Shaw Brothers in HD - All releases

Oily Maniac

Oily Maniac

This is a collection of all the Shaws released worldwide in HD:

Shaw Blu-Rays:

Hong Kong:

Behind the yellow Line (Code A, engl. subs)

I love Hong Kong (codefree, engl. subs, great PQ)

The Kingdom and the Beauty (Code A, engl. subs)

The Love Eterne (Code A, engl. subs)

The three Smiles (Code A, engl, subs)

Taiwan:

One Armed Swordsman (Code A, engl. subs)

Return of the One Armed Swordsman (Code A, engl. subs)

New One Armed Swordsman (Code A engl. subs)

USA:

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Five Deadly Venoms

Deadly Duo

Heroes Two

Opium and the Kung Fu Master

Brother's Five

The Heroic Ones

The Delightful Forest

All Men Are Brothers

Web of Death

Five Element Ninja

Poland:

14 Amazons (Code B, no engl. subs, no grain but good PQ, right framerate and original mono audio)

7 Man Army (Code B, no engl. subs, no grain but good PQ, right framerate and original mono audio)

France:

36 Chambers Trilogy

Germany:

36 Chambers Trilogy

Please comment with infos about picture quality and use of original audio and region code.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the list. Shame the Poland releases do not have English subs.

You missed 5 Element Ninjas from the USA list.

I have heard that the One Armed Swordsman discs from Taiwan are ALL region?

Many Shaws under the Well-go lable are interlaced and possibly upscaled, but the Media Blasters discs are all solid, with the first release of Deadly Duo being the weakest of the bunch however still a considerable improvement IIRC. Opium and the Kung Fu Master looked great in HD and has only Mandarin mono; I'm not sure if that's to be preferred in this case. And don't forget that The 36th Chamber of Shaolin's Dragon Dynasty Blu-ray is an absolute doozy and should be avoided at all costs. Their DVD looked much better; the story I read somewhere was that they used a different authoring house or something and they completely botched it.

The taiwanese OAS-trilogy is Region A.

no. they're Region ALL. they play on my B-locked PS3. other HK Blurays won't play on that PS3, because they're locked to A.

no. they're Region ALL. they play on my B-locked PS3. other HK Blurays won't play on that PS3, because they're locked to A.

oh okay, i just looked on the cover....i have a regionfree player... such inapplicable descriptions on the cover can scare off international customers...

Many Shaws under the Well-go lable are interlaced and possibly upscaled, but the Media Blasters discs are all solid, with the first release of Deadly Duo being the weakest of the bunch however still a considerable improvement IIRC. Opium and the Kung Fu Master looked great in HD and has only Mandarin mono; I'm not sure if that's to be preferred in this case. And don't forget that The 36th Chamber of Shaolin's Dragon Dynasty Blu-ray is an absolute doozy and should be avoided at all costs. Their DVD looked much better; the story I read somewhere was that they used a different authoring house or something and they completely botched it.

I understand your point.. Luckily, I've a really nice LED HDTV that masks these problems. It's not as noticeable, however there is a distinction between the DVD and BR. All in all, for a person who has watched these films on washed out, 3rd & 4th generation VHS TAPES, they're GLASS!

I understand your point.. Luckily, I've a really nice LED HDTV that masks these problems. It's not as noticeable, however there is a distinction between the DVD and BR. All in all, for a person who has watched these films on washed out, 3rd & 4th generation VHS TAPES, they're GLASS!

In a thread dedicated to Blu-ray, a format that exists ostensibly for high definition content, I think it's relevant to distinguish titles that are and are not high definition. Especially when higher MSRP and double-dipping comes into the equation, the facts should neither be glossed over nor apologised for.

Nonetheless, if anyone is forgiving enough to the point that a distinction between standard and high definition is trivial, I would encourage them to disregard everything I say and continue unphased.

@ John

I wonder if you’ve ever compared the Well Go BD’s of DELIGHTFUL FOREST or THE HEROIC ONES with their earlier DVD counterparts? No, the BD’s are not of the same quality as the MB ones or OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER, but the difference to the DVD’s is quite striking. Strinking enough for me to recommend “double-dipping”, at least if you love those films. Dunno if pointing this out makes me too “forgiving” of the distinction between SD and “true” HD, though…

Guest Markgway

The distinction between genuine HD and upscales (and a genuine HD disc's transfer/encoding flaws) are always worth pointing out. If only in case someone missed them in prior discussion. There's so much bullshit out there that we need as much reliable information as possible. The quality of the films themselves is utterly irrelevant in this regard. No more "the quality is shit, but if you like the film...". Let's just assume we like these films and put that issue to one side. It's up to the individual if they choose to ignore the evidence and purchase discs which some may consider below par. But what is important is that the evidence is presented so we can make an informed choice.

Originally Posted by Markgway

The distinction between genuine HD and upscales (and a genuine HD disc's transfer/encoding flaws) are always worth pointing out. If only in case someone missed them in prior discussion. There's so much bullshit out there that we need as much reliable information as possible. The quality of the films themselves is utterly irrelevant in this regard.

Well, the quality of the films is utterly RELEVANT if I decide to part with my money (or “double-dip) because I simply want to make a choice between the best and the second-best version out there on the market. The sad fact that this existing “best version” is most likely only “fake HD” then becomes a mere afterthought.

