Which is Your Favorite? - 'The Challenger' (1979) or 'The Loot' (1980)

One Armed Boxer

Which is your favorite, 'The Challenger' (1979) or 'The Loot' (1980)?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite, 'The Challenger' (1979) or 'The Loot' (1980)?

• The Challenger
    • The Loot

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through watching these two movies, and instantly regretted sitting on them for so long....they successfully managed to remind me of why I got into kung-fu movies in the first place...for that sense of awe of how a fight scene can be so intricately choreographed to such a high level, these movies are close to perfect.

I think the reason why I enjoyed them so much is not only because of the fight scenes, but because director Eric Tsang managed to put together a decent story, likable characters, humor which actually raises a laugh, and some very smart camera work outside of the fight scenes themselves. It makes me wish Tsang directed kung-fu movies a lot more than he did.

Of course anchoring both movies are David Chiang, Norman Chu, & Philip Ko Fei. Special mention has to go to Ko Fei, as he lights up the screen whenever he's on it with shapes that are performed with such speed and precision that it's impossible to take your eyes off the screen whenever he's on it.

So the question is, which is your favorite and why? I'm going to go with 'The Loot', I think it just edges 'The Challenger' in most departments - quality of fighting (what a finale!), directorial style, characters, and plot. I was wondering what other peoples thoughts on here are....

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recently got through watching these two movies, and instantly regretted sitting on them for so long....they successfully managed to remind me of why I got into kung-fu movies in the first place...for that sense of awe of how a fight scene can be so intricately choreographed to such a high level, these movies are close to perfect.

I think the reason why I enjoyed them so much is not only because of the fight scenes, but because director Eric Tsang managed to put together a decent story, likable characters, humor which actually raises a laugh, and some very smart camera work outside of the fight scenes themselves. It makes me wish Tsang directed kung-fu movies a lot more than he did.

Of course anchoring both movies are David Chiang, Norman Chu, & Philip Ko Fei. Special mention has to go to Ko Fei, as he lights up the screen whenever he's on it with shapes that are performed with such speed and precision that it's impossible to take your eyes off the screen whenever he's on it.

So the question is, which is your favorite and why? I'm going to go with 'The Loot', I think it just edges 'The Challenger' in most departments - quality of fighting (what a finale!), directorial style, characters, and plot. I was wondering what other peoples thoughts on here are....

I am in complete agreement OAB....both were excellent, love watching them every time. Phillip Ko is, by far, one of the most entertaining people to watch in KF cinema...I just love the guy.

Morgoth Bauglir

The Loot is the better overall movie, it seems they took more time with it. But The Challenger is my favorite. The final fight in The Loot doesn't come close to matching the intensity and choreography in The Challenger.

Drunken Monk

I bought these both a while back and have only watched them once. I think I preferred "The Loot" but may have to have a revisiting session to be sure.

Both are in my top 10, but overall, The Loot is a funnier, more coherent movie with slightly better fights throughout. However, although the end fight in The Loot is amazing, the final showdown in The Challenger surpasses it, if only slightly. Tough call though. On a side note, being able to see Philip Ko play a character that isn't supposed to be twice his age in The Loot is actually kind of refreshing. He probably went to sleep with age make-up and a white wig thoughout most of his career.

Always mention these in the same breath both contain some of the highest level choreography ever- on par with the likes of Buddhist Fist, The Victim etc and prove that movies like this are VERY hard to make.

For me its hard to pick between them but I think the Challenger gets to the points a bit quicker (and of course it includes that silent comedy bit which still cracks me up)

This is a hard one for me as I think both are very, very good! But I would have to go with The Challenger, that end fight just about gives it the edge over The Loot,

Bless

I always liked The Loot, I purchased The Challenger because I knew it was by the same team, but I only saw some of it before someone took my Vengeance release and never returned it. Although the picture quality was a big factor, The Loot looks to be better made overall, but then I really need to see The Challenger properly.

Eastern Evil

I am sitting on both films and will have to watch now as this thread has made me curious.

Should be a nice double feature - after a Rangers victory tonight.....

:crossedlips:

Archived