Triad Trilogy

daisho2004

Has anyone seen these movies they sound really good?

Jimmy (Louis Koo) decides he'd rather go straight than follow mob boss Lok (Simon Yam) as the head of a notorious Triad gang. With the most qualified candidate out of the race, Lok attempts to hold onto power by pitting his would-be successors against one another in a "Triad Election" (2006), but the government has a plan to blackmail Jimmy and make him return to the brutal campaign. Hong Kong crime thriller co-stars Nick Cheung, Ka Tung Lam. Also includes "Triad Underworld" and "Election" (2005). 4 1/2 hrs. total. Widescreen; Soundtrack: Cantonese DTS 5.1; Subtitles: English, Spanish. In Cantonese with English subtitles

81YAiAXN7pL._AA1500_.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Election I & II (Election and Triad Election) are very good. I am about to watch Election again this week. The story follows one of the 5 families seeking to elect a new boss and how the sacred "Baton" which is hidden by the new boss must remain in his possession during his tenure or it's a tremendous loss of face, as well as position in the family. Outstanding performances by Tony Leung Ka Fa and Simon Yam. Must see! Part II picks up immediately where part one leaves off. Simon Yam and Louis Koo continue the story.

I have not seen the third film in this set (original title: Jiang Hu), but I can tell you it was made years earlier-with Andy Lau, and has nothing to do with the other films.

masterofoneinchpunch

The two Election films are quite good. I prefer the first, but I have some friends who prefer the second (I think the second overdoes one infamous scene). Johnnie To has talked awhile about possibly doing a third in the series.

Look for a small role in the first film with David Chiang.

Don't fish with your boss.

I also haven't seen the other film in the set.

Is there any new extras? Did it lose any extras? Notes on R1 extras for Election. Notes on R1 extras for Triad Election.

This thread should be in the Hong Kong Cinema Forum.

Anyway, great to see US BD releases of To's classic crime films (among his best works). Wonder how they compare with the HK BD releases though.

This thread should be in the Hong Kong Cinema Forum.

@DiP: Well I honestly think we have to many threads on here as it is! So maybe I should've posted it there but 1st. I tried to see if anyone wrote a review of this movie before I posted it, and nobody did.

Now the only think I don't like about this is that all 3 movies are only on 1 Disc. But I ordered it from Walmart.com it had the best price, with free s/h from site to store.

@DiP: Well I honestly think we have to many threads on here as it is!

I think it would be wise to mash different films of a country into one single forum. However, that would go against the site's nature because it's called Kung Fu Cinema. That's why these different films are being divided into different forums. Taking that into consideration, the Elections films as well as Jiang Hu should be in the appropriate forum as they don't have martial arts action and are crime films.

As far as the threads go I do like that certain ones are broken down into different genre's but I feel some of them should be combined not all just some. Maybe I should've put this in the HK section but like The Dragon said the Mods can just move it.

DeathFuMaster
@DiP: Well I honestly think we have to many threads on here as it is! So maybe I should've posted it there but 1st. I tried to see if anyone wrote a review of this movie before I posted it, and nobody did.

Now the only think I don't like about this is that all 3 movies are only on 1 Disc. But I ordered it from Walmart.com it had the best price, with free s/h from site to store.

I can already tell you that the quality is very subpar for blu-ray. All three movies don't even come close to filling up the disc. They are basically a little better than dvd quality. All in all, it IS a cheap way to get all three movies. The company that released them said they would try to do something to fix their mistake of releasing a low quality product, but no word yet. I also don't know what they would be able to do at this point.

Spoiler Alert in review: OK I just finished watching all 3 films between yesterday and today. And there are no extras whatsoever. OK I thought all 3 films were very good. Election & Triad Election 2 follow back to back kinda of, but it doesn't make sense. Big D was killed at the end of Election but is back playing the same part in Election 2 there is no reason for that, so I didn't like. There was a totally brutal scene in TE2 where Jimmy cuts up this Guy and grounds him into chopped human meat and feeds it to the dogs to set an example to get these other Guys to turn on there Boss! That scene was Crazy as hell!

Now Triad Underworld had a good storyline but it really never explained the whole lottery system so I was kinda disappointed with that but the twist at the end how it all came together was good.

Overall for the price you get 3 Gangster HK Yakuza movies that are really good.

What you saw of Big D (Tony Leung Ka-Fai) was a flashback of his commitment with the triads before the events of the first film.

What you saw of Big D (Tony Leung Ka-Fai) was a flashback of his commitment with the triads before the events of the first film.

@DiP: Oh no My Kung-Fu Brother you are very wrong with that! You need to watch it again. Because Big D said it was his turn to become Chairman and Jimmy didn't want it but he had no choice, and Lok just got greedy and wanted a 2nd. term which was against the Hung History policy. So it wasn't a flashback ...

Haven't seen this in quite a while so my memory's a bit off. But I just skimmed through the sequel looking for Big D and I still don't know what you're talking about. Tony Leung Ka-Fai ain't even credited. What version did you watch?

M.H. Boroson

Election and Election 2 (aka Triad Election) are brilliant. 2 doesn't pick up immediately after 1, it's centered around an election that takes place two years after the election in the first one, but the first one ends months after the election and the second one begins months before the next election. It's safe to say there's a year or more between the movies.

I agree that this shouldn't be in a Kung Fu section, since the movies don't have kung fu, but I just wanted to add my voice to say: those two movies ROCK!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Daisho, are you sure you're not mistaking Mark Cheng for Leung Ka Fai? They look kinda similar. Haven't watched E2 in a long time, but im almost 100% sure he's not in it.

