Ip Man 3 - 3D (2015)

Maz

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

Twitch also mentioned that Bruce Lee will be in the film, but he'll be entirely CGI. That sounds terrible.

Noelle Shadow Kick
Twitch also mentioned that Bruce Lee will be in the film, but he'll be entirely CGI. That sounds terrible.

Nooooooooooo

absolutely love Tyson in this.. But Lee being 100% CGI is horse shit! They say because they couldn't find anyone to match lees intensity!

Haha! A black property developer with a tribal face tattoo in 1950s Hong Kong and a CGI Bruce Lee. Yeah, this has got fail written all over it.

The Amazing Psycho Per

3D, Mike Tyson and... A CGI Bruce Lee... For fuck's sake!:cry: That's three strikes. I'm out!

This is possibly the most random cast addition I'ev seen in a film, but it will be interesting to see hw he copes with Woo Ping's choreography. As for CGI Bruce, not too sure. I'm guessing everyone saw that CGI Yen vs Lee fight scene video? That was pretty impressive, it should be similar to that.

Haha! A black property developer with a tribal face tattoo in 1950s Hong Kong..........
Actually I do see this one making sense.

Tattooes have been uses in China for thousand of years.

It was common practice to tattoo characters on people faces especially criminals, even as lat as during the Qing dynasty..

In the novel "Water Margin" Wu Sung (famously played by Ti Lung in All Men are Brothers, Delighful Forest & Tiger Killer) was given a face tattoo as part of his punishment for killing his brother's killers.

Also in that same novel there were other characters that had tattooes. Yan Qing (played by David Chiang), Lu Zhishen (played by Pang Pang) & Shi Jin (Chen Kuan Tai).

I know some people whould not want to accept it and the likes but I think it (Tyson & his tattoes) would fit ring in for that time period.

Can we now just retire the whole HK action cinema genre? I haven't checked this thread in a while then suddenly I hear some crazy stuff going on regarding the new movie. Too much info in one day for me to take in. Mike Tyson, digital BL and Yuen Woo-Ping? Not sure if HK has completely run out of ideas or they are headed back to the bat-shit-crazy cinema of the 90`s. By god, just give Yip a freakin cape already so he can fly and kick ass at the same time. :bigsmile:

Not sure what part of Yip`s life we are going to get now. I pretty much thought that it had been covered by now (yeah, i know these films are not completely true). And, why do they have to throw in BL all the time? That angle is getting pretty damn old by this point in time. So, if Bruce is gonna be in it then they are either gonna show Bruce as an student or perhaps after Bruce went back to HK and became famous. That is the only 2 times Bruce was around Ip that I ever heard of. But, Bruce`s return to HK was already shown in Ip Man: The Final Fight. Really no need to show that again.

Now, my question is how old is Bruce Lee supposed to be in this installment and why didn't just bring the kid who played him in the end of IP MAN 2. It's been 5 years already. Could be a fit.

Bruce Lee's younger brother Robert is a consultant on the new film, so he will be involved in the aspect with Ip and Bruce...but still...a CGI Bruce? Ehhhh

sifu iron perm

Mike tyson!!!

I mentioned here a couple years ago that I met mike and spoke to him about kung fu cinema, he loves them and stated he had thousands..vhs, laderdiscs etc. Yen is a big tyson fan too., hope it works out well!

I actually support the idea of a CGI Bruce Lee if the level of quality is seamless but its not an easy task to capture his likeness and mannerism. If I have to take a guess, I believe they went with the Korean visual effects studio, Macrograph to handle these shots since they have done test footage of a digital Bruce Lee before. They worked on The Monkey King and most recently, Zhong Kui: Snow Girl and the Dark Crystal.

