Are the Tokyo Shock Shaws done for?

waywardsage

Killer Meteor
I just got some discouraging news...

From Media Blasters:

"We are actually looking at other martial arts titles but none are Shaw Brothers at this time."

:squigglemouth:

Will they release what they already have though - the remaining six or seven?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked if they were planning on releasing other Shaw Brothers releases in the future, and this was their reply:

"Not at this time but that does not mean we will not."

:sad:

Killer Meteor
I asked if they were planning on releasing other Shaw Brothers releases in the future, and this was their reply:

"Not at this time but that does not mean we will not."

:sad:

I'm not sure if that means they'll release the ones we know they have, but thanks for asking!

I'm not sure if that means they'll release the ones we know they have, but thanks for asking!

I took it as meaning they aren't planning on releasing them. The only martial arts movies they are currently planning for are non-Shaw releases.

That really sucks.

Guest Markgway

If MB have already paid for the rights to these Shaw films it would seem crazy NOT to try to recoup partial costs by releasing them in some form - even as limited runs or thru their own website. They earn nothing by sitting on them until nobody cares.

if they make Minus on the currenty released movies, it's much wiser not to releasy ANY titles more at all - why burn money and make even more Minus? that's why no more Kung Fu Movies in Germany are coming out... and they didn't do themself a favour by releasing unknown c-grade Movies like IRON BODYGUARD and LION VS LION. could have told them before they're stinkers.

Killer Meteor
if they make Minus on the currenty released movies, it's much wiser not to releasy ANY titles more at all - why burn money and make even more Minus? that's why no more Kung Fu Movies in Germany are coming out... and they didn't do themself a favour by releasing unknown c-grade Movies like IRON BODYGUARD and LION VS LION. could have told them before they're stinkers.

Speaking of Germany, is Koch Media going to do a followup to their first Shaw box or is that dead in the water?

Yeah, LION VS LION or CHINATOWN KID...sheesh

I know I'm biased in favour of Chang Cheh gore but I'd have preferred the BCI/Funimation lot to drop the likes of Bastard Swordsman and Supreme Swordsman and stick in the Chang Cheh shaolin flicks that have yet to be picked up stateside...Shaolin Martial Arts, Men From The Monastery, New Shaolin Boxers.

Koch are planning a second Box, but you can't compare that. it's licenced by TV Station Tele5 und sublicenced to Koch. TV is a MUCH wider Audience and much more Money involved than a DVD-only Release like the US Companies have to do.if they would only licence them for Disc Release, Koch could never touch a Celestial Licence.

Killer Meteor
Koch are planning a second Box, but you can't compare that. it's licenced by TV Station Tele5 und sublicenced to Koch. TV is a MUCH wider Audience and much more Money involved than a DVD-only Release like the US Companies have to do.if they would only licence them for Disc Release, Koch could never touch a Celestial Licence.

I understand, it was kind of a tangent on my part! Do you have any info on what films were in that package? Be nice if we got some of the Shaw films from later on in the Celestial line, as it seems everyone gets those 2003/2004 titles (Heroic Ones, Heroes Two, Shaolin Handlock, etc) and never picks up the later restorations of the Shaolin cycle, Venoms and other oddities. Heck, if they want my suggestions for a five film set, it would be a kick ass shaolin set with:

Men From The Monastary

Shaolin Martial Arts

Disciples Of Shaolin

Shaolin Avengers

New Shaolin Boxers

or a "basher" collection with

Deadly Knives

Man Of Iron

Thunderbolt Fist

The Delinquent

Bruce Lee And I

or a horror set

Killer Snakes

Black Magic

Boxer's Omen

Seeding of a ghost

I know I'm showing my bias, and it all depends on what they have, what the best chance of selling is, what got a german release back in the day...but I don't mind making suggestions!

they are not english-friendly anyway...

but they could ONLY pick FSK-16 rated Movies due to TV wanting them to show in the 20:00 Hour Slot. Lots of Shaws were of Course 18 plus indexed, so these are a no-go.

and yes, they could pick whatever they wanted. no nonsense like "you must use this package". "packages" are internet rumour. i guess the buyers were always too dumb to hand-pick only good titles or were fooled by Celestial into buying a package. they were never forced onto buyers in Germany.

we even tried to convince them to get THE KILLER. but they didn't because it is 18-Rated in Germany....

of course, nothing anybody needs outside Germany will come out in the Box. Germans will be happy that once again the Original Dubs will be used.

