ping Yuen film from the 90's. Great cast: Leung Kar Yan, Chi Kuan Chun, Tong Wai Shing, etc. Awesome revenge story and a decent demonstration of Monkey Fist.

You might want to check out the other Shaw flick - "Monkey Kung Fu" (without the "Mad"), which is an excellent movie (John Lo Mar directs).

Both mentioned above are very good Monkey Kung Fu (Shaws) and Iron Monkey with Chen Kuan Tai, one of the few films where you see him use the style he actually trained in.

There is also some Monkey style seen in Five Superfighters although its not mentioned by name.

Big Boss of Shanghai-Chen Kuan Tai performs excellent Tai Sing Pek Kwa Moon Cum Na Sao (Monkey style chin na) also Tough Guy/Iron Monkey Strikes Back has Chen do some serious, and genuine, monkey style shapes work. Snake in the Monkeys Shadow, Chen's si-hing Pomson Shi shows John Chang some nice Monkey boxing too...

Yen Shi-Kwan did some heavy monkey work in kid from kwantung and showed some good techniques pity hwangs boot put a stop that in seconds :wink:

odioustrident

Kung Fu Genius has to be mentioned here as well. I feel like the Cliff Lok - Hsiao Ho exchange is highlighting some conceptual stuff that is beyond my knowledge. Anyone care to shed any light on this?

Is Pomson Shi doing a little monkey handwork in Two in Black Belt? Can't remember.

Drunken Monk

Having just watched "Knockabout" two nights ok, I'd forgotten that there is a semi-large focus on monkey boxing in it. Great choreography too, if a little silly in places.

Monkey fist and duel of the 7 tigers feature Chan Sau Chung the grand master of Tai Sheng Pek Kwa

other gooduns:

Iron monkey

Invincible monkey fist

big boss of shanghai

monkey fist floating snake

all the above are Tai Sheng Pek kwar based

Monkey kung fu- shaws- is Gibbon based Tung Bei fsit- it's one of the best shaws fims for shapes

silver hermit
Monkey fist and duel of the 7 tigers feature Chan Sau Chung the grand master of Tai Sheng Pek Kwa

other gooduns:

Iron monkey

Invincible monkey fist

big boss of shanghai

monkey fist floating snake

all the above are Tai Sheng Pek kwar based

Monkey kung fu- shaws- is Gibbon based Tung Bei fsit- it's one of the best shaws fims for shapes

out of danger showed a bit of Gibbon based set as well.

Oh, Sammo does a great monkey bit in Spooky Encounters.

Yes. And in part 2 he has a good fight with a guy possessed by a monkey. Only brief, but good.

Archived