Ip Man 3 - 3D (2015)

Maz

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shooting will start in Shanghai in late February, and Donnie personally confirmed that Yuen Woo-Ping will be the action director of the film. Producer Raymond Wong also revealed that his Pegasus Motion Pictures company will join forces with Donnie's Super Hero Films company to finance the film.

Sources: http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2015/01/20150107-donnie-yen-wants-to-make-4.html

Can't wait! It's a shame Sammo isn't on board, but since Ip Man is relatively wire free (minus the table fight in 2), hopefully we'll get to see some classic Woo Ping choreography.

ShaOW!linDude
Can't wait! It's a shame Sammo isn't on board, but since Ip Man is relatively wire free (minus the table fight in 2), hopefully we'll get to see some classic Woo Ping choreography.

Really? Because it seems that Sammo's choreography is the more grounded of the 2. The last few films Woo Ping has done I thought were so wire heavy to the point I now cringe if he is associated with a film.

Drunken Monk

Woo Ping's Wing Chun choreography looked great in "The Grandmaster." I imagine that it'll be even more grounded and framed correctly in "ip Man 3" so I'm excited.

Really? Because it seems that Sammo's choreography is the more grounded of the 2. The last few films Woo Ping has done I thought were so wire heavy to the point I now cringe if he is associated with a film.

Ah, sorry the point I was making is that Sammo is largely grounded while Woo Ping seems to have relied on wires a little too much recently, so hopefully he will reign it in for this.

This may present the opportunity for Yen to talk some sense into him (like old times). Woo Ping has been formulaic for so long now. Recycling the same ideas of the past, and his damn fetish for wirework. The guy's style seriously needs a makeover.

Max Zhang (The Grandmaster, From Vegas to Macau, Rise of the Legend and upcoming SPL2) has joined the production and Donnie said himself they'll have a fight scene together

Woo Ping has been formulaic for so long now. Recycling the same ideas of the past, and his damn fetish for wirework. The guy's style seriously needs a makeover.

I agree that Woo Ping’s style has gotten somewhat formulaic and devoid of fresh ideas, with ONCE UPON A TIME IN SHANGHAI being a real low-point. On the other hand, if he’s not just going through the motions and is pushed by an obsessively creative director to outbid himself, he can still deliver pretty exciting action as he did in THE GRANDMASTERS.

But as for Woo Ping’s “fetish of wire-work”? Er… guess you could say the same about Tung Wai and many others, in fact for GOLDEN AGE HK CINEMA as a whole. I mean, hasn’t wire technology helped substantially to create some of the greatest action / MA films ever made? I certainly think so.

Seems to me that some here have a general abhorrence of wire-enhanced action. Of course, the use of wire technology has to fit the occasion, i.e. what works wonderfully in a fantasy wuxia or myth-based costume / period film context might feel totally out of place in a reality-based urban thriller (but even in this idiom there are many exceptions). I believe when used imaginatively wire-work still sets HK action apart, for instance the wire enhancements in KUNG FU JUNGLE worked mighty fine for me. And wasn’t the restaurant table fight one of the most memorable action sequences in IP MAN 2 ?

I got to be honest, I though the table fight in Ip Man 2 was ruined by the unnecessary wire work.

I got to be honest, I though the table fight in Ip Man 2 was ruined by the unnecessary wire work.

yeah i agree was abit silly didnt really fit with rest of the fights

ShaOW!linDude
I mean, hasn’t wire technology helped substantially to create some of the greatest action / MA films ever made? I certainly think so.

Seems to me that some here have a general abhorrence of wire-enhanced action. Of course, the use of wire technology has to fit the occasion, i.e. what works wonderfully in a fantasy wuxia or myth-based costume / period film context might feel totally out of place in a reality-based urban thriller (but even in this idiom there are many exceptions).

As you said: when it fits the occasion. I am one of those who often finds that it should be rarely used, especially for a film with a modern setting. I'm lenient about wire-assisted falls/stunts, but have no tolerance for wire-assisted maneuvers or choreography that borders on absurdity.

And wasn’t the restaurant table fight one of the most memorable action sequences in IP MAN 2 ?

