ARC ENT, possible, maybe??

tokenganjaclan

Killer Meteor

I don't wish to seem to be a blind devotee to Celestial - they've done a lot of good on the whole, but do seem a bit suspect when it comes to bona fide restoration.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks! Just the confirmation I needed

What's the story on All Men Are Brothers? If the HK version was "shorter", where did the restored footage (with new foley) come from?

they DID try to restore this one, based on the scenes which were colour-tinted back then. the movie had serious censorship-trouble back then when it was supposed to come out. it seems it's the first full-scale butchered movie coming from Shaw-Brothers. Germany had the raw uncut Materials back then but cut it themselves.

so celestial just looked at the b/w footage and found out that it was not only-colour-censored, but also had huge chunks cut out. they restored that stuff, even had to dub it completely, as they seemingly did not even have audio recording of it anymore. BUT they did not bother to check the whole rest of the remaining movie - which was NOT colour-censored, but just plain CUT. that's why the Celestial Restoration is only half-way.... they just did not know there's so much more missing. Proof is of course the German Print, which has lots of the Stuff which is missing everywhere else - but still with huge Censor Cuts in it... a sad story.

so yes, ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS is a unique Movie in its status - it's a prime example of Censorship in HK and what remains 40 Years after.

after the 1971 / 1972 Violence Craze from HK things went way downhill for a few years. see the censored Chang Cheh Movies with their Red / b-w-tinted Action Scenes....

of course NOAS is the same Version. the HD Masters are never longer, they're often SHORTER than the SD Versions (RETURN TO 36TH CHAMBER for example has an ADDITIONAL 2 mins of framecuts compared to the SD Version on HK DVD)

they stopped destroying the Movies in the last year of Remastering. Movies like FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS or KILLER CONSTABLE are missing "only" 1-2 Minutes of Frames instead of the usual 3-4.

Killer Meteor
of course NOAS is the same Version. the HD Masters are never longer, they're often SHORTER than the SD Versions (RETURN TO 36TH CHAMBER for example has an ADDITIONAL 2 mins of framecuts compared to the SD Version on HK DVD)

they stopped destroying the Movies in the last year of Remastering. Movies like FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS or KILLER CONSTABLE are missing "only" 1-2 Minutes of Frames instead of the usual 3-4.

I feel films like CHINESE BOXER and KING BOXER suffer badly from frame cuts because they had rapid cutting to begin with. Look at the crash/zoom cutting to Lo Lieh's face in the former during the teahouse scene, it's weird now.

Killer Meteor

after the 1971 / 1972 Violence Craze from HK things went way downhill for a few years. see the censored Chang Cheh Movies with their Red / b-w-tinted Action Scenes....

One Armed Boxer (not a Shaw but bear with me...) is a famous case of the film being cut in HK. On the Chinese track, you can even hear the jumps...

Now Fortune Star does have longer prints of some of the films, and in some cases have only released the longer version of say, Man Called Tiger, on vcd due to the old theatrical subs. The DVD is a shorter print without theatrical subs, possibly the same as the English dub?

This makes me wonder if prints, rather than negatives, may exist in studio vaults for uncut versions of things like Big Boss, One Armed Boxer, All Men Are Brothers but no-one bothers to use them for dvds because of the subs or print dammage. Of course, it's probably more likely they ended up as landfill...

yesi know about ONE-ARMED BOXER, it's my most sought after Uncut-Movie. i don't care for BIG BOSS (really!), i'd rather have an uncut BOXER. it's cut to shreds. and yes, the old Mandarin Audio (not the horrid 5.1 from Fortune Star) can tell you all the censor cuts on the audio track. and yes, MAN CALLED TIGER fits with the English Dub with the shorter DVD Edition.

Archived