Wong Yue.

peringaten

I know about the man's kung fu, but not much about the man himself. Anyone got the skinny, what happened with Wong Yue? Did life go downhill for him?

Respect to one of the greats, often underappreciated in the shadow of more obvious talents imo.

Cheers Teako! I thought I was up with most things posted on the Shaw forum over the years - didn't think I even needed to search, guess that one escaped me...

Killer Meteor

Is it a coincidence that Shaws introduced this Wang Yu the same year his namesake assumed "Jimmy" in his name? Was the comic version intended by Shaws to be an insult to their estranged original star?

Cognoscente
On 4/6/2012 at 1:45 AM, peringaten said:

Anyone got the skinny, what happened with Wong Yue? Did life go downhill for him?

Respect to one of the greats, often underappreciated in the shadow of more obvious talents imo.

Wong Jing made it very clear in his memoir that Wong Yue's life went down the toilet. When talking about life after 1982, Jing said: "Wong Yue began to decline because of the decreasing attitude towards Shaw's dwindling power. Like many youngsters, fame-driven fortune may have come too soon and too fast for him. It didn't help that he was disrespectful to Shaw's biggest stars – Ti Lung and David Chiang."

Jing admits why he didn't work with Wong Yue again after Girl with the Diamond Slipper: "He borrowed money for cocaine. He also borrowed my car. In one month, I received eighteen tickets. I tried to transfer the car to him but he sold it for a cheap price. Wong Yue was more damaged than my car. His girlfriend left him after he became bankrupt. People say that he got worse after taking heroin. I last saw him as a hawker in the late nineties. When I talk to youngsters, I use his story as an anti-drug lesson. As an actor, he would have been terrific if he was cast opposite Jet Li or Stephen Chow."

During the making of the first God of Gamblers, Jing unexpectedly ran into him (or vice versa rather): "I gave Wong Yue money for the last time. I felt sorry for him because his wife was pregnant, which reminded me of our first movie together. I could relate to him even more because I had a second daughter who was 2 at the time. Speaking of time, he showed up at the front of my house at half 5 in the morning. He was afraid that he awakened my wife. He must have got into trouble with a loan-shark, because I noticed that he had a bloody hand. I got very angry. However, I am very sympathetic and forgiving, so I gave him H.K.$ 1000."

• Like 3