Memorable for its ludicrousness maybe. This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

But hey, it's all apples and oranges on here, ain't it.:wink:

As you said: when it fits the occasion. I am one of those who often finds that it should be rarely used, especially for a film with a modern setting. I'm lenient about wire-assisted falls/stunts, but have no tolerance for wire-assisted maneuvers or choreography that borders on absurdity.

Well, my tolerance of wire technology is obviously considerably higher than yours. And bearing the last four decades of oftentimes genre-mixing & bending HK cinema in mind, I’d say it fits quite often. Just think action comedy HK style. But I understand what you mean. In a realistic, modern-day crime thriller (say of the sort Milkyway produces) or a no-nonsense (i.e. comedy-free) MA / action throwdown (a rarity in HK or HK/China co-op cinema these days) exaggerated wire-work can get quite jarring.

One Armed Boxer
I believe when used imaginatively wire-work still sets HK action apart, for instance the wire enhancements in KUNG FU JUNGLE worked mighty fine for me. And wasn’t the restaurant table fight one of the most memorable action sequences in IP MAN 2 ?

I don't particularly mind wire-work if it's done well. I prefer it when it's used to enhance a move, like Jackie Chan's kick in 'Drunken Master 2', rather than try and create a move that the performer otherwise wouldn't be able to do. That being said, I consider the table fight in 'Ip Man 2' as the lowpoint of all the Ip Man movies, from Lo Meng's puppet on a string entrance, to Sammo & Donnie playing pat-a-cake pat-a-cake hand clapping with each other around the edge of the table, everything about it was awful.

Here's hoping the third installment can redeem the series, as I thought the second was a pretty redundant entry. I'm not even sure why they included Simon Yam in the cast.

But as for Woo Ping’s “fetish of wire-work”? Er… guess you could say the same about Tung Wai and many others, in fact for GOLDEN AGE HK CINEMA as a whole. I mean, hasn’t wire technology helped substantially to create some of the greatest action / MA films ever made? I certainly think so. Seems to me that some here have a general abhorrence of wire-enhanced action. Of course, the use of wire technology has to fit the occasion, i.e. what works wonderfully in a fantasy wuxia or myth-based costume / period film context might feel totally out of place in a reality-based urban thriller (but even in this idiom there are many exceptions). I believe when used imaginatively wire-work still sets HK action apart, for instance the wire enhancements in KUNG FU JUNGLE worked mighty fine for me. And wasn’t the restaurant table fight one of the most memorable action sequences in IP MAN 2 ?

Like many have said in response, I value enhancement onscreen if it's done well. CGI, wirework. My problem with Woo-Ping's wirework is his way of doing them. Watered down, lensing, recognizable ways of using wires for certain maneuvers (back-pulls, jumping up, acrobatics etc). Bottom-line: His wirework has been the same boring mess to me for the past 8 years.

In response to Kung Fu Jungle and Ip Man 2: Donnie and co made a good choice using minimal wirework and emphasizing them real well, and a big mistake of Sammo to even have bothered for that scene respectively. Lo Meng was cheated (who could've displayed much more and better otherwise) and parts of Donnie fighting Sammo made their fight look a tad cartoonish.

According to Well Go USA's newsletter, shooting starts on the 26th. The finalized cast is said to be extraordinary and "mind-blowing" (so who are the other martial talents involved other than Max Zhang?)

Misanthrope

Like others, I have my fingers crossed regarding the wirework.

And was the table fight scene in IP MAN 2 where Sammo did the backflip?

One Armed Boxer
And was the table fight scene in IP MAN 2 where Sammo did the backflip?

No backflip, but he did take to jumping several feet into the air a few times -

p_FMrc5l2d0

Press con will be on 25th.

Directed by Wilson Yip, Action by Yuen Woo Ping.

Cast attending includes - Donnie Yen, Lyn Hung, Zhang Han, Max Zhang, Patrick Tam Yiu Man, Karena Ng, Kent Cheng, Louis Cheung

I hope to hear announcements of more martial talents and vets when the press con happens.

There's a few newbie actors with wushu backgrounds whose names I've never heard joining the production but as for vets, I just found out Leung Kar Yan (Beardy) is in it too!

Archived