Are the Tokyo Shock Shaws done for?

waywardsage

Richard York
I was wondering if you might happen to know if the Tokyo Shock crew knew beforehand that all the English dubs would be obtainable in the 2nd batch of releases? Or was it more of a thing were the guys just focused on one movie at a time and tried to add as many features to the disc as possible when the time came?

The reason I’m asking is because I’m really interested in The Lady is the Boss, which was listed in the 2nd batch. I can’t seem to track down an English dub copy of this anywhere. This title and about 3 dozen other Shaw dubs seem to be lost. Would you happen to have any info on the Lady is the Boss dub, or how you guys were able to acquire some of the dubs you did release on DVD?

Thanks

Celestial provided us a list of materials they had available for each title. Since we dealt with an English-speaking audience, getting English dubs was important. So it was a consideration when selecting titles. In the case of BLACK MAGIC 2, it was a title we were especially interested in, but Celestial did not have or otherwise provide an English dub. So we had to pull it from other sources, restore and edit it into the mixes provided. But these days I honestly can't recall the specifics for upcoming titles, including LADY IS THE BOSS and its audio options.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much for the info and taking the time to answer our questions :bigsmile:

It's nice to have someone here that has so much insight.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Yes, I want to reiterate Pai Mei's gratitude. Thank you Richard. Great info. Really appreciate that.

Richard York
Thanks so much for the info and taking the time to answer our questions :bigsmile:

It's nice to have someone here that has so much insight.

I'm happy to answer any questions I might have an answer for (which would namely be about the first 11 DVDs and the first 2 blu-rays). Of all the stuff I worked on at MB, I'm most proud of the Shaw Brothers releases.

Richard, I gotta say the Heroes Two blu ray is one of my absolute favorite blu rays. Everything came out excellent. I wish they all got that treatment.

James

Richard York
Richard, I gotta say the Heroes Two blu ray is one of my absolute favorite blu rays. Everything came out excellent. I wish they all got that treatment.

James

I appreciate that, especially since HEROES TWO was a major heartache. HEROES TWO was our first Shaw release and I was stressing to make it perfect. And when I was informed of Linn Haynes' death, it added additional urgency. So I was especially upset when we fell short on a couple aspects of the DVD (we failed to make it progressive scan despite our efforts at the time, we omitted a couple of extras that I wished we hadn't, we weren't able to get Linn's name on the packaging because we did not get Celestial's approval in time, etc.). With the blu-ray, I was afforded the opportunity to correct all those things and more. Glad I was able to make that happen before I left. Major closure for me, and hopefully for fans and Linn's legacy.

Thanks for all your efforts Richard. Monica and I haven't purchased the BR yet but we have the original release permanently placed next to our TV. We were really hoping to have Chen Kuan Tai sign it for us when he came to Florida last year but our travel plans fell through.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. We definitely need to seek out the BR disc.

With the blu-ray, I was afforded the opportunity to correct all those things and more. Glad I was able to make that happen before I left. Major closure for me, and hopefully for fans and Linn's legacy.

Chalk up another bit of appreciation from me in regards to Heroes Two. It's still one of the best looking Shaw Brothers blu-rays I've seen yet!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I appreciate that, especially since HEROES TWO was a major heartache. HEROES TWO was our first Shaw release and I was stressing to make it perfect. And when I was informed of Linn Haynes' death, it added additional urgency. So I was especially upset when we fell short on a couple aspects of the DVD (we failed to make it progressive scan despite our efforts at the time, we omitted a couple of extras that I wished we hadn't, we weren't able to get Linn's name on the packaging because we did not get Celestial's approval in time, etc.). With the blu-ray, I was afforded the opportunity to correct all those things and more. Glad I was able to make that happen before I left. Major closure for me, and hopefully for fans and Linn's legacy.

After reading this, I will definitely upgrade to the BD (it'll be my first SB BD). It'd be worth the upgrade just to have Linn's name on the packaging.

I agree with everyone that the HEROES TWO DVD is fantastic and you definitely should be proud of it Richard. :bigsmile: I enjoy Linn's commentary so much, but honestly, I do tear up each time I listen to it. Especially when he mentions things he had planned for "future commentaries". :sad: I barely got to know him personally, but he made a huge, and wonderful impression on me. In fact, whenever I'm drawing or painting something Asian cinema related I always think "I wish I could show this to Linn and see what he thinks". He won't ever be forgotten.

Guest Markgway

I too felt a sense of sadness listening to Linn's commentary. Despite the bittersweet experience I felt I owed it to him to listen to the whole track. The 'future' remarks did give me a lump in the throat. I only knew Linn via forum and PM/email but his knowledge and generosity made an impact on me.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I too felt a sense of sadness listening to Linn's commentary. Despite the bittersweet experience I felt I owed it to him to listen to the whole track. The 'future' remarks did give me a lump in the throat. I only knew Linn via forum and PM/email but his knowledge and generosity made an impact on me.

Markgway, after only knowing of Linn in the same way you did, though he seemed pleasant, I wondered if in person he might be a bit smarmy, or full of himself with all of his vast genre knowledge. That couldn't have been further from the truth. He was warm, enthusiastic, generous, extremely polite, and seemed completely without ego. A "Southern gentleman" was how I described him later to my wife. :wink:

I ordered my copy of HEROES TWO on Blu-Ray.

I ordered my copy of HEROES TWO on Blu-Ray.

I can easily say you won't regret it, even if you already have the DVD. It's definitely the best "complete package" Shaw Brothers blu-ray out there, in that not only does it have beautiful HD video (no upconverts, PAL-to-NTSC issues, etc, real-deal 1080p!) but all of the wonderful extras too.

Archived