Was Hwang Jang Lee blacklisted?

Killer Meteor

Well is was directed by Ng See Yuen, with the likes of Yuen Woo-ping and Roy Horan involved. Feels in many ways like a Seasonal Film.

Never thought of it like that, but, you're right.

:nerd:

Guest Markgway
I knew I forgot something...was that a co-production with Seasonal?

Don't believe Seasonal had any official involvement, but it's an interesting thought... film was a Golden Harvest-South Korean co-production, Ng was just a director for hire here and brought Roy Horan on board. Given how much of the film is martial arts (directed by Yuen Wo-Ping) and recycled footage it's debatable what pecentage of the finished product Ng actually directed (when you also factor in stuff likely shot by a Korean second unit).

dionbrother

I asked Conan Lee what it was like working with HJL, and he said Hwang was a great guy and would teach you any move you wanted to learn on the set of NINJA IN THE DRAGON'S DEN. Now it is Conan Lee saying this, but I've no reason to doubt him.

On 08/04/2012 at 6:24 PM, Killer Meteor said:

Somewhere at the back of my mind, I recall reading that Hwang Jang Lee was blacklisted for a time in Hong Kong, due to him hurting Jackie Chan whilst Snake In The Eagle's Shadow.

I'm pretty sure that rumor was started by Jeff Rovin's The Official Jackie Chan Sourcebook, where he remarked that THE ART OF HIGH-IMPACT KICKING should've called "How to End a Career with One Kick."

• Like 1

Hwang was never black listed, yes he kicked out Jackie Chan's cap in Snake in the Eagles Shadow, and when i interviewed him for the long lost Hong Kong Legends interview we discussed that, and he admitted that perhaps he and Jackie didnt get along too on that set, but then Chan worked with again on Drunken Master and Hwang continued to work at Shaws, Golden Harvest, D & B, Seasonal and various indie companies in Hong Kong until about 1990 and then moved back to Korea where he continued to work for a good few years before taking a break from the industry

• Like 6

Killer Meteor

Damn, if only that interview could appear on Eureka's Snake in the Eagle's Shadow release - assuming that's still on the cards.

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Damn, if only that interview could appear on Eureka's Snake in the Eagle's Shadow release - assuming that's still on the cards.

I think the actual film/video of the interview was lost by Hong Kong Legends?, just don't quote me on that.

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Eureka's Snake in the Eagle's Shadow release - assuming that's still on the cards.

Fingers crossed this project goes ahead.

Nice profile picture @Killer Meteor.

Cognoscente

When Tower of Death went into pre-production in the middle of 1978, Yuen Woo-Ping was in demand almost as much as his dad and Hwang Jang-Lee. YWP worked on Drunken Master around the same time as The Instant Kung Fu Man and Born Invincible*. When Drunken Master became the highest-grossing martial arts movie in HK, Golden Harvest were even more determined to have YWP work for them.

The offer for Ng & YWP to do TOD was really a bait-and-switch tactic from GH's viewpoint i.e. use the promise of new Game of Death footage to lure them in and seize the opportunity to snatch YWP, who still had to complete his contractual obligation to Seasonal with Dance of the Drunk Mantis (much like how JC's contract with Lo Wei had to be honoured with Fearless Hyena).

Look what happened next in 1979 for GH: YWP worked on The Magnificent Butcher before going on to direct future movies for GH in the form of Dreadnaught, The Miracle Fighters and Shaolin Drunkard.

* The HKMDB doesn't mention this but Born Invincible played in HK cinemas from 16/11/78 to 29/11/78. It earned HK$ 1,371,971.90.

Source: http://www.boxofficecn.com/hkboxoffice1978

• Like 4