Guys I'm telling you I'm not mistaken and both of those Guys Mark Cheng & Leung Ka Fai are in part 2 I just watched it yesterday. Mark Cheng's character is a Hired Hitman in the movie that works for Jimmy, and I could not understand how they bring back Leung Ka Fai back from the Dead he is telling Lok the samething that there can be 2 Chairman and its his turn he waited his 2 years to become Chairman. And at the End he gets into it in the Truck with Mark Cheng with the machete's.

@MHB - Is right the movie takes place 2 years after the 1st. movie because Lok's time is up and its time for a new Chairman to be elected. Everything made sense except for Leung Ka Fai, watch it again you'll see him sitting right there with them all. And he's in the entire movie, there was no flashback or anything.

OK this is why its confusing Big D is now Kun in the movie but its the same character he is Big D he was promised to be the next Chariman if he stepped down in the 1st. movie and supported Lok that is why everyone is confused. It still don't make no sense you can use the same Guy's in a movie but don't use the same plot story where it is from the 1st. movie. And he tells him the samething he did in the 1st. movie that there can be 2 Chairman.

Plot

Lok (Simon Yam) is now holding his position as triad chairman of the Wo Shing society unthreatened in Hong Kong. As his two-year term expires, a new chairman election nears, but Lok contemplates breaking tradition, attempting to seek re-election. At the same time, Jimmy (Louis Koo) is trying to escape Wo Shing by building a legitimate business empire in mainland China. When he is arrested in an illegal financial trade with a government official for the building of a new logisitics center and highway, the section chief of the National Security Bureau forbids him to re-enter the mainland to do business, unless he becomes Wo Shing's next chairman. Reluctant, but forced to accept the reality he can never truly exit the triads, Jimmy enters into the election nomination, with Jet (Nick Cheung) and Kun (Lam Ka-Tung) also seeking the chairman position.

Lok first negotiates with Kun, claiming Wo Shing's "Uncles" will support Kun, so long as they team up for a joint election bid. Kun then kidnaps and places Jimmy's financial supporter Mr. Kwok in a coffin alive with Big Head, so as to eliminate the competition. Lok also asks Jet to asssassinate Jimmy, also claiming the "Uncles" will support Jet. Unfortunately, Jet does not complete the assassination, following Jimmy warning the youth Lok will most likely have him and Kun killed, once Jimmy is dead. Mr. So, having been similarly arrested in the mainland for an illegal gambling ring, allies with Jimmy to see to his election as chairman. Meanwhile, Lok hides the Dragon Head Baton, the symbol of Wo Shing's leadership, in mainland China, hoping to reassert his power, then outright kills "Uncle" Teng Wai (Wong Tin-Lam), after Teng blasts Lok for breaking Wo Shing tradition. Seeing the corruption and civil war escalating in the society, Jimmy kidnaps Lok's lieutenants and bribes them to work for him. After exposing Kun for kidnapping Mr. Kwok and Big Head, while ordering Lok's lieutenants to murder the chairman, Jimmy's nomination is successful, and he wins the election.

Back in mainland China, the section chief congratulates Jimmy for winning and hands the Dragon Head Baton Lok hid. However, the Security Bureau is tired of seeing the baton entering the mainland for years and having to re-deliver it back to Wo Shing. In the hopes this will not happen again, the section chief orders Jimmy to become Wo Shing's chairman permanently, establishing the society as a family enterprise. The furious Jimmy cannot believe these turn of events, hoping once his two-year term as chairman expires, he can finally go "clean". Upon visiting his wife, whom he sent into hiding during the election for her safety, she announces her pregnancy. Jimmy embraces her hiding both fear and horror at the prospect of his son being trapped in a life he wants no part of.

Cast

Louis Koo Tin-Lok: Jimmy Lee

Simon Yam Tat-Wah: Lam Lok

Nick Cheung Ka-Fai: Jet

Eddie Cheung Siu-Fai: Mr. So

Lam Suet: Big Head

Gordon Lam: Kun

Wong Tin-Lam: "Uncle" Teng Wai

Tam Ping-Man: "Uncle" Cocky

Mark Cheng

Andy On

You Yong

Um... What???? Gordon Lam Ka-Tung played Kun in the first film who was working for Baldy (bald, dark-skinned gang boss). Kun is the one in red shirt who chases and beats Lam Suet in the meadow for escaping with the dragon baton. Lam returned as the same character in the second film working for Lok. Look up HKMDB for clear info on both films because they can have the tendency of mixing up different characters with each other for some viewers.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, the character you're talking about is Kun played by Gordon Lam. I just watched the entire movie, just to be sure.

OK I'm going to stand corrected here, I thought it was the same Actor they do look very similar. But he was playing the same character where as he was promised to be next in line for the Chairman Spot. That is what I don't get.

Leung Ka Fai:

105609634.jpg

Gordon Lam Ka-Tung:

lam_gordon_5.jpg

TibetanWhiteCrane

Nope, not the same character. Lok promised that spot left and right to get what he wanted. He also promised it to Jet (Nick Cheung) a lowly killer with no obvious shot at the head of the table.

I know that but at the end of part #1 the next Chairman was promised to Big D to avoid an internal War,and in pt.#2 Lok was making false promises to everyone, since he never had any intentions of giving up the Chairman post.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yes, it was promised to Big D, but he died, so maybe Kun was next after him. I don't really remember his role in the first story, since it's been a while.

Archived