Are the Tokyo Shock Shaws done for?

waywardsage

waywardsage

I haven't noticed any new Tokyo Shock Shaw's in a long time. Or any Shaws for that matter. Is Tokyo Shock done for? What happened to Brave Archer 2 and the Magnificent Ruffians? Are they left in limbo forever?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope not, although I know that early this year, Media Blasters reduced their staff by more than half, so unfortunately it's probably just a matter of time...

Killer Meteor

From memory, they still have to release Magnificent Ruffians, Brave Archers 2 and 3, Lady Is The Boss, Masked Avengers, Rebel Intruders and Chinatown Kid.

Killer Meteor
In Febuary, at Mega-Con, they said Kid With The Golden Arm on blu-ray was next.

What's the point of re-releasing stuff on blu ray when they have unreleased films?

What's the point of re-releasing stuff on blu ray when they have unreleased films?

Exactly! get the DVDs out 1st

It's a mess... Everytime we get excited of news for what's to come-we get sideswiped by yet further news of what may not.

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Killer Meteor
It's a mess... Everytime we get excited of news for what's to come-we get sideswiped by yet further news of what may not.

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

I'm worried that Chinatown Kid in particular may never happen - it may have been the only chance to see if a longer chinese edit exists.

As long as they keep releasing titles, I'm happy. They do need to pickup the pace.

What was the last kung fu title they released?

Killer Meteor
What was the last kung fu title they released?

I think it was either Iron Bodyguard or Lion Vs Lion - last summer?

Guest Markgway

Logic would dictate they release the DVD and BD versions at the same time. Problem solved.

masterofoneinchpunch
And that was a god awful film!

There were aspects of the film I really did like including the lion dancing. I found the Johnny Wang and Chin Yuet-sang fight scene excellent. I know several who really dig the giant razor fight. I enjoyed the fighting but was so-so on the plot and humor.

Mark Pollard has one of the better reviews here: http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/lion-vs-lion-1981

Logic would dictate they release the DVD and BD versions at the same time. Problem solved.

logic would dictate that they release the DVD and if it sells well then it's worth putting the Blu-ray out:wink:

If you are interested I keep track of all the R1 Shaw releases here: http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showp...34&postcount=2

So yeah the latest release from them was:

June 28, 2011: Lion vs Lion (14)

That really isn't promising as it's nearly a year

Killer Meteor
There were aspects of the film I really did like including the lion dancing. I found the Johnny Wang and Chin Yuet-sang fight scene excellent. I know several who really dig the giant razor fight. I enjoyed the fighting but was so-so on the plot and humor.

Mark Pollard has one of the better reviews here: http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/lion-vs-lion-1981

Here's mine

LION VS LION (1981)

The first half of this Shaw comedy is pretty excruciating, with endless scenes of comedy relief (relief from what?) and yet another excuse for me to by mystified by the fact that Wang Yu (the comic star, not Jimmy) was a big star at the time, as he's really dreadful. Lo Meng does provide some great kung fu though, and when the plot actually arrives nearly an hour into the picture, things improve. The titular Lion dance occurs part way through the film, and features blatant cheating from our "heroes". The dance itself is very impressive. Later, a great fight between Wang Lung Wei and Chin Yuet Sang proves a highlight and shows what this picture SHOULD have been. The finale is a bizarre mix of half-assed Chang Cheh style heroics and half-assed jiangshi horror, which kinda sums up the film as a whole: half assed.

5/10

PS - this is yet another crap kung fu comedy where we are presented with kid penis jokes. Be warned

Lo Meng is the main reason I bought Lion Vs. Lion. I don't really like the movie either, but there are some decent fights.

Killer Meteor
Lo Meng is the main reason I bought Lion Vs. Lion. I don't really like the movie either, but there are some decent fights.

Lo Meng is such an incredible fighter - you can really feel the strength behind every move.

One of my absolute favorite films with Venoms in it is Invincible Shaolin. The training sequences are so great. Lo Meng was seriously strong.

I'm pretty much just buying blu-rays at this point. So for me the last release from Media Blasters was Five Element Ninja. Which was a couple months back.

Killer Meteor
I'm pretty much just buying blu-rays at this point. So for me the last release from Media Blasters was Five Element Ninja. Which was a couple months back.

I haven't gone Blu Ray yet. I think it's bad enough being addicted tor regular dvds!

I just got some discouraging news...

From Media Blasters:

"We are actually looking at other martial arts titles but none are Shaw Brothers at this time."

:squigglemouth:

Archived