The state of classic martial arts film distributors?

waywardsage

So whats up with Dragon Dynasty. I was at the store yesterday. I see double and triple features. Think to myself hell yeah. I check the website they dont have any info on em or release dates as to when they came out or when more will be coming out. Whats really goin on.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
So whats up with Dragon Dynasty. I was at the store yesterday. I see double and triple features. Think to myself hell yeah. I check the website they dont have any info on em or release dates as to when they came out or when more will be coming out. Whats really goin on.

From memory, Weinstein is in trouble anyway, and I think they're basically not bothering with Dragon Dynasty.

Killer Meteor
hopefully other distributors will carry on releasing their titles through licence.

I think the Shaws options may be exhausted now.

blue_skies
I think the Shaws options may be exhausted now.

maybe:squigglemouth:

well whatever happens I'm just glad I managed to see/get what I have before they vanished completely. If it wasn't for Kingofkungfu2002 and his generosity I would still be blissfully unaware of the gems out there

here's 3 Comparisons for LEGEND Laserdisc and HKL Overlay.

as you can see, the Original Widescreen 2.35 Composition on HKL is totally destroyed by scanning to a Side of the Image.

especially the one with the pupils is a bad joke as it's not centered correctly.

bf4e40189833796.jpg 676244189833807.jpg 5e6dcc189833818.jpg

Amazing! I never knew there was a laserdisc copy of "Legend of a Fighter" and it seems it's a theatrical subtitled print. I did saw a full screen copy of the movie with burnt-in-subtitles here on China TV a few years ago. Please tell us more. I'm dying to know.

Michael

Killer Meteor
Amazing! I never knew there was a laserdisc copy of "Legend of a Fighter" and it seems it's a theatrical subtitled print. I did saw a full screen copy of the movie with burnt-in-subtitles here on China TV a few years ago. Please tell us more. I'm dying to know.

Michael

I wonder if this laserdisc or the tv print has the fight between Leung Kar Yan and the Russian fencer. You can see it on the Mandarin theatrical trailer, but not on HKL's DVD at least.

waywardsage
From memory, Weinstein is in trouble anyway, and I think they're basically not bothering with Dragon Dynasty.

This is what I thought/heard. But more recently, I heard they were doubling down on Asian film investment. Which seem's completely counter intuitive.

I just wished Cine Asia in the UK would expand distribution to the USA. They're pretty much as good as it gets for legit releases in the western world.

blue_skies

I just wished Cine Asia in the UK would expand distribution to the USA. They're pretty much as good as it gets for legit releases in the western world.

I just wish they would release more older titles:squigglemouth:

waywardsage

From all the labels I've contacted, they seem to only be interested in releasing brand new stuff. To them, nobody watches the older films. So until this changes, or someone in charge guides things back to classic releases, we'll be stranded for now unfortunately.

blue_skies
From all the labels I've contacted, they seem to only be interested in releasing brand new stuff. To them, nobody watches the older films. So until this changes, or someone in charge guides things back to classic releases, we'll be stranded for now unfortunately.

that's a terrible shame especially since there is very little quality being released right now.:squigglemouth:

daisho2004

It's like I said the classic SB movies are not as favorable as they were when we were younger. I still love the English Dubbed of all those movies! But you're right the Bootleggers did mess up a lot of these movies. I would pay for all those movies on BR all region! But I do want both audio tracks on there as well. Look at DVD sales today a new release BR is around $20+ in a few months they drop to almost half of that. Celestial I think messed everyone up by buying up the rights and only making it region 2 or something like that. DD did a good job and certain classic SB movies have made it to BR. And to be honest I think for once I'm going to give credit to where its do, and that is to Quintin Tarantino. He is a huge SB fan and he has pushed for these classic movies on BR. But I don't see any company going out of there way to remaster these movies and put all of them on BR its not in there profit margin.

Archived