Are the Tokyo Shock Shaws done for?

waywardsage

Killer Meteor
i don't think they plan ANY old Martial Arts Movies. more likely modern Stuff for today's audiences...

But give a flick a misleading enough cover and you could fool Joe and Ethel into thinking Masked Avengers is the latest wu xia fresh off the boat!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DD tried it and failed miserably :D

now they repack the overstock in 4-DVD packs to get rid of them... it's all dead :(

now they repack the overstock in 4-DVD packs to get rid of them... it's all dead :(

they tried it with which movies though?

Killer Meteor

I think all the US companies/and or Celestial missed the boat. If these had come out in 2003/2004 on the back of Kill Bill, as did the samurai releases, they may have had a chance. I do wonder what keeps Animego going whilst the other companies flounder.

they tried it with which movies though?

every single one of their laughable fake photoshop covers are all made to appeal to modern kidz audiences

waywardsage

When I contacted Animeigo to invited one of their reps to our forum they replied curtly with this:

I will create an account on the site and reply, but there are a zillion sites out there and only a few of us.

We are very responsive to
-- it goes direct to me, btw.

Best,

R

He hasn't to the best of my knowledge. It's astonishing that companies are so insulated and won't participate with their fans online. I mean...look at Animeigo's site! I love their releases to death..but come on! I could help create a better sit than that. They also don't participate in ANY social media.

It's not surprising that these companies have failed, it's surprising that they've lasted this long in the first place. With such a niche audience you have to be constantly promoting and getting attention. You have to get your fanbase interested. Say what you will, but look at Well Go's transformation. They went from being a laughing stock with a 90's looking website to the premiere distributer left in the USA.

I was under the impression Animeigo was a super-small company. It could just be that one person handling this area, so while they're a little standoffish I guess they don't want to give something they don't have.

masterofoneinchpunch
I was under the impression Animeigo was a super-small company. It could just be that one person handling this area, so while they're a little standoffish I guess they don't want to give something they don't have.

And it makes sense. When you are small it is easier for people to come to them then for them to go to the people. So better use of social media would also help out a small company like Animeigo, but it is hard to post to a lot of forums unless you have a dedicated worker or department.

Now I do see some small labels go out to particular forums and post. The owner of Milestone always posts at criterionforum.org for example.

waywardsage

I contacted Media Blasters on their facebook page. This was their response:

Media Blasters:

We do care and we do like shaw brother films. It is just at this point it seems that most of the major shaw brother films have been released. If we are wrong let us know and happy to go back to them.

If you can, I would suggest telling them they're wrong on their FB page. List films you want! Convince them otherwise!

That certainly seemed like an optimal time to strike. When I think of where we were, even just a decade ago, we certainly have seen quite a bounty of films though.

I think all the US companies/and or Celestial missed the boat. If these had come out in 2003/2004 on the back of Kill Bill, as did the samurai releases, they may have had a chance. I do wonder what keeps Animego going whilst the other companies flounder.

MB alum (Richard and Carl) have both been to this forum in the past. They have certainly listened to what the fans have had to say. I wonder, does anyone have any idea on how many units a product MB needs to sell to be deemed profitable? We are such a small niche (compared to Anime fans for example) and I'm pretty sure they take that into consideration before releasing any film.

I contacted Media Blasters on their facebook page. This was their response:

Media Blasters:

We do care and we do like shaw brother films. It is just at this point it seems that most of the major shaw brother films have been released. If we are wrong let us know and happy to go back to them.

If you can, I would suggest telling them they're wrong on their FB page. List films you want! Convince them otherwise!

That certainly seemed like an optimal time to strike. When I think of where we were, even just a decade ago, we certainly have seen quite a bounty of films though.

MB alum (Richard and Carl) have both been to this forum in the past. They have certainly listened to what the fans have had to say. I wonder, does anyone have any idea on how many units a product MB needs to sell to be deemed profitable? We are such a small niche (compared to Anime fans for example) and I'm pretty sure they take that into consideration before releasing any film.

I'd be fascinated to know how many Shaw Bros DVDs of a particular movie are produced and sold

Just watched Tokyo Shocks "Gallants" with commentary and Bey Logan from June last year.

In it he mentions "Chinatown Kid" and says "which is coming soon from Media Blasters..."

Maybe jettisoned plans now but perked my ears up nonetheless...

waywardsage
Just watched Tokyo Shocks "Gallants" with commentary and Bey Logan from June last year.

In it he mentions "Chinatown Kid" and says "which is coming soon from Media Blasters..."

Maybe jettisoned plans now but perked my ears up nonetheless...

Which film was this mentioned in? What's the full name?

