Phillip Ko Fei

18JadeArafats

18JadeArafats

Man, the Ma Chin Ku thread got me looking up youtube clips of the guy. Couldn't identify most of the movies on this montage, but wow - is it a coincidence that fights with him make people I normally don't like look legit (e.g. David Chiang, Norman Chiu):

Whoever said he's got a distinctive style of movement got it spot on. Something about the attack and decay of his shapes: watching the Norman Chiu fight immediately reminded me that Ko Fei was the baddie in The Victim.

Truly a badass, last picture I saw of him he still looks pretty fit and young, love to see him get back on screen, HK needs some of these older actors to back in their movies.

That was a nice showcase of Meiko Kaji too!

stuntpeople

You gotta wonder what happened to him. After 1981 he didn't do much fighting except for that bit in Twinkle. Until then, everything he did was gold

prinnysquad

He was great in Shaolin Intruders and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter (post 1981, iirc).

I watched Tiger Over Wall on Thursday - what a performance! The last half hour was wall-to-wall Ko Fei quality. I also rate his work in Duel of 7 Tigers, Two on the Road and The Loot. His shapes are quite unlike anyone else's, especially the way he'll shoot off some moves in the opposite direction as he's advancing on an opponent. It's all so elaborate, and always with a flourish. Top, top shapes man.

• Like 1

I haven't seen Tiger Over Wall for years, will have to upgrade my battered copy. I always compare him to Dick Wei, in that they both came across as fierce fighters in so many of their performances on screen. I think Ko Fei did a bunch of low budget 90s films, as a director, with people like Yukari Oshima?

• Like 1

BlackLamaFaction

His fight against Leung Kar Yan at the end of Cantonen Iron Kung Fu personifies everything that I love about shapes choreography. Ko Fei just had a wonderfully intricate way of moving, and when he had on screen fights with people of equal skill (Cliff Lok, Leung Siu Lung, etc) the results were just mind blowing...

silver hermit
You gotta wonder what happened to him. After 1981 he didn't do much fighting except for that bit in Twinkle. Until then, everything he did was gold

he did some good work with jackie and sammo along with the shaws was the best of his last out put. he always popped up as a nasty villian in some cheaper productions but when he started to make stuff like ultra cop 2000 (even with his kwan do work) that pretty much spelled the end.

mark houghton said he liked filming with ko fei because he always manage to add real kung fu.

JeeGND2-L6I

HSb2dtAASc8

KUuC-pA-81s

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

He was less prolific after that, but still....

Legend Of A Fighter.... superb egg crushing style!

Shaolin Intruders.... insanity!

Opium And The Kung Fu Master.... shapes ahoy!

I Will Finally Knock You Down Dad... bench fu... better than Jackie ever did!

8 Diagram Polefighter.... probably some of the best polefighting ever!

Profile In Anger.... not much style, but what a fucking WACKO!!!

Eastern Condors, Dragon Family, Dragons Forever..........

• Like 2

Ko Fei is a BADASS!!! Doesn't get nearly recognition he deserves. I have appreciated his performances in anything I've seen him in.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Have no clue how I wound up on that page, the internet winds you off in so many directions some nights:xd:

So this was not what you expected when you typed in 'Fillipino action' in the search engine:tongue::crossedlips:

Glad to see he's still working though, and that he still looks good and happy.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Nice pics Tosh.

I first remember seeing Phillip Ko in a Carter Wong movie:

Killers from Above.

and after that in so many movies. He was always great in any role he played.

Do you all love him more as a good guy or as a bad guy.... I go w/ BAD GUY for sure!

GD Y-Y

Ko Fei, Lo Lieh and Yuen Wah came across pretty scary as Charlie Chin's team in On The Run. I know it's not a kung fu flick really but they had a menacing aura to them.

• Like 1

Think Ko Fei was at his best in Two on the Road, his Horse boxing combining with Beardy's Dragon fist, is what I pay money for. Thought he was wicked in Two Wondrous Tigers too....Phillip at Goldig just meant pukka shapes-play...

• Like 2

i liked him in tiger over the wall his character was really intense and that stray mantis at the end was heavy.

this is the last shapes i can remember seeing from him

oh2rfvjeu8s

18JadeArafats

Thanks for the tip on Cantonen Iron Kung Fu. Now I'm gonna get me some more Ko Fei & Leung Kar Yan action.

Great to hear he's still working. In Vietname even!

Cognoscente
On 4/14/2012 at 6:42 PM, stuntpeople said:

He was probably burned out. In 1979, he could be seen in 18 films!

• Like 3

ShawAngela
12 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

He was probably burned out. In 1979, he could be seen in 18 films!

Maybe he didn't do fights in movies, but if I'm not mistaken, he played in martial arts TV series after 1981. Our friend @rdennmust know better than me about this matter.

Unless I'm mistaken, his series Thirsty for revenge and The broken hearted swordsman were shot around 1984, I don't know the exact year, but it seems to me that it could be around this period. And I don't know if he played in other TV series, we need a expert, here !

• Like 3

thundered mantis

Not usually mentioned, but for me his final fight with Bruce Liang  on Fists, Kicks and Evils is among his top performanced. 

His Dreadnaught fight is also superb. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1