Killer Meteor
they are not english-friendly anyway...

but they could ONLY pick FSK-16 rated Movies due to TV wanting them to show in the 20:00 Hour Slot. Lots of Shaws were of Course 18 plus indexed, so these are a no-go.

and yes, they could pick whatever they wanted. no nonsense like "you must use this package". "packages" are internet rumour. i guess the buyers were always too dumb to hand-pick only good titles or were fooled by Celestial into buying a package. they were never forced onto buyers in Germany.

we even tried to convince them to get THE KILLER. but they didn't because it is 18-Rated in Germany....

of course, nothing anybody needs outside Germany will come out in the Box. Germans will be happy that once again the Original Dubs will be used.

I went for the set because it seems the only way to anamorphic, genuine video standard (PAL in this case), mono discs of Temple Of Red Lotus, Death Duel and The Master. Hopefully, there won't be any unplesant surprises when it arrives...

That said, Two Champions Of Shaolin at 8 in the evening...neat!

yeah, TWO CHAMPIONS got re-rated to FSK-12 even :D

"theatre-like blood, laughable scenes of simulated, unrealistic Fighting"

they are all progressive 16:9 PAL With Original Mono indeed. only a few of the TRAILERS are remixed (what the hell!)...

I was just contacting Media Blaster through Facebook, by sending them messages. If enough people contact them with interest in the Shaw Bros. releases, maybe they'll change their tune?

Can't hurt, anyway.

Killer Meteor
yeah, TWO CHAMPIONS got re-rated to FSK-12 even :D

"theatre-like blood, laughable scenes of simulated, unrealistic Fighting"

they are all progressive 16:9 PAL With Original Mono indeed. only a few of the TRAILERS are remixed (what the hell!)...

Two Champions does have that all-mighty cum shot out of someone's brain/spine...like something out of Legend Of The Overfiend!

Guest Markgway

Hey, I liked Iron Bodyguard! :sad:

MB could surely claw back some loss via limited runs? Find out what the max sales figures have been on past titles and press fewer discs than that. Would that not minimise outlay and risk?

Killer Meteor
Hey, I liked Iron Bodyguard! :sad:

MB could surely claw back some loss via limited runs? Find out what the max sales figures have been on past titles and press fewer discs than that. Would that not minimise outlay and risk?

My preference/advise is: forget the extras, get the films out in two or three packs then it's done, and you've at least justified spending money to get the rights in the first place.

Killer Meteor

IRON BODYGUARD: I like it, but wouldn't have picked it for a re-release. It's a bit too stuffy and the homoromantic/hero worship that runs through Boxer From Shantung and New One Armed Swordsman falls flat here because Yueh Hua seems to have forgotten how to act, and thus Chen Kuan Tai's obbsession looks odd.

That said, I get the impression the film had some influence - the Iron Fist character seems very similar to Iron Robe Yim from Once Upon A Time In China.

Did Chang Cheh actually direct this one?

masterofoneinchpunch
IRON BODYGUARD: ... the homoromantic/hero worship ...

Did Chang Cheh actually direct this one?

I think you answered your question.

I really don’t understand these marketing tactics. If they are hurting for some profits, why would they risk putting out a non-Shaw classic martial arts film. They were already known as THE COMPANY, when it comes to quality Shaw releases. Their only quality competitor was Dragon Dynasty, and in my opinion TS blew them out of the water. They were the only company that routinely had progressive scan transfers and were still adding a few extra features on most discs.

Walking away from the Shaws just seems silly. They would lose their already established Shaw fan-base consumers. And what on earth could be safer than the Shaw catalog from a marketing standpoint. The only thing I can think of is maybe Bruce Lee, when staying in the classic martial arts genre…. And I definitely don’t see that ever happening.

IMHO I think they should continue releasing the Shaws they have the rights to. I’ve been waiting ages to see if they release The Lady is the Boss with the long lost English dub. I don’t mind that it seems that they are focusing more on Blurays. I just wish they were concentrating more on releasing the ones they haven’t released yet, rather than rereleasing the DVDs as Blurays. Can’t they understand that they consumer doesn’t want to double-dip, and when they are forced to they do so with contempt toward the company?

i don't think they plan ANY old Martial Arts Movies. more likely modern Stuff for today's audiences...

That would make more sence... but I'm still sad :cry:

Archived