Of course its important to make the distinction between SD and HD clear time & time again, to point to “reference material” and to help people to make informed choices. But what I hate is endless bitching about the horrors of “upconverts” in the “stay clear of this!” vein, not offering any alternatives and declaring everybody who still decides to purchase those discs a moron or worse.

@Sheng: You're right, I don't remember if any were actually upscales. Now, beating out an IVL disc isn't exactly the challenge of the century, but compared to the Well Go I'll definitely give it to you - it looks better. The weird thing is that so much the fine detail that should come with what appears to be an HD source is eschewed with all but the barest hints of grain. These titles actually got a German release under MiB with Mandarin mono and English subs. Experience with the lable tells me that they might'nt be all that impressive either, BUT they'd at least be without ghosting and probably progressive in addition to looking a little more filmic, perhaps. Along with the releases from Siren, TF1, and Kadokawa (for 'Brothers), these are all probably just as good if not better in the A/V dept. all because somebody somewhere decided "film grain bad! DNR!". Ironic that the disc's lost potential should be more tragic than its contents! :P

I can see where you're coming from; if the last copy of x on earth was a disappointing mess it'd still be better than nothing. However, most of the time there usually is a better alternative to a DNR'd disc, BD or whatever. That's the one advantage of several different DVD markets. Also keep in mind you're talking to possibly the only person in Canada with an Eastern Condors Hartbox on his shelf; I take this shit seriously! :nerd:

@ John

I dunno if we misunderstood each other but my comparism was between Well Go BD’s and their DVD’s. IVL is a different matter. I do not own any of their Blu Rays. As for the german MiB DVD titles, having seen most I disagree that it’s an iron rule that they generally look better than the IVL. Half a dozen do if I remember correctly, but a lot of them do not, plus there were issues such as out-of-sync subs with some of their titles. And regarding IVL, in all fairness it must be said that PQ improved substantially from, like, 2005 on.

Regarding "upscale" BD's... I’m afraid, for a lot the more “obscure” or less widely known (by Western standards) catalogue titles that the likes of K & R issued over the last year there simply aren’t any better alternatives – and I’m pessimistic enough to seriously doubt that we’ll ever see any! I mean, can you imagine Blu Ray issues by any Western company for titles like THE LUNATICS, JIANG HU, MY FATHER IS A HERO, FINAL JUDGEMENT, SHANGHAI GRAND, THE LEGEND OF WISELY, BROTHERHOOD (aka CODE OF HONOUR), LONG ARM OF THE LAW, LA BRASSIERE, YOU SHOOT, I SHOOT ??? I definitely can't. And that list isn't complete…

BTW, just like you I’m also prone to search out obscure (and sometimes costly) options if they promise an upgrade to what I already own. That’s why my EASTERN CONDORS hardbox is rubbing shoulders with the ol’ HKL on the shelve… :nerd::nerd::nerd:

Don't forget the sound also. I sold my Heroic Ones Blu ray because it still had the awful 5.1 with added sound fx down-mixed (it said mono on the cover). I compared it to my UK dvd which is original mono and the difference is striking, the added sounds stand out like a sore thumb.

I'm not a super audio or videophile and don't know the technical details that many of you guys do, but the two Shaw blu rays I have are Five Venoms and The Deadly Duo. To me, these both look and sound perfect. I always thought Deadly Duo was one of the sharpest prints that IVL put out on DVD anyways, but they added that absolutely, mind-blowingly awful Casio keyboard to "enhance" the original score. That's been removed on the blu ray, and the picture looks amazing, IMO.

Guest Markgway
Well, the quality of the films is utterly RELEVANT if I decide to part with my money (or “double-dip) because I simply want to make a choice between the best and the second-best version out there on the market.

What I meant, in case I wasn't clear, is that we should assume that if we're talking about these films in regards to BD we already know and like them, and wish to find the best editions available. I'm not arguing that point. I do have many DVDs myself I'm not happy with because that's all there is currently. I know where you're coming from... I just think saying "this is poor quality, but if you like the film" can be a distraction. If I didn't like the film I probably wouldn't be talking about it.

@Sheng: Haha, Long Arm of the Law...more like atrophed arm of the law. I refuse to believe any officers passed basic training in that film.:tongue: I can at least appreciate the original mono on my MiBs, artifacing nonewithstanding! Your point about Well Go's legibility stands, but the Siren or TF1s or that Kadokawa are potentially good DVDs, and they'd probably be a better alternative to Well Go's offerings A/V-wise.

The Life Gamble blu-ray was never released. The Well Go blu-rays are certainly not the best SB blus out there, but I am almost positive that they are not upscales. I have Web of Death and Brothers Five and they both look quite good.

The Life Gamble blu-ray was never released. The Well Go blu-rays are certainly not the best SB blus out there, but I am almost positive that they are not upscales. I have Web of Death and Brothers Five and they both look quite good.

I take it back; I said that in complete ignorance. They're just DNR'd.

I take it back; I said that in complete ignorance. They're just DNR'd.

Yeah, it looks like there may have been some DNR applied to these transfers, but I get the feeling that is coming from Celestial and not Well Go.

waywardsage

Can we sticky this thread in the blue area? It's be nice to update it when Blu's come out so we all have a common reference area.

Archived