Tai Chi 0

Drunken Monk

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

The voiceover on that trailer started out amusingly enough....but by the end I was just cringing, not sure if it just doesn't appeal to my sense of humor.

That said...it includes pretty much zero fight footage as well, although I appreciate the fact they're trying to find an angle to market Asian film to a Western audience, not sure if this is the way though.

voicever sounds like he is mocking the movie, i want to see some footage of bruce liang, fung hak on and yuen biao as they are supposed to be in this movie.

I want to see some actual fight footage and not just people getting flung through the air. Oh and that voiceover was atrocious.

_LSX_UH0F9g

Y'all do know this trailer is parody, made by machinima

it actually highlights what Ive said to my friends all along, this is Wild wild west...in the east...minus Salma & big willy

the way they play it up with the voiceover makes me keen for beers & a laugh

This gets a limited theatrical release tomorrow and is playing about five minutes away from where I live! The reviews have been pretty lukewarm, labeling it as "fun" rather than an all out kung fu extravaganza, but I'm sure it will be worth a watch.

ShaOW!linDude

Are you going to go check it out, DM? I'd be interested in hearing what you think if you do. I'm impressed with Stephen Fung as a filmmaker. I really enjoyed House of Fury but I think from the looks of the trailers that this will be more f/x heavy than fu based. Still...I'm curious about this.

Are you going to go check it out, DM? I'd be interested in hearing what you think if you do. I'm impressed with Stephen Fung as a filmmaker. I really enjoyed House of Fury but I think from the looks of the trailers that this will be more f/x heavy than fu based. Still...I'm curious about this.

Curious is definitely the word to use. The trailers seem to downplay the kung fu but, considering it's called "Tai Chi Zero," I'd expect at least a little.

I'm hoping to check it out this weekend and, hopefully, I'll write a full review of it as I haven't done that in a while.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Actually, that voice over made the trailer! Tongue in cheek for sure, but at least it was honest, unlike 99% of those awful trailers usually made to promote asian films in the US.

I just got back from a showing of "Tai Chi Zero" and I can honestly say that, as fans, you should avoid this film like the plague. It's fucking HORRIBLE.

I'll write a full review tomorrow but, for now, I will say it isn't even a king if film. It's a fantasy adventure with some terribly edited, wire heavy novelty Tai Chi sprinkled on top to lure in optimistic martial arts fans.

Not impressed at all.

TibetanWhiteCrane

If you went into this expecting a martial arts movie, you were bound to be dissapointed. I don't know if you did or not. The MA aside, did everything suck? Fx, comedy, acting etc.?

If you went into this expecting a martial arts movie, you were bound to be dissapointed. I don't know if you did or not. The MA aside, did everything suck? Fx, comedy, acting etc.?

I would say the FX were fine and, in parts, the comedy worked very well indeed. Very "Scott Pilgrim"-esque.

However, the plot, characters and random melodrama just failed on every level. This is a BAD film. A mess is the best description I have for it. It didn't hold my attention at all. The kung fu on display being dismal didn't help much, either.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Ok, that's a shame. Liked both House Of Fury and, to a lesser extent, Enter The Phoenix. Haven't seen that mainland gymnastics movie he did.

Saw this yesterday (subtitled, 4K Digital Projection) and really liked it. Yes, if you go into it expecting a straight-up martial arts film you will be disappointed, but if you are looking for an entertaining and witty piece of popcorn fun you won't regret watching it. Can't wait for the sequel, Tai Chi Hero. It reminded me of a wire-fu HK film from the 90s, with better production values, fun animated segments and pop-up graphics and contemporary music. Lotta fun.

Don't know why anyone is expecting anything from China with a martial title to be a martial flick. Haven't you learned? Yeah the trailer will have action as the lie to draw you in but it will be a movie. Whatever kind, but not martial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laRpF4fywK4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exe2lWcQPQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glon3jBqBvo

Swing vote!!!! How about torrent??:nerd:

I wouldn't bother wasting your time at all but hey, not everyone dislikes what I dislike. You might love it.

phoenix_darshan

its certainly rated up there with the big shots of kungfu cinema, but it offers a fresh approach and i evencaught myself enjoying the modern graphics, not sold on the machine and the story line, i expected to see more of the "horn" mode, but it was good entertainment and there are certainly more gripping fights than in "man with the iron fist" for example.

Watched both parts and enjoyed them for what they were. A bit of a laugh with over the top action. Pop up graphics made me think I was watching a video game! Thought the leading female Angelababy was very pretty.

Archived