Check out their FX videos:

Digital Actor - Bruce Lee

https://vimeo.com/110959639

Digital Actor - Rebirth

https://vimeo.com/110965241

Digital Actor - Face Replacement 1

https://vimeo.com/110967323

Digital Actor - Face Replacement 2

https://vimeo.com/110970305

We all know Mike Tyson is seriously a strong and formidable boxer but is he a good onscreen fighter? There is a difference. I seen many MMA fighters or wrestlers make the crossover to movies before but fail at putting a compelling fight scene. Lets hope Donnie doesn't get knock out by accident.

We all know Mike Tyson is seriously a strong and formidable boxer but is he a good onscreen fighter? There is a difference. I seen many MMA fighters or wrestlers make the crossover to movies before but fail at putting a compelling fight scene. Lets hope Donnie doesn't get knock out by accident.

I think with Tyson admitting he is a fan of these movies, I think his fighting background will help him and he's got Donnie and Yuen Woo-Ping to guide him in learning how film fighting works. We've all seen various kickboxers go from ring to screen and they also learned the difference between ring fighting and film fighting with the right training. I think Tyson will be able to adapt well with the transition. But we will see the final result when the film comes out.

Didn't Ip fight "Iron Mike" in Ip Man 2 already? :bigsmile:

Ok, I know I am stretching it a bit. But, we did see Ip fight the bigger, muscled, boxer ("The Twister")* in the end fight of 2. I hope that they don't attempt to repeat that again. They sorta failed with that fight anyways regarding using Wing Chun theory. But, that is for another thread. I just hope that they keep this film fresh and interesting and do not repeat stuff from the previous films. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Also, I think its sorta funny regarding the video for Iron Mike cause it almost seems to make one think that Mike doesn't know that Ip has been dead for a while now. "I`m coming for you, Ip!" Very funny. I know that it is advertising for the film but if people were not following it, it might seem rather odd. Or, perhaps Iron Mike thinks that Donnie Yen is Ip. :tongue:

*Rip Darren Shahlavi

Morgoth Bauglir

Tyson does have the IQ of a child, so it is entirely possible that he thinks Ip Man is alive. In an interview about Punch Out for the Nintendo, he says that he doesn't have much of an opinion on it because he could never defeat Glass Joe. Who would have thought Tyson's toughest opponent would be Glass Joe:squigglemouth:

Ip Man 2 was bad enough when halfway through the movie it turned into a clone of Rocky 4 because it seemed like they ran out of ideas, The idea of having Mike Tyson in the new film just confirms that. Cannot see it working in any shape or form. HK Cinema really is at a low, thank god for the new movies of Johnnie To and Ringo Lam.

ShaOW!linDude

Gotta say my own interest echoes Rees'. The more Tyson's involvement is hyped, the more my enthusiasm deflates. Who knows? Maybe I'll be surprised, and it'll turn out to be really good.

Oh, wait...didn't they also say they were going to have a CGI Bruce Lee (a caricature, because in truth, that's what it is) in this film, too?

Now my enthusiasm sounds like a whoopie cushion someone sat on.

There's a possibility that "Bruce Lee" may not be in Ip Man 3:

Bruce Lee Enterprises, LLC (BLE) – owner of all intellectual property rights related to Bruce Lee, including worldwide rights relating to the his name, image, likeness, persona, signature, voice, attributes, marks, logos, symbols, works, photographs and writings – is seeking to stop the icon’s image from appearing in Ip Man 3. BLE’s COO, Kris Storti, stated that the estate is “justifiably shocked” to learn that the image of Bruce Lee in Ip Man 3 is “completely unauthorized.” The producers of Ip Man 3 have the cooperation of Robert Lee, Bruce Lee’s brother; however, BLE contended that “Robert Lee does not own or control any intellectual property rights associated with Bruce Lee, including, without limitation, any rights to Bruce Lee’s name, likeness and image.” In the meantime, Ip Man 3 producer, Raymond Wong, says the matter will be handled by lawyers.

http://www.cityonfire.com/will-we-see-a-ip-man-3-in-3d/

I totally oppose the idea of Bruce Lee's image (CGI or live) in the film. I hope they succeed in stopping that.

Archived