Killer Meteor

I do remember Media Blasters still having rights to

Magnificent Ruffians

Rebel Intruders

Brave Archer 2

Brave Archer 3

Masked Avengers

Lady Is The Boss

Chinatown Kid

In the Bey Logan Commentary on the R1 DVD of "Gallants" (Tokyo Shock)

Chinatown Kid is easily the one we all want most. It was like how in the previous wave, the final film was Five Elements Ninjas, in this case, it's CK.

Of course, as MB/TS is known for cutting corners these days, we probably won't see them with an uncut version, but probably only the current "happier ending" cut. Then again, if they release it at all within the next 5 years, it'll be a miracle.

Then again, they may have a booth again at this year's Otakon... might have to interrogate them.

waywardsage
Chinatown Kid is easily the one we all want most. It was like how in the previous wave, the final film was Five Elements Ninjas, in this case, it's CK.

Of course, as MB/TS is known for cutting corners these days, we probably won't see them with an uncut version, but probably only the current "happier ending" cut. Then again, if they release it at all within the next 5 years, it'll be a miracle.

Then again, they may have a booth again at this year's Otakon... might have to interrogate them.

Let us know if you find out anything. I messaged them on their facebook page and they said they were putting all Shaws on permanent hiatus.

Everytime I see them post on facebook about anything I'm gonna be there just to annoy the shit out of them. When they brag about their newest Robo-Geisha-Ninja-Prostitute-Girl movie I'll be there saying, "Where's my Shaw Brothers releases? Who cares about your other shit releases?" (excluding Goyokin and Matango. Those movies are awesome.)

James

The Silver Fox

Please. They are going to release what sells and if that happens to be Japanese spatter films then that's what they're going to push. I happen to like those films so I'm glad Tokyo Shock is getting them out there.

If I was working for Tokyo Shock and thinking of releasing more Shaw Bros dvd's and I happened to take a look on these forums, I would ditch that idea very quickly.

It would not make business sense to dump multiple thousands of dollars into a release that like,30-40 people would buy-and of those probably half would be complaining about the disc. Screw that.

Frankly,I couldn't care less whether they release any more Shaws because I have the IVL's that they have rights too and I've got the ones I want. I don't know why people are so enthralled with Chinatown Kid, it really is a mediocre film and a couple of minutes of extra footage ain't gonna change that.

I agree about Chinatown Kid. It's over-rated. If They're having issues selling SB movies it's because they released movies like Lion Vs Lion and Iron Bodyguard while leaving popular movies like Masked Avengers for later. It's a battle for shelf space. I say go big early and win the shelf space early. Of the titles they released so far only half are worthy of a purchase. Also, I stand by my comments concerning their Japanese Troma-esque releases. (lol. To each his own.)

James

The Silver Fox

I agree, they should have release Masked Avengers right away. It is kind of a similar film to Five Element Ninjas so I think it would have been a big seller for them. Iron Bodyguards is a stinker, no clue why they bothered releasing that and Lion vs Lion has some great moments but, again a poor choice considering some of the A material that they are sitting on.

My uneducated guess would be that the lower end Shaws were part of a batch deal, and the idea was to occasionally dole out a real winner in between bursts of the lesser titles.

blue_skies
My uneducated guess would be that the lower end Shaws were part of a batch deal, and the idea was to occasionally dole out a real winner in between bursts of the lesser titles.

The problem is I'd guess is that you're killing off the market before it has a chance to develop. If you released the odd mediocre one amongst the A grade titles people will be more forgiving when the next one that they order is a great kung fu movie. However when you're going from mediocre to mediocre to mediocre, at some point people are just going to think it's not worth buying any more.

I do think you're right that the lower end Shaw brother movies were probably part of a batch deal. But I also suspect that those buying the titles didn't have the knowledge of some of the forum members around here when making those choices. Perhaps that was one of the biggest flaws in their business model by not having the real depth of knowledge?

Shaolivevil
The problem is I'd guess is that you're killing off the market before it has a chance to develop. If you released the odd mediocre one amongst the A grade titles people will be more forgiving when the next one that they order is a great kung fu movie. However when you're going from mediocre to mediocre to mediocre, at some point people are just going to think it's not worth buying any more.

I do think you're right that the lower end Shaw brother movies were probably part of a batch deal. But I also suspect that those buying the titles didn't have the knowledge of some of the forum members around here when making those choices. Perhaps that was one of the biggest flaws in their business model by not having the real depth of knowledge?

Ignorance is rampant and the root cause for the mishandling and failure of these movies. It is us, the fans, who truly suffer when this continues to happen and still no one seems to care about these movies or us...

The sad part is they'll probably sit on their un-released titles. It's a shame Kung Fu movies have lost all their momentum that they had in the early part of the last decade.

Archived